Bangaio Spirits DS

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Figured this game deserves a thread coming out in less than a month over here. I guess its out in Europe and its getting great reviews.

I've been looking for Bangaio for DC forever and now I might just get this instead.
Probably gonna just pre-order it on amazon.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I picked up a JPN copy and I previously had this on the DC.

However as much as I love Treasure and the look and idea of this game, I can never seem to click with it, which is a real bummer. :(

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I picked up a JPN copy and I previously had this on the DC.

However as much as I love Treasure and the look and idea of this game, I can never seem to click with it, which is a real bummer. :(

Did you click with the DC one or do you just not like the games much in general?

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Neither, thought I would give the DS game a bash and still no joy.

I'm such a spazzfuck. :(

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty stoked. Loved the DC one. Never beat it though.
I have no idea how many levels it has.

Aksys seems to be the new Atlus and seem to put out out pretty good stuff.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I will be getting this when it comes out. I have almost imported it a few times but decided to wait.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I picked up a JP copy yesterday along with my copy of Soulcalibur 4 for the 360. Great little title so far, I think I made it to level 9 in the short time I put into it between fights tonight on during the EliteXC show on CBS.

The design is pretty true to the original, though I'd say that the levels seem shorter and more objective based- it's still Bangai-O, though.

The really weird thing to get used to, though, is the controls. It doesn't use the 360 degree radial controls from the original (it had that, right?). In this one, you use the d-pad to move your guy, and you use one button to shoot (only using one button for both directions, that's the difference, that's what's harder), one button to boost, and either trigger to launch a "bomb" (or maybe I'm just forgetting and that's exactly how the DC version played. I have it downstairs, guess I could stop being lazy and jog my memory).

Anyway, it plays great once I got acclimated, the challenge is REALLY there (level design is very, very clever), and it's really fun. Looks great, too. Hell, I'm happy having spent $50 on it, so I'd easily, VERY EASILY recommend that you all mofos buy the NA version when it comes out, soon and all.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I'm there. I sold my Dreamcast copy years ago, and really missed it since. The custom level creator will be very cool for sharing with friends. Can you do that over Wi-Fi?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Wow, the main mode is short, apparently. Finished it last night while I was downloading and installing Siren: Blood Curse.

Thankfully, the puzzle-type of levels are VERY challenging, though, and it appears that there are a pretty decent number of them.

Main mode is fun as hell, no doubt about it. The levels get better and better as you go, it's just over with too fast. I honestly couldn't believe it when I beat level 20 or whatever and then the end sequence played.

Still, I'm holding out a small sliver of hope that maybe more levels will unlock if I beat a certain number of the puzzle levels or something.

And obviously, the level editors is supposed to be a big draw, and you can clearly download more(user-created is the idea), but I'm not really planning to take it online, so meh on that for right now for me, I guess.

Fantastic game, overall, though.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Wow, the main mode is short, apparently. Finished it last night while I was downloading and installing Siren: Blood Curse.

Thankfully, the puzzle-type of levels are VERY challenging, though, and it appears that there are a pretty decent number of them.

Main mode is fun as hell, no doubt about it. The levels get better and better as you go, it's just over with too fast. I honestly couldn't believe it when I beat level 20 or whatever and then the end sequence played.

Still, I'm holding out a small sliver of hope that maybe more levels will unlock if I beat a certain number of the puzzle levels or something.

And obviously, the level editors is supposed to be a big draw, and you can clearly download more(user-created is the idea), but I'm not really planning to take it online, so meh on that for right now for me, I guess.

Fantastic game, overall, though.

Are you sure you just didn't play through the tutorial? I have read that the tutorial has 17 stages with a little story mixed in to teach you how to play the game. Then the main game is 160 stages (puzzles) plus what ever you or someone else creates.

I am grabbing a couple copies of this when it comes out in August.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I remember playing the DC and it was great, I even made a Doble joystick set up ala Robotron and use a button in the middle of the sticks for Bombs, it was a lot of fun, but I dunno IMO I didn't like playing this game with a pad, but playing it with the 4 buttons as dirtections wasn't so bad. I'm hoping for great things on this "port?" even though the control scheme is not my favorite, the Dual Screen is gonna provide some real wild fun!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Are you sure you just didn't play through the tutorial? I have read that the tutorial has 17 stages with a little story mixed in to teach you how to play the game. Then the main game is 160 stages (puzzles) plus what ever you or someone else creates.

I am grabbing a couple copies of this when it comes out in August.

Maybe that's it, then. That must be it, I guess. That'll teach me not to read Kanji!

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Stunning 2D art....almost looks like the AstroBoy Omega Factor game engine
on steroids. I guess that's actually a possibility.

So this tuesday? I'm in.

943285_20080716_screen002.jpg

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I should have this tomorrow. I also rented a copy that I should have on Thursday, so that I can try out the multiplayer.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Will be picking this up right after work. Here's hoping Gamestop gets it in on time and doesn't put it on slow mo shipping.

dark penguin

I'm probably going to get this on Thursday or Friday.

If IGN gave it an 8.2, the obligatory Gamespot score will either be one point higher or lower.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Its like a 86 on metacritic. I might have to get this even with too much on my gaming plate.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Wow, very impressed with this title. It's surpasses the DC version in just the ability to choose your weapons depending on the level, the choice of levels, the level editor, and the ability to save replays.

Plus they have some form of communication that allows you to send levels and replays over some form of fax bleep on bloop noise over PC or from DS to DS. Interesting feature. Not sure why they didn't use wi-fi, but it's cool nonetheless.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
jesus christ, i didn't know this.. existed until today

picking up asap, bangai-o is one of my favorite games ever, and you know this is going to be an impossible title to find after the first printing is gone

SNKiller

n00b
Picked mine up yesterday & really grooving it... new & nostalgic... badass shit for sure! Between this & FFIV I'm set for a while on the handheld front.

dark penguin

Wow, very impressed with this title. It's surpasses the DC version in just the ability to choose your weapons depending on the level, the choice of levels, the level editor, and the ability to save replays.

Plus they have some form of communication that allows you to send levels and replays over some form of fax bleep on bloop noise over PC or from DS to DS. Interesting feature. Not sure why they didn't use wi-fi, but it's cool nonetheless.

There's something in the wiki for this game that explains the bleep/bloop noises. Something to do with the dev's affinity for retro tape-based storage and transfer media. Yea, like 80s computer cassettes I believe.

Anyway, I think I will try to find this game tonight now that I have a night off work...it will probably be a bitch to find later on.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm probably going to get this on Thursday or Friday.

If IGN gave it an 8.2, the obligatory Gamespot score will either be one point higher or lower.

Gamespot goes by a .5 scale these days, so it's either 8.0 or 8.5. But in any case, Gamespot and IGN suck ass at reviews.