Anyone up for Tetris/Mario Kart/AC:WW?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I'll play whatever you guys want to play. Feel pretty burned out after 2 weeks of extra workloads, gonna open my Town Gates on Friday 11 August at 6 p.m. EST (GMT-5 hours), probably open for one hour, if someone stops in earlier, and express interest in playing Mario Kart and Tetris, then my town gates will close early.

My Friend Code is in my sig guys. Haven't changed, since I merely transferred them from my phat DS to DS-Lite.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
I'd be up for some Tetris next time you want to play :)

I'm on GMT time but I've played people in the US before, next time I see you in chat or online I'll PM you to see if your intrested!

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Kanazawa has so many flowers, my town has a ways to go :emb:

jumping on Mario Kart now!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
I’d play you in Mario kart but I acquired such a ridiculous win ratio so I traded the game off as I got bored with it.

I never liked animal crossing. Played for a few hours at most.

And ray kicked my ass all over the place in Tetris. So I sold that too. Was never my game though. Even in the GameBoy one I think I only got about 150 lines tops.

bokmeow

Has there ever been a worse Mario Karter? :emb:

I got trounced royally by BBH, and then couldn't even pull off enough points to beat BBH in 4 courses even by using Dry Bones and Yoshi.

I suck :D

I'm getting better at Tetris though, talking strategy is pretty different from playing competitively. Been able to beat players with higher rankings today. Where are all the people playing 4 player Tetris? :( takes forever to get a match together in this mode, like, 3-4 minutes compared to the 20-25 seconds for 2 player Tetris.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
kernow said:

yeah, I'm totally gay for this now, but maybe that's because I found a few other people who were willing to humor me and let me come to their towns too :emb:

bokmeow said:
Has there ever been a worse Mario Karter? :emb:

I got trounced royally by BBH, and then couldn't even pull off enough points to beat BBH in 4 courses even by using Dry Bones and Yoshi.

I suck :D

were you powersliding at all? I couldn't tell if you were or not, but... as far as I'm concerned, powerslides should always be fair game on turns since that's what they were intended for, it's the snaking that really annoys me. I had some pretty good luck blocking the red turtle shells with other items though.

and sorry for picking Sky Garden on you and then using the shortcut :emb:

fuck, I forgot to leave my designs in your town too, haha

edit: oh, and you're nowhere near the worst either. There was one guy in a game I played who had a record of something like 7-86. He dropped after the first race.

bokmeow

BBH said:
were you powersliding at all? I couldn't tell if you were or not, but... as far as I'm concerned, powerslides should always be fair game on turns since that's what they were intended for, it's the snaking that really annoys me. I had some pretty good luck blocking the red turtle shells with other items though.

and sorry for picking Sky Garden on you and then using the shortcut :emb:

'Cos Mario Kart DS is my first Mario Kart title, I'm mostly experimenting. By watching replay videos, and fooling around with Time Trial, I picked up on some indication that perhaps hopping corners could be a proxy for drifting corners. I don't snake; I don't even know how to drift right with Princess Peach, heh. I got nailed so many times by your green turtle shell it's not even funny, I was like wtf, BBH has eyes in the back of his head or he must be an amazing sharpshooter... or both.

I don't know how people take the shortcuts on Sky Garden and Cheep Cheep Beach :( How are people managing them without having mushroom boosters?

AlphaONE

King's Dry Cleaner
I use my sisters for now
I will buy my own at the start of september.:)

mine is
FC: 5111-7634-9500
name: jessica
TOWN-icecream

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
'Cos Mario Kart DS is my first Mario Kart title, I'm mostly experimenting. By watching replay videos, and fooling around with Time Trial, I picked up on some indication that perhaps hopping corners could be a proxy for drifting corners. I don't snake; I don't even know how to drift right with Princess Peach, heh. I got nailed so many times by your green turtle shell it's not even funny, I was like wtf, BBH has eyes in the back of his head or he must be an amazing sharpshooter... or both.

Powersliding so you get the turbo boost takes a little practice, but it's not that difficult. Just hold down the R button after you jump and keep pressing Left and Right until you get the orange sparks, and then let go for a turbo boost. I think even the manual explains how to do it?

But yeah, I think I was getting amazingly lucky with those green shells/banana peels, haha.

Peach handles pretty weirdly, I was doing some fucked-up drifts in that last game we played and ended up crashing into a couple walls. Heh. Try Yoshi or Toad to get the hang of powersliding first, I think.

I don't know how people take the shortcuts on Sky Garden and Cheep Cheep Beach :( How are people managing them without having mushroom boosters?

I don't think there's a real shortcut in Cheep Cheep Beach, just using the powerslide to go through the water faster (or a mushroom of course). For Sky Garden, besides the parts near the beginning with the ramps, there's a major shortcut near the end. On one of the turns you can see there are some clouds that are pretty close to the track, you can actually jump on the cloud and use it as a shortcut, no mushroom needed.. Mess around with it in Time Trial and you should be able to find it. The only downside of that shortcut is that you miss out on the item boxes.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
BBH said:
Powersliding so you get the turbo boost takes a little practice, but it's not that difficult. Just hold down the R button after you jump and keep pressing Left and Right until you get the orange sparks, and then let go for a turbo boost. I think even the manual explains how to do it?

I should get the game back and we should play. You're one of the few I hadn’t played on the site.

Also, I usually power slide with two jumps. I start the power slide and jump again when it takes off even furthering my frame rate around the corner Then usually jump again to start the next powerslide as long as the corner is long enought, I sometimes pull 2-3 powerslides around the corners with medial jumps inbetween. Makes for more efficient power slides in my opinion. And a faster power slide overall. Control gets a little hairy though as the second jump tends to turn you even more. But with a little practice it easy to control.

Last edited:

wizkid007

20 Year Member
BBH said:
I don't think there's a real shortcut in Cheep Cheep Beach, just using the powerslide to go through the water faster (or a mushroom of course). For Sky Garden, besides the parts near the beginning with the ramps, there's a major shortcut near the end. On one of the turns you can see there are some clouds that are pretty close to the track, you can actually jump on the cloud and use it as a shortcut, no mushroom needed.. Mess around with it in Time Trial and you should be able to find it. The only downside of that shortcut is that you miss out on the item boxes.

There is also that long ramp in sky garden. If you keep to the left and powerslide to the right right before the ramp its enough to get you over the long part to avoid the corner. It takes practice though. I started doing that course in time trial and shaved 12 seconds initially off my record. Then I practiced it even more and shaved a total 15 off. Became one of my favorite courses and I completely dominated it whenever I played it.

Also the small ramps at the beginning. Alot of people take the right one over the normal path. I like the normal path as I usually powerslide just before the normal path at a nice angle so I jump over the little gap normally and once I hit the ground I take off from the powerslide which leaves me in direct relation for another powerslide around the next bend. Its all planning really.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
ng.com peeps should really play more WFC games :emb:

bokmeow

TrueTrials said:
Quoted for the truth!

I'd love some 4-player Tetris matches like Bok said..

We should work out a time when we'll all be on. Honestly I don't have more than 1 day a week to play the Nintendo Wi-Fi games because I have to go to a McDonald's to play it, and besides I really wouldn't want to be playing online game every day anyways, it would just suck away all my free time for reading and working.

Weekends are wide open starting from Friday night, I prefer having these games on Friday and Saturday.

bokmeow

OK, TrueTrials and I are getting on today, Saturday 12 August, at GMT 9:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. EST) So if anyone wants to join us first for games of Tetris, then maybe matches of Mario Kart, join in.

bokmeow

Good games TrueTrials :emb: I dealt out so much self-ownage. At first I was like "this handicap ain't so bad OH MY GOD TOO FOOKING FAST" but I think it was good practice in all. I don't think I have it quite figured out how the mechanic works when it comes to competitive play, like, when you send over blocks, what determines where the gap is, etc. I've come to reach the conclusion that it's random... maybe. The Japanese though man, they don't crack under the pressure ever, surely and steadily clears out the blocks that are blocking the gaps, then clears 'em out. That's where I gotta practice, I need to learn how to be even more efficient in clearing out gaps while at the same time still do triples and tetrises. :)

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
bokmeow said:
Good games TrueTrials :emb: I dealt out so much self-ownage. At first I was like "this handicap ain't so bad OH MY GOD TOO FOOKING FAST" but I think it was good practice in all. I don't think I have it quite figured out how the mechanic works when it comes to competitive play, like, when you send over blocks, what determines where the gap is, etc. I've come to reach the conclusion that it's random... maybe. The Japanese though man, they don't crack under the pressure ever, surely and steadily clears out the blocks that are blocking the gaps, then clears 'em out. That's where I gotta practice, I need to learn how to be even more efficient in clearing out gaps while at the same time still do triples and tetrises. :)

Yea I had some great fun playing to, glad you took the time to play me :)

I hadn't played my DS in a good month or two so I was rusty as hell at first (you beat me the first 3 rounds straight 0-3 to you :emb: Then I came back and took it to 16-4 to me :p I saw you were using hanicap on most of the rounds, I used 1-2-3-4 on some but no 5 as it may just speed up the blocks but if you survive longer the blocks actually get so fast then they are on the floor as soon as they appear, no exageration! I prefer sticking with just 2 or 3 to be honest.

