Are the reactions to Trump winning rational?

Marek

Banned
I keep seeing this…and I still cannot fathom how people do not understand how the US election system was designed.

Does this like a one sided victory to you? Because it does to me.
348px-ElectoralCollege2016.svg.png

We're not the "United Large Cities of America" or the "United People of America", we're the United States of America. Which means all STATES have a say. Just because one city in one state has more people in it than Montana doesn't mean Montana doesn't have a proportional say in things.

God, why can't people grasp this?

Have you ever been to montana? Have you ever been to wyoming?

You're using my home to make a point but I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Have you ever been to montana? Have you ever been to wyoming?

You're using my home to make a point but I'm not sure you really know what you're talking about.

No and No.

My point is this. Chicago has 2.7 million residents, all in a tiny space. Montana has 1.04 million, Wyoming has .584 million.

Saying that a giant, concentrated collective has more say than other more spread out (and diverse) populations is shitty. I chose those two states mostly at random, but there is a point I'm trying to make.

My whole point is this...the hard left wants to cry "We must have DIVERSITY!!!!" every chance they get. Once the election went the way it went, they all of the sudden want to swap that stance to "majority rules'.

If majority rules, then it could easily be argued that the voice/needs of the current 196.8 million white citizens far outweigh the combined needs of the black (37.6m), native American (2.2m), Asian (14.4m), mixed race (5.5m), or Hispanic (50.4m). I mean 196.8m having absolute say over the combined voice of 110.1m seems pretty logical to me...right? Well, with those that are currently bitching...it would be wrong. They want equal say diversity when it suits their purpose, and all or nothing majority rules when it suits them. Pretty typical stupidity.

Our forefathers wanted diversity represented in the elections, thus every state has a proportional say, that's all I was trying to get across.

My only beef with the current electoral system is that states are all or nothing. If the overall isn't that way, the states shouldn't be either.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Saying that a giant, concentrated collective has more say than other more spread out (and diverse) populations is shitty.

It's those concentrated areas that make this country function. Reality much?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No and No.

My point is this. Chicago has 2.7 million residents, all in a tiny space. Montana has 1.04 million, Wyoming has .584 million.

Saying that a giant, concentrated collective has more say than other more spread out (and diverse) populations is shitty. I chose those two states mostly at random, but there is a point I'm trying to make.

My whole point is this...the hard left wants to cry "We must have DIVERSITY!!!!" every chance they get. Once the election went the way it went, they all of the sudden want to swap that stance to "majority rules'.

If majority rules, then it could easily be argued that the voice/needs of the current 196.8 million white citizens far outweigh the combined needs of the black (37.6m), native American (2.2m), Asian (14.4m), mixed race (5.5m), or Hispanic (50.4m). I mean 196.8m having absolute say over the combined voice of 110.1m seems pretty logical to me...right? Well, with those that are currently bitching...it would be wrong. They want equal say diversity when it suits their purpose, and all or nothing majority rules when it suits them. Pretty typical stupidity.

Our forefathers wanted diversity represented in the elections, thus every state has a proportional say, that's all I was trying to get across.

My only beef with the current electoral system is that states are all or nothing. If the overall isn't that way, the states shouldn't be either.

Pretty sure our forefathers didn't contemplate tiered voting rights in favor of Montana and Wyoming.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No and No.

In case you didn't know the Democratic voting block was diverse. Whites made up a solid percentage of Clinton votes.
Clinton's 3rd best state also happens to be the Whitest, most rural state in America. Go figure.

But anyways nobody is saying that a voter in Chicago should have more say than a voter in east bumfuck. They are saying that they should have THE SAME say.

The "founding fathers" also didn't think that direct election of Senators was a good idea. But we has since changed that.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
In case you didn't know the Democratic voting block was diverse. Whites made up a solid percentage of Clinton votes.
Clinton's 3rd best state also happens to be the Whitest, most rural state in America. Go figure.

But anyways nobody is saying that a voter in Chicago should have more say than a voter in east bumfuck. They are saying that they should have THE SAME say.

The "founding fathers" also didn't think that direct election of Senators was a good idea. But we has since changed that.

With 190 million people in the "white" camp...it's kind of a "no-shit" thing that a good portion of any candidate's votes will be from white voters.

And there is a balance in place. Illinois has 20 electoral votes, Wyoming has 3 (singling out two fairly random states, one with high population, one with small). It would take the combined effort of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Nebraska just to beat What Illinois has. I'd say this is a pretty level playing field, if not slightly tilted in the favor of mass cities. It's much easier to get one city to vote to one side, than the mass of all of those states. The proof is in the pudding, California, Illinois, New York, Texas...all are pretty locked in.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

our forefathers didn't care about diversity being represented. they put the electoral college in there as a failsafe since they didn't trust the common man to make a good decision.

depending on your politics, that may have clearly backfired in this case.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
our forefathers didn't care about diversity being represented. they put the electoral college in there as a failsafe since they didn't trust the common man to make a good decision.

depending on your politics, that may have clearly backfired in this case.

Depends on if you side with Thomas Jefferson (raping slaves, pro genocide, but expressed "beliefs" that every American could self govern) or Hamilton and Madison, who believed that people needed governance because they're humans.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Depends on if you side with Thomas Jefferson (raping slaves, pro genocide, but expressed "beliefs" that every American could self govern) or Hamilton and Madison, who believed that people needed governance because they're humans.

So let's get us some humans to govern them! That'll solve human fallibility for sure.

Hamilton was an imperialist dickbag, by the way. Loved him some military aggression, budget deficits, central banking, high tariffs, etc.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
"Hello Darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again..."

Still the best one I've seen. ;)

I honestly didn't think the Trumpster could win, he was so badly damaged, Hitler card played left and right, every little Tweet hyper-analyzed, and the final 1-2 KO punch with NBC News holding onto that pussy-grab tape for months and strategically releasing it in time for the 2nd debate so that millions watching would learn of it...

He survived it all, much to the surprise of many which shows more so how bad a candidate Hellary Rotten Nixon was in losing those "blue wall" states and being unable to take him out in Florida...

Before I went to sleep that night, I saw that he had won Florida and Ohio, and realized he won't go down in flames, but I didn't expect a Pennsylvania win... I didn't see what else could give him a path to electoral victory after that, but I was at least comfortable that he wasn't taking the republicans down in an embarrassing landslide loss as our precious darlings on the democrat side were hoping... That they've come unhinged in the aftermath given all the fake predictions is understandable...

Trump actually tried to work for it in key states, while Hillary thought she could just cruise right into the WhiteHouse, let him trip up with his gaffes, and bring B.J. "Bubba" Clinton along for the ride... Nope. Sorry. #NotHerTurn

Indeed, Hillary wanted to break the glass ceiling, but the only crack she found was Trump's ass pressed against it... :P I hope this is finally the end of the Clintons, but I doubt it.

if you want to know why there is so much protesting..

rQwt3TK.png

it all makes sense now.

Heh.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
The American left is especially in favor of getting rid of the electoral college and relying on the 'popular vote' because a key left strategy is pandering to 'the poor' and 'immigrants'- people with a higher birth rate and who in future almost guarantee their political supremacy. It is an especially underhanded tactic that relies on 'the poor' staying poor and large populations of second-class immigrants staying second-class.

Tell me if I'm wrong here, thinkers of NG.com...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The American left is especially in favor of getting rid of the electoral college and relying on the 'popular vote' because a key left strategy is pandering to 'the poor' and 'immigrants'- people with a higher birth rate and who in future almost guarantee their political supremacy. It is an especially underhanded tactic that relies on 'the poor' staying poor and large populations of second-class immigrants staying second-class.

It goes back to Jefferson, who wanted every vote to count

And Hamilton, who planned the electoral college for the express purpose of protecting the poor and underprivileged from themselves.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Exactly. The DNC targets minorities, large cities, and the young. They also try to target women, but are far less successful. The minority population alone is close to 112 million. There close to 30 million 18-24 year old citizens of the US.

So, targeting 112 million minorities + 30 million young voters plus the best you can get from the female portion of the 190 million whites in the country. (As a FYI, The populations of New York, LA, and Chicago total 42.9 million people...all three cities the DNC always takes)

The idiotic GOP targets mostly white people, especially white males. So less than half of the 190 million white citizens.

Its a "well, no shit" that the DNC would want to get rid of the Electoral College. They are far better at gathering mass votes.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
It goes back to Jefferson, who wanted every vote to count

And Hamilton, who planned the electoral college for the express purpose of protecting the poor and underprivileged from themselves.

I think everyone's vote should count, as did they, it's just that to give each state something approximating their own 'say' we need an electoral college to make that a reality. If you remove the electoral college you weaken the voice of those in undesirable geographical areas, second hand, if you will.

And remember, populous states already get the lion's share of electoral votes.

The only reason anyone makes a big deal about the popular vote vs. the electoral college today is because of how polarized times have become. Twice in recent years we've had a republican win a narrow contested victory against a democrat where the popular tally won out by a small margin. If this trend keeps on a few more times in the next decades, then I would give serious consideration to take the drastic step of messing with our electoral system.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
White people have been voting Republican since the 1980's. And we see how that has worked out for them.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
It's those concentrated areas that make this country function. Reality much?

I wasn't aware that Los Angeles and New York were well known for their production of staple foodstuffs and hydrocarbon based fuels.

I must have missed all those grain farms in South Central LA last year, or the coal mines of Albany.

While California Texas are highly populated, and both have these things, they don't produce as much farmland as the "flyover" states like Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota etc combined.

They still matter, and they deserve a voice.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Funny how all that "Russia hacked the election" stuff quietly disappeared once the electoral college voted him in. Is this that "fake news" I've been hearing so much about?

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Funny how all that "Russia hacked the election" stuff quietly disappeared once the electoral college voted him in. Is this that "fake news" I've been hearing so much about?

I guess people realized how stupid it is to argue that Russia rigged the election by showing the Democrats rigged the election.