Best Buy to stop selling DVD's and Blu-Rays next year.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey

This really sucks. More and more, physical media is being slowly phased out, or at least becoming more of a niche. I really hope Best Buy at least does 1 last sale since there're still quite a few Blu-Ray movies that I'm looking to get.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Last few CDs I bought I had to get from Amazon or directly order from the bands website.
I know this thread is about movies but I imagine it will be similar.
Probably have to order any physical media from places that are like limited run or first press.
Ugh.
Fuck Best buy regardless.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Microsoft's next Xbox doesn't even include a disc drive.

I've kinda clung to physical media for most releases for a while, but they're just going away, period.

In a couple decades they'll have collector value like old systems but, meeeeehhhhhh, a lot of work to play. Industry sucks I guess.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
The only reason to buy from Best Buy was just for the exclusive Steelbook. less overall demand in conjunction with company consolidations/closures mean there is very little money to be made selling optical media. It doesn't help that Walmart is now in charge of dvd distribution company for 2 of the big 5 studios.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fuck em, they haven't even been selling their own exclusive releases in store for a couple years now. The stores are just a nightmare of trendy tech junk. Plus there's never been any incentive to order online from them over Amazon, Walmart or directly from the distributor.

It's a little worrying though, I can see a future where the only movies getting physical releases are really niche things by boutique companies in small quantities. Major studios have already started to get lazy with 4k releases. No special features, fucked up mastering etc. pretty sad.

Sucks that people don't value owning stuff anymore though. If these studios and streaming companies don't get their shit together in the next couple years there's going to be countless movies and shows that are going to be difficult to watch unless you have 20 different streaming subs or like watching whatever shit version is on Tubi or FreeVee with commercials.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
4K streams look worse than a normal Blu-ray on my Panasonic 824.
4K Blu-ray releases were niche from the beginning. Plaion Pictures licensed Warner & Sony releases in Germany. It's already dead here.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
4K streams look worse than a normal Blu-ray on my Panasonic 824.
4K Blu-ray releases were niche from the beginning. Plaion Pictures licensed Warner & Sony releases in Germany. It's already dead here.
Streaming service are often quite compressed. Or if you pay for their 4K service, it's less compressed than their 1080p service.
Blu-ray/ Ultra HD Blu-ray (physical media) are often the way to get the best picture quality for a given movie.

IMO to really get the most from 4K resolution (compared to 1080p), you have to have a 4K OLED TV (or QD-OLED), as the effective resolution is better than a 4K LCD TV. OLED TVs have no "pixel blur"- one pixel blurring into the next. But, once you get to 1080p or higher, colour accuracy is more important than resolution.

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It doesn't matter what TV you have. Streaming quality sucks for video and audio even with 4K. Not comparable to a 4K disc.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Physical blu-rays aren’t going anywhere, hell they aren’t going away in video game consoles despite doomsayers claiming otherwise — no shit Microsoft has the no sex box trying to push this every gen past the 360, but look at the PS5 slim with a DETACHABLE drive because of the shit sales of the digital only release.

Outside video james have been niche from their inception, most normal people think they’re obsolete like DVDs and never watched one. Many mainstream home video labels have given up when they realized this shit ain’t VHS tier, especially regional ones in other countries, but there’s plenty of good stuff still by Arrow, Eureka, Criterion et al if you don’t mind watching stuff in English, and their releases are still excellent.

Plus the niche side of the movie market isn’t as dumb as the FOMO cardboard garbage based videogame market anyway, sure there are some dumb releases sometimes but people are in to actually watch the shit they buy for the most part and there’s a pretty decent model going on for them: either just have it come out on a disc in a regular plastic case, or have a big dicked box jam packed with movies first, lobby cards later to make higher profile releases financially viable then sell those movies separately anyway. Check out how much good shit there is on the Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest box for example, it’s a far cry from the “One (1) classic 90s Arcade Game in a bare bones emulator but we include a lot of tacky cardboard shit that costed 69 cents inside this huge box, keep physical media alive, buy now” crap you see in video games. And Arrow just announced they’re going to release the movies separately recently so no loss if you didn’t want to buy the full thing.

Oh and don’t get me started on how movies declined sharply after streaming and covid anyway, most streaming exclusive shit is disposable as fuck lol.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I'm also curious how long today's physical media will even last. Like Switch games are expected to last 10-20 years as they are basically SD cards. Mask roms are practically indestructible in comparison. Are the discs still being made quality or will they suffer bit rot relatively soon?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Fuck em, they haven't even been selling their own exclusive releases in store for a couple years now. The stores are just a nightmare of trendy tech junk. Plus there's never been any incentive to order online from them over Amazon, Walmart or directly from the distributor.

It's a little worrying though, I can see a future where the only movies getting physical releases are really niche things by boutique companies in small quantities. Major studios have already started to get lazy with 4k releases. No special features, fucked up mastering etc. pretty sad.

Sucks that people don't value owning stuff anymore though. If these studios and streaming companies don't get their shit together in the next couple years there's going to be countless movies and shows that are going to be difficult to watch unless you have 20 different streaming subs or like watching whatever shit version is on Tubi or FreeVee with commercials.
If people rely too much on streaming, and don't buy physical discs, they could eventually lose the the ability to watch movies with a good quality picture.
They stream movies compressed because it saves bandwidth, and a lot of people don't know or care too much about the picture quality.
Like someone else said, a 1080p Blu-ray can be better than a 4K streamed movie.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It's a little worrying though, I can see a future where the only movies getting physical releases are really niche things by boutique companies in small quantities.
YoU wIlL oWn NoThInG aNd YoU wIL bE hApPy!!!!

Seriously though, this isn't a bad thing IMO. I'm all for "stuff" being sold as a high-quality-in-small-quantities-physical-product which you can buy if you really really want and just stream the rest.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
YoU wIlL oWn NoThInG aNd YoU wIL bE hApPy!!!!

Seriously though, this isn't a bad thing IMO. I'm all for "stuff" being sold as a high-quality-in-small-quantities-physical-product which you can buy if you really really want and just stream the rest.
Well what I'm afraid of is the possibility of big companies going the digital rental and purchase as your only option route. Want to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark? That'll be $5.99 to rent or $9.99 and you "own" it. Sure you own it as long as that streaming service is partnered with that studio. Their contract expires, they get bought out etc. you have to re-buy the movie again on another service. Movie studios are not to be trusted.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The fucked up thing I've noticed is that younger people don't seem to be stealing shit the way people our age do. They just bend over and pay for the digital rental because they've been trained their whole lives to accept being nickeled and dimed for digital stuff.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Well what I'm afraid of is the possibility of big companies going the digital rental and purchase as your only option route. Want to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark? That'll be $5.99 to rent or $9.99 and you "own" it. Sure you own it as long as that streaming service is partnered with that studio. Their contract expires, they get bought out etc. you have to re-buy the movie again on another service. Movie studios are not to be trusted.

That's a fair point. I think that applies especially to platforms like Spotify and Apple Music. At the moment you're getting access to tens of millions of songs for a pittance. Eventually the price is going to increase substantially or they will start to split it up like Classic Rock music - $10 a month, Moden Rock Music - $5 a month, Pop music - $10 a month etc.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Well what I'm afraid of is the possibility of big companies going the digital rental and purchase as your only option route. Want to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark? That'll be $5.99 to rent or $9.99 and you "own" it. Sure you own it as long as that streaming service is partnered with that studio.
We've already seen this starting a bit with games. I would love to play Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth, but now I think my only option is to figure out how to pirate it. Sure if you bought it while the service was still up and still have your Wii and its storage hasn't bit the dust you can still play it. That's a lot of ifs.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Access is going down, but at least quality is going up. You can get amazing looking stuff on disc today, with a ton of extras. There are multiple boutique labels that sell stuff for essentially what a VHS tape used to cost. Even the bog standard 4K releases are usually great.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The only reason to buy from Best Buy was just for the exclusive Steelbook. less overall demand in conjunction with company consolidations/closures mean there is very little money to be made selling optical media. It doesn't help that Walmart is now in charge of dvd distribution company for 2 of the big 5 studios.
Whenever I get a steelbook with my preorder I don't know what to do with it. I have a stack of them sitting off to the side like the useless junk they are.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i haven't bought a BluRay since the PS3 era, but that doesn't mean this is a good thing. I totally understand people with movie collections, and concern moving forward. Waiting on digital for something to come out of a vault is already happening.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Whenever I get a steelbook with my preorder I don't know what to do with it. I have a stack of them sitting off to the side like the useless junk they are.
I just meant for the movies. Some were cool, some not so much. Last steelbook I bought from them was 4k Ghost in the Shell. Arrived in the mail dented and they didn’t have any to exchange in store.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I never understood the steelbook. It is the most useless thing in the universe. Besides they rust and scratches super easily.
How about those fake trading cards or postcards you get with most "limited" releases these days. ugh.
I wish they would just have cooler art in the manual.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I never understood the steelbook. It is the most useless thing in the universe. Besides they rust and scratches super easily.
How about those fake trading cards or postcards you get with most "limited" releases these days. ugh.
I wish they would just have cooler art in the manual.
Yeah, and now physical releases are so insignificant that they just give you the standard release with the steelbook 'on the side' so you already have the regular case for the game, which matches better on the shelf anyway. The steelbook is just extra junk I keep unopened off to the side.

If I ever sell it I suppose someone might pay more with it included.