Atomiswave Shock Box for Battle Coliseum

8man

Administrator
Atomiswave owners, get ready for this!

I bought the Atomiswave (with a SuperGun) so I could continue playing the newer SNK/Neo Geo games. But, since this is an arcade system (similar to the Neo Geo MVS), there is no "box" that is made to hold the Atomiswave games. You can't hold the artwork, stickers, manuals, game, and there is no insert.

What if...

Will Big Bear's (BB) Shock Box fit the Atomiswave games and the artwork?
Are there Custom Inserts available?

Yes! BB's Shock Box will fit the artwork (except the larger marquee and larger manuals). The large instruction decal sheet fits inside the cover, behind the custom insert. The smaller manuals are on the left side (inside), the instruction banner stickers and cart are on the right side (inside). I left the cart wrapped in the original Atomiswave bubble wrap.

Custom Inserts aren't available, because it just hasn't been done,
until now...

Check this out!
I created a Custom Insert for Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.
I bought a bunch of Shock Boxes from BB last year for my Neo MVS carts, and used one as a test. The cover and spine all fit on one sheet of 8.5" x 11" glossy stock paper. (see attached pictures)

BB is selling the newer black Shock Boxes right now!

So, if you're an Atomiswave owner, and want a Shock Box, you better order BB's Shock Boxes today! Because Custom Inserts are on the way.

I will be creating Custom Inserts in the next few weeks for:

Games that I currently own:
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - [SNKP] - 2005 Done
King of Fighters NeoWAVE - Fighter - AW-NET enabled [SNKP] – 2004
Guilty Gear X ver.1.5 - Fighter [ARC Systems] - 2003
Guilty Gear Isuka - Fighter - AW-NET enabled [ARC Systems] - 2004
The Rumble Fish - Fighter [Dimps] - 2004
Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirit - Brawler [IGS] - 2004
Demolish Fist - Fighter [Dimps] - 2003
Dolphin Blue – Shooter - 2003

Games that I'm going to be getting:
Samurai Spirits AW: Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden - Fighter [SNKP] - 2005
King of Fighters XI - Fighter - AW-NET enabled [SNKP] - 2004
Metal Slug 6 - Shooter [SNKP] - 2005
Fist of the North Star - Fighter [ARC Systems] - 2005
The Rumble Fish 2 - Fighter [Dimps] - 2005
Sammy Vs. Capcom - Fighter [Capcom] - 2005

The most important question... What do you think?

As a side note, as everyone knows, the Atomiswave mobo is red...
A perfect match for BB's older "Red" Shock Boxes.

-8man

cover.jpg

Cover Picture

spine.jpg

Spine Picture

inside.jpg

Inside Picture

Last edited:
H

hermegildo

That's really great, man!

The insert looks good too, you did a great job at matching it with MVS inserts as far as quality/style goes. I'm not too sure about the neo-geo logo on the front though, being that this isn't a neo-geo game anymore ( :crying: ), but top notch work regardless.

I might look into this if the Atomiswave isn't really on its last legs and more games are actually on the way.

EDIT: I'm curious about how you handled the back cover. Got any pics?

Last edited:

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I plan on getting an AW soon, and I was thinking about having custom cases made for the carts, much like the Shock Boxes for the MVS carts. Does this interest anyone?

8man

Administrator
Hey loopyeddie,

You don't need custom cases made for Atomiswave carts.
BB's Shock Boxes are perfect!

BB's Shock Boxes are BIG, but they fit the AW artwork.
And the BIG Insert looks incredible when printed!
(a small insert is not going to look the same).

Just imagine, your bookcase with your AES, MVS, and now Atomiswave shock boxes.
All the same size boxes (AES are a little smaller).

Thanks for looking =)

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
8man said:
Hey loopyeddie,

You don't need custom cases made for Atomiswave carts.
BB's Shock Boxes are perfect!

BB's Shock Boxes are BIG, but they fit the AW artwork.
And the BIG Insert looks incredible when printed!
(a small insert is not going to look the same).

Just imagine, your bookcase with your AES, MVS, and now Atomiswave shock boxes.
All the same size boxes (AES are a little smaller).

Thanks for looking =)

Yeah, I suppose. I just thought it would be cool to have one fit the cart perfectly, without any bubble wrap or anything.

Oh, your insert looks really good, but why don't you make it 15.25 in. x 9.203 so it fits the case perfectly?

8man

Administrator
This was my first Insert design, and my first print out for testing.

I will definitely fill the entire Insert area.

Thanks for the suggestion loopyeddie.

I used Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 (Macintosh).

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
Can't say I'll have any need for the inserts, but it looks pretty cool.

One question, though. Why did you leave "Neo Geo" on the front cover instead of the Atomiswave logo?

8man

Administrator
Hey Neon_Sonic,

I left the Neo Geo logo on the front cover,
because it ties into the existing Inserts of SNK/Neo Geo.
(and these games/characters orginated on the Neo Geo)

For the non-SNK (Neo Geo) AW games,
I will replace the Neo Geo logo and use the AW logo.