I practiced against the Japanese alot when I was playing it a few month back now, it was pretty sweet to see like me 2 lines from the top and then bring it all the way back down to all clear, then him at the top bar 2 lines and bring it back down and battle it out so it could go either way as long as no-one made a mistake, really tense and fun action!

Mario Kart was fun too there were a few races where you took me on the last corner and vice-versa, top stuff! I like to use WaLuigi and the Poltergeist 4000 car myself.

I loved your Neo-Geo Pocket Logo, it was spot on! Did you noticed mine was the Oblivion logo :p I'd just got the game at the time so though that'd be cool :)

Hope to play again sometime, hopefull with some 4-player Tetris and 4-Player Mario Kart, would be alot of fun :buttrock:

Olly.

bokmeow

TrueTrials said:
I loved your Neo-Geo Pocket Logo, it was spot on! Did you noticed mine was the Oblivion logo :p I'd just got the game at the time so though that'd be cool :)

Hope to play again sometime, hopefull with some 4-player Tetris and 4-Player Mario Kart, would be alot of fun :buttrock:

Olly.

I'd thrill to some 4-player Tetris and Mario Kart, I am obviously the weakest link since I bum my Wi-Fi connection from McD, where I do not have access to phpchat to coordinate a game. I hear Metroid Prime Hunters has voice chat? Maybe I'll bring my phat DS as a communicator, and DS-Lite as the gaming machine :emb:

Yeah, I heart my NGPC logo, I spent like a good half hour touching up every little detail while I was on the phone with a friend, heh. The Oblivion logo looks sharp mate, I know nothing about the game but I have to admit the logo is pretty fooking cool looking.

Tentatively going to open town gates on Friday night, just as I did last Friday, we should get some more games together.

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
I should get the game back and we should play. You're one of the few I hadn’t played on the site.

From the sound of things you'd probably whoop me :emb: but it would be nice if we could get a 4-player match going here sometime.

bokmeow said:
Tentatively going to open town gates on Friday night, just as I did last Friday, we should get some more games together.

bitchin'. I'll see if I can show up again, not 100% sure since Friday is when Snakes on a Plane opens and I'm not sure which showing we're going to here yet, haha. But yeah. I've been playing a bit of AC lately relatively late at night (around 10PM Pacific time) with someone who doesn't post here, but at any rate my gates are often open in the wee hours of the night if anyone here wants to stop by. I added a good deal of people who posted in the sticky thread but not all of them, so...

also, I'm somewhat fond of my Mario Kart icon ;)

wizkid007

20 Year Member
Yeah 4 player would be nice with some players on this site. My only gripe with it though is that it should be 150 cc on wifi. Not 100 as it currently is. You get the choice on wireless. Ah well.

BBH said:
From the sound of things you'd probably whoop me :emb: but it would be nice if we could get a 4-player match going here sometime.

bitchin'. I'll see if I can show up again, not 100% sure since Friday is when Snakes on a Plane opens and I'm not sure which showing we're going to here yet, haha. But yeah. I've been playing a bit of AC lately relatively late at night (around 10PM Pacific time) with someone who doesn't post here, but at any rate my gates are often open in the wee hours of the night if anyone here wants to stop by. I added a good deal of people who posted in the sticky thread but not all of them, so...

also, I'm somewhat fond of my Mario Kart icon ;)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
so people

who can jump on wfc whenever they want?

I'm assuming BBH ? and wizkid ? who else? :p

bokmeow

kernow said:
so people

who can jump on wfc whenever they want?

I'm assuming BBH ? and wizkid ? who else? :p

Blowhard :emb:

I can get on whenever you guys want, it just takes me about 20 minutes, so agree on a time and I'll be there.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol this agreeing on a time shiz is so non spontaneous :emb:

bokmeow

'cos like, the McDonald's close to me --- approximately 10 minutes --- straightened out their act, I now have a stable Wi-Fi Hotspot within acceptable traveling distance. In fact, there's even a CompUSA that's about 2-3 minutes by automobile from where I can coordinate games through our NG.com phpchat room.

If anyone's up for some games tomorrow, Wednesday 23 August, just let me know around what time, pop in phpchat to coordinate from there.

Last edited: