ATOMISWAVE Home System In Development

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
I'm actually so tired right now I don't have a grasp on reality, so if I made no sense you now know why. I'm just saying - an add on? when they've released barely 10 games for the system - a system which can do Guilty Gear style graphics and gameplay but which ends up doing neowave instead. Its like saying the neo geo needed an add on. if they can do the programming, we can forget about the limitations.

I understand what you mean, but 128Mbytes seems like a limitation for potential developers, and optical media is always cheaper. This is why the NAOMI switched to optical media in the first place.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
I understand what you mean, but 128Mbytes seems like a limitation for potential developers, and optical media is always cheaper. This is why the NAOMI switched to optical media in the first place.
sure, but the AW is to Naomi what Gamecube is to the PS2. atleast for now anyway. Sega put some thrust behind that system.

by the way (silly unrelated question time), would it be very difficult to have the naomi 2 consolized?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
sure, but the AW is to Naomi what Gamecube is to the PS2. atleast for now anyway. Sega put some thrust behind that system.

Media size wise, yes. I still believe it is strange for Atomiswave not to be compatible with the standard NAOMI GD drive.

by the way (silly unrelated question time), would it be very difficult to have the naomi 2 consolized?

I wouldn't know really, you should ask supergoose79 or other members that are good at consolizing.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I have faith that the next-gen Nintendo will be an apology for the GC. A console to help Nintendo regain it's former crown.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:

Not at all, buy an X-Box and wait for the ports.

I still can't believe that out of all the beefing up Sega did with the Naomi 2 they elected to keep the DC's 200Mhz. CPU at it's core.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I still can't believe that out of all the beefing up Sega did with the Naomi 2 they elected to keep the DC's 200Mhz. CPU at it's core.

Well, NAOMI was designed to be scalable, so the differences on how NAOMI and NAOMI2 work are pretty small. NAOMI2 has 2 PoverVR2 GPUs instead of one like the original NAOMI, this is because each GPU has the task of rendering half of the screen, making the polygon count really higher. It obviously has much more RAM, in all areas, for bigger programs, more data, bigger textures, and large sound samples, because NAOMI2 doesn't stream redbook audio from the GDs.

Oh, and don't confuse NAOMI2 with Chihiro.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Well, NAOMI was designed to be scalable, so the differences on how NAOMI and NAOMI2 work are pretty small. NAOMI2 has 2 PoverVR2 GPUs instead of one like the original NAOMI, this is because each GPU has the task of rendering half of the screen, making the polygon count really higher. It obviously has much more RAM, in all areas, for bigger programs, more data, bigger textures, and large sound samples, because NAOMI2 doesn't stream redbook audio from the GDs.

Oh, and don't confuse NAOMI2 with Chihiro.

Very true, I wonder if any of the next gen home consoles are gonna sport dual GPUs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
I'm actually so tired right now I don't have a grasp on reality, so if I made no sense you now know why. I'm just saying - an add on? when they've released barely 10 games for the system - a system which can do Guilty Gear style graphics and gameplay but which ends up doing neowave instead. Its like saying the neo geo needed an add on. if they can do the programming, we can forget about the limitations.
Don't forget the AW installments of Guilty Gear were the 2 poorer looking of the series.

Abasuto said:
I have faith that the next-gen Nintendo will be an apology for the GC. A console to help Nintendo regain it's former crown.
When are they going to apologize for N64?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
When are they going to apologize for N64?

Blasphemy.
Ocarina of Time ( arguably the best RPG/action game of all time)
Goldeneye, Perfect Dark,Mario 64 , Conkers, Paper Mario.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Gamecube has some awesome games as well, with more to come, so bashing it and praising the N64 is rather silly.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Fygee said:
Gamecube has some awesome games as well, with more to come, so bashing it and praising the N64 is rather silly.

I wasn't bashing the GC by no means. In fact, overall I like it more than both the PS2 and X-Box. I was just stating that the GC does have some flaws to it. The mini size disc it uses gives it a limited storage space and the controller IMO is one of the worse of any system ever.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
This picture was shown many time ago, and it is clear it is not a home version of the AW. I agree it could be a disc drive for it.

DevilRedeemed said:

I have a Naomi 1, and I managed to power on it with just with a PC ATX psu. Video can be taken from the VGA port to a computer monitor, and audio from the RCA jacks to a stereo equipment. The only thing left to consolize it are the controls, and those are USB based. I needed an I/O board for it, and basically this defeats the purpose of consolization. I guess it would be possible to hack a Naomi control panel.

Check the pics and info on this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98009

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
This picture was shown many time ago, and it is clear it is not a home version of the AW. I agree it could be a disc drive for it.

I was about to say the same.

Plus, it was shown here on these boards.

This is not entirely out of question for them to make a home system, but it's more like unlikely.

They can milk out good profits with ports so they won't bother with the hardware scene.

A more powerfull AW home system would be cool, but in the next gen of consoles. You could have a quite a bit bigger than just a simple niche userbase. Technically the AW would fail right away. It's just a toned down Dreamcast damn !

JC10001

Zero's Secretary
A home Atomiswave system, as much as I would want one, isn't going to happen.... ever! Sammy is going to be porting its Atomiswave games to the PS2 from now on. They started with the Guilty Gear X games and now they are moving on to the other games. A PS2 port of Rumble Fish was just announced the other day and I wouldn't be surprised to see ports of Dolphin Blue and KOF Neowave announced within the next few months.

Sega's announcement at E3 was always "The Matrix Online". The assumption that they had some kind of other annoucement that they backed out of is wrong. It was Matrix Online from the get go and nothing else. I told you guys right after Sega announced the E3 announcement that it was going to be Matrix Online yet some of you still held out hope of a new system. Now, even after The Matrix Online was confirmed you guys are still holding out hope. Give it up already. It's time to move on.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
WAKE UP PEOPLE!

It IS fake. GIZMODO already confirmed:

gizmodo said:
Update: Unless Sega/Sammy are using a modified Hush Technologies PC case for the internals, this pic appears to be a fake. God bless the internet and its ability to bring out the best in people's ability to waste other people's time. (Thanks to everyone who pointed out the resemblance.)
Read [HushTechnologies]

It's so fake that it have the old Sega logo on it.

Read the complete article, dammit.

Dreamcast - CD = Atomiswave

Atomiswave + CD = Dreamcast

Arithmetic doesn't lie...

If you ask me, it sounds cool but in a business-like way... its a really stupid idea.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Electroman said:
Dreamcast - CD = Atomiswave

Atomiswave + CD = Dreamcast

Atomiswave is closer to DC than Naomi, but it's still more powerful than DC.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
Atomiswave is closer to DC than Naomi, but it's still more powerful than DC.

Only Ram wise. The DC still puts out more polys.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Atrophyed said:

In paper, maybe yes.

In real-world applications? I seriously doubt that.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Atrophyed said:

Considering that they use/have the same CPU/speed/flops/blah/blah/blah and the AW have twice the memory in ain aspects where momory is needed, the difference of 2.5 to 3.6 million polys are just in estimative on the DC release date.

Yes, they are the same, AW only have more ram. But DC must not display more polys than AW. they must be the same, in the best (worse?) scenario.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I thought people in this site didn't give a shit about polygons... ;) And certainly SNK is not going to use any polygon in their games on it.

That being said, the AW home console is the DC, the differences are hardly noticeable hardware-wise (other than CD/cart), but unfortunately we won't see those games on DC... :oh_no: