Are we doing Secret Santa this year?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Are you talking about John Blount from Pensacola, Florida?

maybe.

46382036.cached.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've been out for a few because of the last time I opted in. I got a gift that had no real thought put into it and I got pissed.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I like the idea and thought about participating this year, then again it is hard to gift someone something really nice based on forum posts (research is of course an option, but that won't be the same as someone really knowing you in RL for some time).
Seeing Xians post it even gets a bit harder, as based on posts there MIGHT be some thought put into a present but just the wrong one (I don't know details on what you were refering to)
What range is "the budget" usually in? (are we talking $50, $100 or $1000?)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
~lol budget

I will of course be in again this year, playa.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I've been out for a few because of the last time I opted in. I got a gift that had no real thought put into it and I got pissed.

As just a casual observer (I don't really have the desire to opt in to something like this), I'm curious as to what would constitute "thought"? If everyone gets paired with someone at random, if you dont really interact with that person outside of the forum how are you to know what they would like?

I'm asking as a genuine question, of course. What did you get that soured you to the idea?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
As just a casual observer (I don't really have the desire to opt in to something like this), I'm curious as to what would constitute "thought"? If everyone gets paired with someone at random, if you dont really interact with that person outside of the forum how are you to know what they would like?

I'm asking as a genuine question, of course. What did you get that soured you to the idea?

constituting 'thought': not just spending the budget on something that costs that much. Looking up some previous posts to get a feel for what that person is into is a nice thing.

for example: I saw someone looking to get into modding receive a nice soldering iron kit.

a bad example is going to your game shelf. finding a small stack of the worst nes games you can find because 'its gaming' and sending that. Yay! 10 yard fight?

good examples that i received: neoash had me 3 years ago- we were chit chatting on the proaudio thread months before, and he sent me some great audio refrence blu rays and some fun literature on pro home audio. Mikhail had me and remembered us chatting about a couple of comics and he got me the trade paperbacks for them. Hell- yodd who didnt even have me last year- went above and beyond and mailed me a label printer for my business (along with dick pix).

When I shop for someone, i think 'what will this person dig?'.

just basic thought is all that is asked. its about coming together and sending dick pix. it's about getting to know the guy you dont know on here.. a thoughtless christmas gift (while better than someone who doesnt ship one, which has happened) is dumb since the receiver probably thought real hard about what to get the other person he has to send to. I think i saw someone once send a bunch of old shitty gaming mags that no one wanted and called it $35. Dont overthink it, just do what you think is right. give a gift you wouldn't mind receiving.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
constituting 'thought': not just spending the budget on something that costs that much. Looking up some previous posts to get a feel for what that person is into is a nice thing.

for example: I saw someone looking to get into modding receive a nice soldering iron kit.

a bad example is going to your game shelf. finding a small stack of the worst nes games you can find because 'its gaming' and sending that. Yay! 10 yard fight?

good examples that i received: neoash had me 3 years ago- we were chit chatting on the proaudio thread months before, and he sent me some great audio refrence blu rays and some fun literature on pro home audio. Mikhail had me and remembered us chatting about a couple of comics and he got me the trade paperbacks for them. Hell- yodd who didnt even have me last year- went above and beyond and mailed me a label printer for my business (along with dick pix).

When I shop for someone, i think 'what will this person dig?'.

just basic thought is all that is asked. its about coming together and sending dick pix. it's about getting to know the guy you dont know on here.. a thoughtless christmas gift (while better than someone who doesnt ship one, which has happened) is dumb since the receiver probably thought real hard about what to get the other person he has to send to. I think i saw someone once send a bunch of old shitty gaming mags that no one wanted and called it $35. Dont overthink it, just do what you think is right. give a gift you wouldn't mind receiving.

I got wasabi one year. I had no fucking clue what to get. I thought long and hard about his posts --most of which consist of "video games are for children" and making fun of stupid people. How do you buy with that thought in mind? I remember racking my brain and coming up short until the deadline approached. I ended up getting him something he couldn't care less about (he was happier about the use he'd get from the box it came in), but it wasn't like I was like, "uh, here's $20 worth of stuff, thanks."

So maybe the dude just didn't know what to get Xian. I mean, if I got him, I'd probably send a Ukulele and a grass skirt or something. Some people are just terrible at buying gifts.

And you know the worst part about that whole wasabi thing, is that he didn't even get me for secret santa, but he still sent me this beautiful painting of Bret Hart. I was like, you motherfucker, how dare you send me something incredible like this.

If anything, I learned to not participate in this shit anymore. That's the real gift I can give to you all.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It is very hard to buy gifts for people who aren't forum regulars, which is why I wish they weren't allowed to participate. But I could probably come up with something decent (that at least had some thought put into it) for anyone who is a regular poster here. There is a difference between taking a home run swing and missing, and just standing in the batter's box with the bat resting on your shoulder.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
It is very hard to buy gifts for people who aren't forum regulars, which is why I wish they weren't allowed to participate.

that should be worked on.

There is a difference between taking a home run swing and missing, and just standing in the batter's box with the bat resting on your shoulder.

this so much.

if you strike out, its not for lack of try. its the obvious thoughtless gifts that are the tough pills to swallow.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The secret santa should've been started in early October...

...It provides a significant time frame for you to prepare and send stuffs...

xROTx

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
The secret santa should've been started in early October...

...It provides a significant time frame for you to prepare and send stuffs...

xROTx

Yeah, I agree. Stating it around Thanksgiving makes things tight for those who are shipping internationally. The Chinese postal service needs time to root through the packages and take the good shit.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah, I agree. Stating it around Thanksgiving makes things tight for those who are shipping internationally. The Chinese postal service needs time to root through the packages and take the good shit.

fuck it then. lets kick it off in the morning. i'll make an email and get it ready.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
A simple solution would be for those participating to give some "broad stroke" ideas of what interests them. That way people aren't always in the dark about "what is a good gift for this person". And I mean like a vague example, just a ballpark example for the person to start looking.

Just a noob's opinion.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
A simple solution would be for those participating to give some "broad stroke" ideas of what interests them. That way people aren't always in the dark about "what is a good gift for this person". And I mean like a vague example, just a ballpark example for the person to start looking.

Just a noob's opinion.

We already do that. But it is no fun for the gift-giver to buy some unknown person some shit based solely on a list provided by that person. If I wanted to do that, I could go participate in the shit-show that is Reddit secret santa. The fun of Neo-Geo SS is buying shit for people who you ostensibly know (or at least are familiar with their forum persona).

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

Just a noob's opinion.

what jibbs said.

also- doing the research- its part of the whole point of our secret santa. you get someone you dont know? now is your chance to learn a little more about that person. There is a couple of folks here that i might not have the relationships i do today with if not for the SS. It puts some thought into it rather than just hitting someones 'get' list.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Look no further than the black cock thread for ideas fellas.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Look no further than the black cock thread for ideas fellas.

!!!

Also: here is some previous years for those that are new to this here and are not quite getting how it works:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...014-pics-start-post-85&highlight=secret+santa
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...als-begin-at-post-140)&highlight=secret+santa
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...st-post-for-entry-info&highlight=secret+santa
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...t-Santa-2011-Now-with-gift-reveals&highlight=

looking back on it, this is right around the time that we usually kick it off anyways. will get it done right in the morning.

Last edited: