Bangaio Spirits DS

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Gamespot goes by a .5 scale these days, so it's either 8.0 or 8.5. But in any case, Gamespot and IGN suck ass at reviews.

Agreed.

On the positive side, I found this game at Walmart today. Great stuff...quite challenging.

Absolutely intense amount of sprites on screen during the big missile bursts vs multiple enemies.

The game looks fantastic. This is classic Treasure stuff.

Also, this game is very cheap, like most new DS releases these days. It seems like any new non-Nintendo/Square Enix title is less than $30. I have zero problems with that.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Agreed.

On the positive side, I found this game at Walmart today. Great stuff...quite challenging.

Absolutely intense amount of sprites on screen during the big missile bursts vs multiple enemies.

The game looks fantastic. This is classic Treasure stuff.

Also, this game is very cheap, like most new DS releases these days. It seems like any new non-Nintendo/Square Enix title is less than $30. I have zero problems with that.

Agreed, this is very good. I have put about an hour into this so far I am having a lot of fun with it.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
There's something in the wiki for this game that explains the bleep/bloop noises. Something to do with the dev's affinity for retro tape-based storage and transfer media. Yea, like 80s computer cassettes I believe.

Anyway, I think I will try to find this game tonight now that I have a night off work...it will probably be a bitch to find later on.

That's pretty cool. I think it's pretty ingenious.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Played some more today...

What's everyone's favorite weapon setups/mixes?

I guess it could vary on some levels, but in general I have been using Bat/bounce as my main array and homing/bounce MIX as my EX.

The bat seems to be pretty essential as a last ditch flinch reaction sometimes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The really weird thing to get used to, though, is the controls. It doesn't use the 360 degree radial controls from the original (it had that, right?). In this one, you use the d-pad to move your guy, and you use one button to shoot (only using one button for both directions, that's the difference, that's what's harder), one button to boost, and either trigger to launch a "bomb" (or maybe I'm just forgetting and that's exactly how the DC version played. I have it downstairs, guess I could stop being lazy and jog my memory).

You should've waited for the US release! Not only is the dialogue hilarious (the characters don't even break the fourth wall in a tongue-in-cheek way, they go outright and proclaim they know they're in a video game -- loved the part when the kids asked the professor, "And oh yeah, what are our names from?" "Well your name is based on some idol-girl show one of the programmers was fascinated with, and your name comes from the president of a company (Masato Maegawa)."), but you probably would've gotten the hang of it better:
Press Y and B at the same time to switch to single weapons, because unless you have the Bat, Sword, or Shield on, then you're using a Mix of the two.
And press L and R at the same time to switch to single EX Attacks (the 'bombs'), unless you have the Freeze weapon and I think something else, those are also a mix.

ANYWAYS

I played through the Tutorial (which was actually called the Story mode in Japan), and wasn't too wowed by it. In fact I've had reservations about this game the whole time, it just didn't look like my kind of game. I played some puzzle levels and then that was it.

Then! A few hours later, I don't know why, I was oddly enchanted to come back and play! So I played the 'Other Stages' and for some reason had a blast -- I think, by containing the story to just the tutorial, Treasure wanted to get that out of the way, so the player can just blow shit up without having to worry about any kind of cohesion, just moving from level to level, playing the game for the levels and the levels only.

It was an incredibly genius move on Treasure's part to have all the levels there for your choosing; I have contended for quite a while that the perfect handheld games are those that epitomize 'pick up 'n play' -- and not only has Treasure given us access to every level right off the bat so we won't have to slog through the game to get where we want to, but the very nature of this game fits on the handheld so well; some of the levels are only SECONDS long, and when you die, there's no bullshit, just keep pressing buttons and then you're back in the action!

I am going to come out right now and say that Bangai-O Spirits is the very soul of portable gaming and what all handheld titles should aspire to.

Another thing I love is how Treasure made minutes long songs for the Continue screen and Level Complete screen. There is something insanely funny and self-referential that a person would sit thru a 3 minute song after beating a 25 second long level, or dying after only 5 seconds.

As for the actual game itself?
Fun. Pocket-sized levels of challenge, and this game is going to FUCK you in the ASS, so hard, so very hard. You will die countless times, but you won't get frustrated, because again, the levels are so short and you can get right back in the action so quickly.
There have also been a number of times where I've unleashed an EX attack and the game just kinda froze and seemingly broke (a line ripping through the numbers) as hundreds of missiles flew across the screen.
I loved the levels that were homages to R-Type and Pac Man, too...I'm certain there are more.

In an age where handhelds are getting progressively more powerful and the games getting progressively more complex, Bangai-O Spirits stands alone, and at the same time, on top of the hill.

PS my preferred weapon combination is the Bat/Bounce and then Napalm/Bounce for the EX weapons.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I just got it. Even though I like it, I don't think is as good as the DC game. I miss the 4way shooting, but other than that I find the additions like mixing and such pretty cool, but it steps away from that simple gameplay that's hard to master, to a more customizing gameplay that depends on a lot of strategy, so gun-ho buckos like me have to adjust.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the quirkyness in the cheesy dialogues, is kind of funny.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I am having far too much fun making my own levels.

It brings back memories of Mario Paint and being able to make all kinds of nonsense, except these things fire back.

It's pretty hard coming up with some decent level designs, although I'm really tinkering around with the exploding red dots. I'd like to make a level that revolves around those.

Also, I wrote out my name and then drew a penis jizzing all over it.

And yes, IT WAS AN AWESOME LEVEL.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I just got it. Even though I like it, I don't think is as good as the DC game. I miss the 4way shooting, but other than that I find the additions like mixing and such pretty cool, but it steps away from that simple gameplay that's hard to master, to a more customizing gameplay that depends on a lot of strategy, so gun-ho buckos like me have to adjust.

Personally, I like this one better then the DC version. Just the ability to switch weapons and mix and match adds another level to the game. But hey, that's just me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You see...Robotron is my life, so there you go!

I played BangaiOh with a doble joystick set up and trust me it's a whole different matter when you're playing with the right tools.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
You see...Robotron is my life, so there you go!

I played BangaiOh with a doble joystick set up and trust me it's a whole different matter when you're playing with the right tools.

Yea, I was never much into Robotron. That explains it a bit.:D

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lately that's become the trend of a lot of these"live" titles! Kind of lame 'cause now everyone thinks they can make a decent 8 way shooter...never! Actually Geometry Wars and Stardust are pretty damn good.

Dude, do yourself a favor and play Forgotten Worlds in the Capcom calssics for PS2 or XBOX and choose to use the analog right stick for firing...oh man! You owe me big time!!!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Lately that's become the trend of a lot of these"live" titles! Kind of lame 'cause now everyone thinks they can make a decent 8 way shooter...never! Actually Geometry Wars and Stardust are pretty damn good.

Dude, do yourself a favor and play Forgotten Worlds in the Capcom calssics for PS2 or XBOX and choose to use the analog right stick for firing...oh man! You owe me big time!!!

Oh yea, loved that game to pieces in the arcade. The Capcom collection was a nice touch with the analog stick. Now that's a game I can get into.

I think the reason the loss of eight way control didn't bother me in Bangai-O Spirits was because you had to do it with face buttons (meh). Had it been another analog controller, then maybe we'd be in business.