Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Le bump.
IMG_0091.jpg

A DE Bolt Thrower, nothing special, plus the lighting here is really bad atm, very overcast sky. Been kind of busy so I haven't had much time for painting, but the army is coming along nicely. I always have the tendency to overextend myself, I'm also planning Daemon (Tzeentch & Slaanesh headfuck host) and Wood Elf armies, I also impuse buy miniatures, argh.

Yo Duf, did you paint them 'Koptas? Pics plz.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bump.

I need to pick your brains on one thing: How to replace a broken-off tab? I mean the one at the miniature's feet. I recently got a batch of vintage Eldar for next to nothing, and a few of these suffer from the aforementioned. I thought of drilling small holes to the miniature's feet, inserting a [ -shaped piece of metal wire in there and then green stuff them to their bases. What's your method?

CafeineCake

Overtop Pathfinder
Bump.

I need to pick your brains on one thing: How to replace a broken-off tab? I mean the one at the miniature's feet. I recently got a batch of vintage Eldar for next to nothing, and a few of these suffer from the aforementioned. I thought of drilling small holes to the miniature's feet, inserting a [ -shaped piece of metal wire in there and then green stuff them to their bases. What's your method?

I did something pretty similar with my dark eldar, all i would say is be careful with the drilling the older plastic stuff always caused me headache.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
To answer the original OP's question, yes....yes I do :)

Die hard 'nid player here, though I gotta admit, the humans make some pretty amazing damned spaceships...

625413_516614631724561_1350697784_n.jpg

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Recently, I fulfilled my pledge to return to the modelling/painting of 40k minis 'some day' with the intention of converting and painting them for vignettes/display pieces. I went kind of nuts buying any kits that I felt like buying on impulse sprees. From the insanely massive amounts of various minis from all the races/armies, I find that I have enough to make:

1- almost an entire dark eldar army (only missing wracks/grotesues and a couple vehicles)
2- a mid-sized space marine army (minus any vehicles/dreadnaughts)
3- same as 2 above but chaos space marines

I've been thinking about actually playing the game again for the first time in 20 years.

Any of you guys play any of the armies above? Any advice on how they play, etc.?

Maybe it's time to be a geek again. :)

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Deadzone Kickstarter from Mantic games is up and running.... After Dreadball did so well, I am in for this one as well...

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Figured I would share some of my stuff here...

First up, one of my Warriors, a home-made/kit-bashed Tyranid Prime, and a Tyrant Guard

imag0064gv.jpg

Also, my WIP Hive Tyrant...

imag0063e.jpg

All from the (in)famous Hive Fleet Barney :D

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Recently, I fulfilled my pledge to return to the modelling/painting of 40k minis 'some day' with the intention of converting and painting them for vignettes/display pieces. I went kind of nuts buying any kits that I felt like buying on impulse sprees. From the insanely massive amounts of various minis from all the races/armies, I find that I have enough to make:

1- almost an entire dark eldar army (only missing wracks/grotesues and a couple vehicles)
2- a mid-sized space marine army (minus any vehicles/dreadnaughts)
3- same as 2 above but chaos space marines

I've been thinking about actually playing the game again for the first time in 20 years.

Any of you guys play any of the armies above? Any advice on how they play, etc.?

Maybe it's time to be a geek again. :)

Long time no see.

I used to play CSM back in Rogue Trader/2nd. ed times, so it was a bit different, since you had to summon the Daemons to the tabletop, etc... Hell, my army even had a horde of Beastmen armed only with h2h weapons and pistols :D

I've also been thinking of giving modern 40k a shot, I really like the new DE models. I also have an idea of building a Space Wolf army using only the classic miniatures.

m1460460a_99060112058_UrienRakarth1_445x319.jpg

m1780416a_99120112014_DEScourges01_873x627.jpg

Fantasy Battle wise I've been building a Wood Elf host for some time now, I really need to start using a spray undercoat.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I haven't played 40K in years but I've recently gotten back into tabletop gaming.

I won an auction recently for a complete boxed game of Warhammer Quest including treasure packs 1 & 2. I also won a sealed Witch Hunter off of another seller.

