FAKE
FAKEFAKEFAKEFAKE

FAKEFAKE

FAKEFAKE

LOL
top1112.jpg

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
If they really would make a home based atomiswave, they should make it collectors friendly. Therefore use carts, or atleast have the discs in caddies (think minidisc). If it was CD based not much would make it different to any other console out there.

Anyway home based atomiswave with carts, I would buy it on release day! :buttrock:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Visuatrox said:
Well it is atleast less gay than naked discs :loco:
Are you really that clumsy with your games that you love so dearly? I just think those things were stupid, I remember like the 1st generation of cd-rom drives used those, and I thought they were so pointless. You could always get those disc protector things to put on the disc yourself, if you really can't handle the task of being careful with your discs.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I was under the impression that atomiswave was nothing more than a trimmed down naomi...

Soooooooooo...how would a cd based atomiswave system be any different than a plain old DC?

Matt

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
SnairDogg said:
Are you really that clumsy with your games that you love so dearly? I just think those things were stupid, I remember like the 1st generation of cd-rom drives used those, and I thought they were so pointless. You could always get those disc protector things to put on the disc yourself, if you really can't handle the task of being careful with your discs.

I can take care of my discs, but it would be nice to buy used games knowing that some cheesyface that owned it before had not greased and scratched up the discs. And usually sooner or later someone will want to lend your games too.. As a collector I want to keep things in perfect condition, not just "it works" conditon.

You seem to think I want some 10 year old caddie technology, I'm not saying that they should do them like those old clumsy caddies (where you had to manually put the discs in them). If all the discs were in protective cases, they would look like small cartridges/floppy discs. No scratches and dust and it would not be clumsy or require any extra effort from the gamer, so I fail to see what you think would be so bad about that.. Also it would make pirating harder, but I guess some people see that as a bad thing :p

Those disc protector things (are you referring to the protective films?) often just do more harm than good.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Visuatrox said:
Also it would make pirating harder, but I guess some people see that as a bad thing :p

Those disc protector things (are you referring to the protective films?) often just do more harm than good.
Pirating harder? C'mon man.

I was referring to the see thru film things, I never used em personally...but if you say they don't work, I guess I'll take your word for it.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Force said:
I was under the impression that atomiswave was nothing more than a trimmed down naomi...

Soooooooooo...how would a cd based atomiswave system be any different than a plain old DC?

Matt

It would be different in the sense that, most likely, an AW with a disc drive would not keep reading from the disc at all time like a DC, it would load all the game in RAM memory on start-up (just like the Naomi GDrom). If it acted like a DC, and being on many hours a day like an arcade board, the drive would just die in a few weeks. Plus loading times and the risk of hanging during one while playing.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
It would be different in the sense that, most likely, an AW with a disc drive would not keep reading from the disc at all time like a DC, it would load all the game in RAM memory on start-up (just like the Naomi GDrom). If it acted like a DC, and being on many hours a day like an arcade board, the drive would just die in a few weeks. Plus loading times and the risk of hanging during one while playing.

Yes, but the system in question is supposedly a home system. Besides, I've put in some long ass hours on cd based systems, and they last a lot longer than a few weeks.

Matt

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
This is not the first time I heard about this. I also heard about it on xboxforums from a different source. Maybe there will be some truth to it after all .. I mean it is not unimaginable

GigaDrive

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've longed for CD-in-a-caddy type of media, if we cannot have some form of optical disc that is far faster than CD or DVD. I mean, why has it not happened?
I think it should. we pay $50 a game and these things are easy to ruin. I love cartridges like NEO GEO or Sega ST-V.

I also long for another good console (not PC based like Phantom or DISCover)...

I sincerely hope that Sammy brings out a console based on Sega's new PowerVR5 based arcade board. although I don't have much hope this will happen.

a powerful new nextgen Sega-Sammy-SNK system would be a dream come true.

Atomiswave is barely current-gen technology, that lags behind the Xbox and Gamecube, which themselves are going to be replaced in the next 1.5 years, by Xenon and Revolution respectively.

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
GigaDrive said:
I've longed for CD-in-a-caddy type of media, if we cannot have some form of optical disc that is far faster than CD or DVD. I mean, why has it not happened?

Me too :(... Well I guess if there is no demand for it, then it will not happen. People just seem unaware or don't care about the benefits of having optical discs inside cartridges. Not only would they be more durable, protect against direct sunlight, scratchproof, but also have more room nice label art ;).

While in the early days of CDROMS caddies were clumsy, it should have later become standard to have optical discs inside cartridges (now it is too late to do anything about that). Minidiscs evolved in the right direction, with all discs built inside a cartridge/caddie. I think it is crazy that DVD did not follow that direction, the first blue ray disc prototypes are inside cartridges/caddies. But they will probably end up being "naked discs" for the consumer market just like DVD's and CD's to maintain backward compatibility. I guess having the discs inside a cartridge would make it cost like $1 more per discs, well worth it in my opinion for all games.

One interesting thing though is that Sonys PSP is going to use a proprietary Sony disc called the UMD, the UMD is a disc format enclosed in a small cartridge (similar to the Sony Mini-Disc format.) Hopefully some kind of similar disc in a cartridge format is developed even for next generation of fullsize consoles. Although I guess again backward compatibility could prevent that.

But eventually I predict they will be forced to put optical discs into cartridges, if the media is going to spin any faster or have denser data (as they would have to make them spin stably, and even small scratches could ruin a lot of the data).

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
GigaDrive said:

FYI: The industry INTENTIONALLY uses soft shitty plastic on compact discs so that you, the consumer, damages them faster and needs to replace them. So yeah, thier bassicaly trying to steall more of your money.
CD's could be over 5 times more durable with todays technologies but it's honestly not happening anytime soon.