Band In China, a South Park 2019 thread

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Decided to start a new thread.

I haven't had time lately to watch the new episodes so today I re-activated my Hulu account and watched the two new episodes.

Mexican Joker ... it was ok. It had a few ok-ish moments (mainly the new title song), but otherwise I thought it was a weak opening. I'm not going to spoil it but it tried to make good points then sort of just went nowhere. Pretty unsatisfying.

Then, of course, I saw the latest one, "Band in China" and holy shit was it good. Probably the best episode (politically) that I've seen in a while. I heard today that the episode has been condemned by the Chinese government, free publicity.

Lonesage said this:

Lonesage said:
New episode on China about Hollywood pandering and neutering films to align with Chinese censorship. Really awesome episode, these are the only guys with the balls big enough in show biz to do something like that. IMHO it's as brave as calling out Scientology and the Mohammed episodes. Good on Comedy Central for letting this air.

Adam ruins everything took on Disney and China separately, you should check that show out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As with recent seasons of taking a theme and running with it all season instead of the standalone episodes from earlier season, I hope South Park continues to piss off China. This really is a very big deal for someone in Hollywood to finally take a stand and point out how China is influencing American-made media as well as calling out the Xinjiang re-education centers (even Muslim countries have not criticized China because of money, I think only Turkey has said something). Since Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, I wonder if Viacom will tell Trey and Matt to stop saying bad stuff about the Chinese government. That would be huge and I think I can see them quitting Comedy Central over it.

All the fansubbed videos on web sites like www.bilibili.com and www.youku.com (can you guys access those sites in America?) have been scrubbed of South Park. South Park never had merchandise in China to begin with, it was just fans uploading the episodes.

Concurrently, an NBA coach put a pro-Hong Kong message on social media, China noticed and now that team is banned from being aired in China. Now the NBA is apologizing with the hopes of getting back to suck on that sweet teat. Nike also removed all Houston Rockets merchandise from China. "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything." Yeah right, no surprise Nike chose to kowtow for the money.

Lastly, this episode got me thinking...do I have tegridy?

edit: Blizzard just banned a Hong Kong professional Hearthstone player for saying 'liberate Hong Kong' in a stream
https://www.invenglobal.com/article...one-following-his-on-stream-hong-kong-protest

If you wanna do business in China, you must kowtow to the party. Guess Blizzard chose their market.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Its sickening to see money being put in front of western democratic values. Appeasing dictatorships always works out!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I agree the first episode was pretty lame.
But that second episode was awesome! Cant wait to see if they run with it!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Fucking Hulu ads man. So the more popular an episode is, the more fucking ads they drop in it?

I haven’t watched soutpark in years but this China shit peaked my interest.

90sec ad
Intro
90sec ad

Then a shit ton more sprinkled throughout.

Lame.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
If you wanna do business in China, you must kowtow to the party. Guess Blizzard chose their market.

Pretty much. So fuck AB and fuck the NBA too, also Disney.

Activision Blizzard is partially owned by Tencent. 5% or so.. not much but still.

Snipped this out of a news article

"Tencent has been the digital media partner of the NBA since 2009, and has streamed full seasons of live NBA games since the current deal began in 2015. Last season, 490 million fans in China watched NBA programming on Tencent’s platforms, a nearly three-fold increase from the 2014-15 season. An estimated 21 million fans in China watched Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals on Tencent platforms."

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Fucking Hulu ads man. So the more popular an episode is, the more fucking ads they drop in it?

90sec ad
Intro
90sec ad

Lame.

Hulu is trash, be a pirate my friend. Arrgghhhh

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Blizzard is just pathetic at this point.

I don’t have anything of value to add so I’ll just leave the thread with this: fuck
The Chinese government.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

90sec ad
Intro
90sec ad

Lame.

I pay extra for ad free. I get one free month then when the season is over I cancel. It's worth it to me. I also get to watch Bob's burgers.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m glad I dumped Hearthstone last year. Fuck Blizzard and everyone at Activision. Everyone.

Everyone.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Corporations aren't going to stand up to China, too much money at stakes.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
EGbvET_UEAEUPHf.jpg

76ers vs. Guangzhou Loong Lions game in Philadelphia. They were ejected for these signs.

Gritty, your silence is deafening.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Those are the most tame signs.

That’s pretty disappointing on the part of the NBA/all other groups involved.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Corporations aren't going to stand up to China, too much money at stakes.

The NBA is a little bit. Not as much as they could, but after the initial pathetic response from Tillman Fertitta (Daryl Morey's boss as owner of the Rockets) basically throwing his own GM under the bus, at least Adam Silver has come out and said that the NBA won't operate by telling its players, GMs, and coaches what they can and can't say.

Still a little tepid, but he did it in response to all of the backlash from China, so it essentially amounts to telling them fuck off and keep their money.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I’m glad I dumped Hearthstone last year. Fuck Blizzard and everyone at Activision. Everyone.

Everyone.

I wouldn't say fuck all of them Charlie. A lot of employees are fucking raising shit about this as well tho I doubt they'll have jobs much longer for pushing back on this.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
View attachment 55029

76ers vs. Guangzhou Loong Lions game in Philadelphia. They were ejected for these signs.

Gritty, your silence is deafening.

There was local news about it today.

It’s Franklin for the Sixers btw get your mascots straight ;)

Anyway I had a discussion about this with fellow Phatal Philly member Gusmoney as well as some people at work and I think this was a disgrace they were kicked out. After the Kate Smith debacle, the rage room, and this I’m through with that place and both of those teams

Also did anyone catch this a few years ago on Netflix?

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Fuck China and the nightmare world they’re building. America is bad enough on its own.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This is going to sound out of place, but I feel like Trump’s legacy will be waking the western world up to the shittiness of China, in every way. And he will be seen as a hero for it.

I can’t think of a single dem who will reverse his tariffs. Americans by and large support them. They know in the long run it will be good for them.

No one else with power is standing up to China. Not Disney, not Activision, nor the NBA. No one but Agent Orange. Anyone else who stands up to China gets punished. And with China buying out American corporations, the values of America and it’s message (the only message that is viable for the future) are being compromised.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
This is going to sound out of place, but I feel like Trump’s legacy will be waking the western world up to the shittiness of China, in every way. And he will be seen as a hero for it.

I can’t think of a single dem who will reverse his tariffs. Americans by and large support them. They know in the long run it will be good for them.

No one else with power is standing up to China. Not Disney, not Activision, nor the NBA. No one but Agent Orange. Anyone else who stands up to China gets punished. And with China buying out American corporations, the values of America and it’s message (the only message that is viable for the future) are being compromised.

If the president wanted to stand up to china, he wold have backed the TPP.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
LoneSage with the deep cuts.