I much prefer the fantasy/campaign element to Warhammer Quest and can't wait to start painting the 90 plus miniatures that came with the game.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I also have an idea of building a Space Wolf army using only the classic miniatures.

I see only one possible problem with this idea- the classic miniatures are smaller in scale than the current ones. I find very little discussion on this online, but once I bought my first 'new' box of SM terminators, I discovered that they were larger than the ones I found in storage from back in the mid 90s. With regular marines it's big, but not huuuuge, but with terminators it's ridiculous.

An interesting note is that the really old sculpts they still make in GW's next big thing- 'finecast' resin- have been enlarged somehow to match the new scale, but the metal ones have not.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^yeah, I've noticed. But then again, the old miniatures are incredibly easy to find, and since the range is all metal, strpping them is no big deal. The new plastic Terminators look horrible, in addition to making them bigger, they've also changed their proportions. Also most of the new SW range is awful, e.g the remake of Njal Stormcaller, urgh.

I recently made the mistake of buying a half-built wood elf battalion, the problem being was that it was owned by some mong who didn't clean the parts properly before gluing them together, what a chore pulling apart 15+ Glade Guard so that I can sand and de-flash them. Also, these must be some of the worst-fitting GW minatures that I've ever had to work with, these sre going to need a lot of green stuff.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Bump. Colour test for my Wood Elf host, bad pic, sorry. I'm going for a spring theme with this one.
2j5dzqc.jpg

What have you others been up to?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Light wood looks good. I dont see that very often.

Anyone else going to Gencon again this year? I'll be there again. It's close and it's kind of a group ritual with my friends.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Got my room and ticket. Now it's just the long wait.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I take everything bad that I've said about the new Citadel 'layer' paints back, these are awesome, makes blending so much easier.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Currently assembling Dark Elf Warriors w/ Crossbows as part of the Warhammer Quest level 1 monster table. These models are so fiddly, it's taken me two hours to file and assemble three warriors.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Currently assembling Dark Elf Warriors w/ Crossbows as part of the Warhammer Quest level 1 monster table. These models are so fiddly, it's taken me two hours to file and assemble three warriors.

wow. people still managing to play that game? most people just switched to Descent. I'll never know why GW drops games like QH Quest. they were just fantastic.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
wow. people still managing to play that game? most people just switched to Descent. I'll never know why GW drops games like QH Quest. they were just fantastic.

I played it all the time when it was released. My mate picked it up and I picked up Necromunda. I never really got into Warhammer Fantasy or 40K as the campaign and RPG roles of both games held the greatest appeal.

It was a game of Talisman with some friends last year that made me remember how much I loved playing WHQ so I searched one out on eBay. I can't say the wife is too pleased with my new found interest.

Games Workshop really did screw up in dropping WHQ and Necromunda, both are fantastic and because of all the quality models you receive in WHQ it doesn't require someone to have to spend hundreds to put an army together, like I've been doing, I just purchase them as I want to complete to various monster levels.

I haven't played Descent but from what I've seen it looks very similar.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Their LOTR support is wavering too. I dont know if i'll ever play a GW game again.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This would be the best game of all time, period:

GW allows FFG to make a Warhammer 40K game using their Descent 2.0/Doom Ruleset.

Add in a campaign, fuck that would be amazing.

The base game would feature the player as Space Marines and they'd get to fight against a couple different enemy types (Orks/Nids/CSM).

Then make expansions that add other races, etc and make the system flexible enough so that eventually you could play the scenarios as the other races instead of Space Marines.

Fuck GW for not using their properties in a way that would make the most money.

The cheap injection molded figures used in Descent WILL NOT be competition for GW's actual nice models.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
This would be the best game of all time, period:

a Warhammer 40K game

Add in a campaign, fuck that would be amazing.

The base game would feature the player as Space Marines and they'd get to fight against a couple different enemy types (Orks/Nids/CSM).

Then make expansions that add other races, etc and make the system flexible enough so that eventually you could play the scenarios as the other races

Just play the original:
84991_md-Rogue%20Trader,%20Rulebook,%20Warhammer%2040,000.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So did anyone else ever get into Inquisitor?