Neo Geo Logo will be placed on the front cover for:
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
King of Fighters NeoWAVE
Samurai Spirits AW
King of Fighters XI
Metal Slug 6

... and the stripe colors will match the corresponding
Neo Geo game type (Fighting, Shooting, etc.).

The spine will show the AW/Sega and SNK Logo (for SNK games).

Thanks!

Sundance

Sho's Rival
loopyeddie said:
Yeah, I suppose. I just thought it would be cool to have one fit the cart perfectly, without any bubble wrap or anything.

Oh, your insert looks really good, but why don't you make it 15.25 in. x 9.203 so it fits the case perfectly?

What about designing an insert that fits inside the Shockbox....one that fits the cart or rather, around the cart itself (and possibly still allows for the stickers)?

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I picked up a copy of Bill Walsh College Football and John Madden '93 for Genesis, and I must say, they pretty much fit the AW carts perfectly. I found there are two sizes of the thick sports games cases, and the size that is a bit bigger fits much better. I am going to cut some adhesive back foam ande place it in the cartridge spot in the case and it should make the fit perfect. I'll post pics when I'm done. I'm going to make inserts too.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
The Neo-Geo logo looks stupid. Regardless of where these games originated, there should only be an AW logo as these are AW games. It also clutters up the image too much. I mean there are 4 seperate logos on that thing.
I also think that using MVS shock boxes is a stupid idea. Shocks are kinda novel and all for MVS carts, but how far can you go? If anything the Sega sports cases should be used as the carts fit into them much better. This is arcade hardware and it should be treated as such. Next thing you know people will be trying to shoehorn PCBs into shockboxes. :oh_no:

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Can anyone list the Sega Genesis titles whit the 'correct case' for the AW carts? :)

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Okay, Qube talked me into posting these. I might just have to cut my break short. We'll see.

I have made a few inserts for the genesis cases.

As far as the cases go, here's the ones I know work: Bill Walsh College Football, John Madden 93, and Bulls versus Blazers.

I cut a piece of dense, thin foam and spray glued it into the cartridge pocket, and it makes the case absolutely perfect. I plan on posting a "how-to" and these inserts for download on my site soon. Let me know what you think, and if there is any interest.

demolishfist.jpg

kingoffightersneowave.jpg

knightsofvalour.jpg

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Eddie,

You know I already know this, but I have to say it anyways...

You are so the fucking man :cool:

Marq

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
That's actually pretty clever guys. Great work Loopyeddie.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
just a comment on your inserts, loopy (besides the fact that they rock) - I don't think the light grey fronts look good with the darker grey box around the atomiswave logo. I'd lose that box (and change the AW words to black) and maybe lighten up the grey on the fronts a little (make it brighter and stand out more)

and mabye blend the grey front into the blue back on the spine (in true full-frontal style)

the layout is truly awesome, though -- keep up the good work!

Last edited:

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Lime2K said:
just a comment on your inserts, loopy (besides the fact that they rock) - I don't think the light grey fronts look good with the darker grey box around the atomiswave logo. I'd lose that box (and change the AW words to black) and maybe lighten up the grey on the fronts a little (make it brighter and stand out more)

and mabye blend the grey front into the blue back on the spine (in true full-frontal style)

the layout is truly awesome, though -- keep up the good work!

Here is a quick mock up with no box and black letters. I don't like it, lol! I don't mind the black letters, but the missing box bugs me. It looks empty to me.

I originally had a lighter grey, and had it printed, but it seemed washed out. I think the original color looks nicer printed.

I hate to say it, but I'm not a huge fan of the non-solid color spine. I think the full frontals look awesome flat, but when put in the case and on a shelf — not so good. Just my opinion, and I'm pretty sure I have bad taste!

Anyway, here is a quick mock-up of what you suggested. It isn't very clean, but you get the idea. Let me know what you think, and I'll keep updating it to what looks better.

AWnobox.jpg

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
loopyeddie said:
Okay, Qube talked me into posting these. I might just have to cut my break short. We'll see.

I have made a few inserts for the genesis cases.

As far as the cases go, here's the ones I know work: Bill Walsh College Football, John Madden 93, and Bulls versus Blazers.

I cut a piece of dense, thin foam and spray glued it into the cartridge pocket, and it makes the case absolutely perfect. I plan on posting a "how-to" and these inserts for download on my site soon. Let me know what you think, and if there is any interest.

demolishfist.jpg

kingoffightersneowave.jpg

knightsofvalour.jpg

I did notice after posting these, that the cover image box is higher on KOF NeoWave than the other two. I think those two are too low, so I will adjust them, and make the KOF NeoWave one match.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Loopy, maybe adjust the size of the unboxed AW logo to better fit the bottom of the front. Looks cool btw!

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
loopyeddie said:

I think the newer one looks frickin' awesome, but i agree it's lookin' a little empty by the AW logo now

maybe put colored bars near it like the bottom of a neo insert? (color-coded for type of game, of course?)

or just put a box's outline around the logo (again, color-coded)

neogeocollector

Zero's Secretary
loopyeddie You should make a post in the Arcade section on this! I am sure some are missing it here and your work kicks ass!!! Very cool man and keep up the good work!