All About NEO GEO CD

tleckske

n00b
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and new to NEO GEO.
I'm collecting retro games for the past 15 years now, but never bothered to collect NEO GEO.

Anyway, I recently bought a large collection of mixed consoles & games. This lot included a neo geo cd, an arcade stick and +/- 20 games.
The Neo Geo CD console is a PAL version, with a black & gray box. I tried to search ebay for a value check, but I haven't see a single console which had the same description / picture of the box.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0424.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0425.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0426.jpg

Is this a special version?
Do you guys have any idea about the value of the console?

Thanks for taking a look into this.

Regards

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and new to NEO GEO.
I'm collecting retro games for the past 15 years now, but never bothered to collect NEO GEO.

Anyway, I recently bought a large collection of mixed consoles & games. This lot included a neo geo cd, an arcade stick and +/- 20 games.
The Neo Geo CD console is a PAL version, with a black & gray box. I tried to search ebay for a value check, but I haven't see a single console which had the same description / picture of the box.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0424.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0425.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182300216/games/neogeo/IMAG0426.jpg

Is this a special version?
Do you guys have any idea about the value of the console?

Thanks for taking a look into this.

Regards
The grey box is just the english box. Nothing special. The purple one is the Japanese one.

tleckske

n00b
Ok, thanks for the quick reply!

Here's the list of the games that were included. Anything special?

Art of Fighting 2 Complete English
Bakumatsu Roman Gekka No Kenshi Complete Japanese
Double Dragon Sealed Japanese
Double Dragon Complete Japanese
Dunk Dream Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury 2 Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury 3 Road To The Final Victory Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury Real Bout 2 Front Cover/Booklet missing Japanese
Fatal Fury Special Complete Japanese
GanGan Complete Japanese
King of the Fighters Real Bout Complete Japanese
Real Bout Special Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits 2 Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits 3 Complete Japanese
The King of Fighters 94 Complete Japanese
The King of Fighters 95 Complete English
The King of Fighters 99 Complete Japanese
The Last Blade 2 Complete Japanese
The Way of the Blade Complete Japanese
Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy Complete English
View Point (Shooter) Complete Japanese
World Heroes 2 Jet Complete English
World Heroes Perfect Complete Japanese

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Ok, thanks for the quick reply!

Here's the list of the games that were included. Anything special?

Art of Fighting 2 Complete English
Bakumatsu Roman Gekka No Kenshi Complete Japanese
Double Dragon Sealed Japanese
Double Dragon Complete Japanese
Dunk Dream Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury 2 Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury 3 Road To The Final Victory Complete Japanese
Fatal Fury Real Bout 2 Front Cover/Booklet missing Japanese
Fatal Fury Special Complete Japanese
GanGan Complete Japanese
King of the Fighters Real Bout Complete Japanese
Real Bout Special Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits 2 Complete Japanese
Samurai Spirits 3 Complete Japanese
The King of Fighters 94 Complete Japanese
The King of Fighters 95 Complete English
The King of Fighters 99 Complete Japanese
The Last Blade 2 Complete Japanese
The Way of the Blade Complete Japanese
Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy Complete English
View Point (Shooter) Complete Japanese
World Heroes 2 Jet Complete English
World Heroes Perfect Complete Japanese
You will have to refer to the price guide for those. Nothing uber rare, but some nice titles.

Nice little collection there to start your NG cd collecting. Nothing super rare but Top Hunter (English) is a nice grab. Unfortunately some games do get pricey. Not as bad as an AES but titles like Bri'kinger, breakers, neo drift out & big tournament golf will get a bit expensive

mer-curius

n00b
Hi. First of all sorry to bump the thread, but as I can't create a new one, send PMs or visit profiles due to new users' limitations I thought my question could fit this thread.

Some old Neo Geo CD games like KOF '94, '95 and Kabuki Klash received a Spanish translation, but you can't change the language within the games' options. The language is chosen according to the hardware's region setup.

I'd like to know if there's a way to initiate any of these games with the Spanish translation in the real console. In other words, did SNK planned a "Spain" region setup besides the known "Japan", "USA", "Europe" and "Brazil" ones? Otherwise it would've turned impossible to play these games in Spanish on a Neo Geo CD.

I've tried to google about that but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks a lot in advance if anyone could help.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Hi. First of all sorry to bump the thread, but as I can't create a new one, send PMs or visit profiles due to new users' limitations I thought my question could fit this thread.

Some old Neo Geo CD games like KOF '94, '95 and Kabuki Klash received a Spanish translation, but you can't change the language within the games' options. The language is chosen according to the hardware's region setup.

I'd like to know if there's a way to initiate any of these games with the Spanish translation in the real console. In other words, did SNK planned a "Spain" region setup besides the known "Japan", "USA", "Europe" and "Brazil" ones? Otherwise it would've turned impossible to play these games in Spanish on a Neo Geo CD.

I've tried to google about that but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks a lot in advance if anyone could help.

You could always region mod your system. Xian Xi has a tutorial on his website:

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

Flip it to Euro and see what you get?

mer-curius

n00b
You could always region mod your system. Xian Xi has a tutorial on his website:

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

Flip it to Euro and see what you get?
Yeah, I know it could be region modded. But I meant without any modding?

Perhaps to have these games shown in Spanish a Neo Geo CD would have to be set either to the "Europe" region and the PAL color system?

Let's see if someone with a PAL console could leave a message and contribute with some info.

Anyway thanks Neodogg for your post!

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I have a European Neo Geo CD but i only have 2 games for it: Viewpoint and Metal Slug.
Both CD's are the English and i can tell you for sure that there is no option to have Spanish language in the game.
All other games i don't know because i simply don't own them for the Neo Geo CD but Viewpoint was a pretty old game.

mer-curius

n00b
I have a European Neo Geo CD but i only have 2 games for it: Viewpoint and Metal Slug.
Both CD's are the English and i can tell you for sure that there is no option to have Spanish language in the game.
All other games i don't know because i simply don't own them for the Neo Geo CD but Viewpoint was a pretty old game.
Interesting. I suppose your console is set to "Europe" region and "PAL" color system, right?

I'm going to download these games and check whether they received a Spanish translation.

KOF '94 and Kabuki Klash did receive Spanish translations, besides Japanese and English. But since these games won't let you change the language within the game, the only way to do that is by changing the console's region setup. For the Japanese translation, "Japan" region. For the English, "USA" or (perhaps, needs to be confirmed) "Europe". What about the Spanish one? Isn't there a way to trigger it in the real console?

I don't if the forum prohibit it, but would you mind downloading just one of these games to make this quick language test in your PAL console?

Thank you so much in advance.

Bill Kilgore

Sorry dude but i don't have a CDR-writer and i think that downloaded games might damage the lens of the console like it did with a Dreamcast.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
CDRW could not be loaded by NeoGeo CD (but the CDR yes)

mer-curius

n00b
CDRW could not be loaded by NeoGeo CD (but the CDR yes)
Hi, Kuk. Would you mind making this test for me if you have a PAL console set to the "Europe" region (or if you're able to change the region in your console)?

Just load KOF '94 or Kabuki Klash and see on the "How to play" screen whether the language is Spanish.

You could test KOF '95 too if you had it; this game has Japanese, English, Spanish and Portuguese translations. The Portuguese translation is triggered when the region is set to "Brazil" (Europe + USA jumpers).

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to do that.

Bill Kilgore

I also have a PAL AES system with KoF '95 and also here the only language available is English.
The only way i know how to get Spanish language on a game is if you have an MVS and change the software settings on it.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Hi, Kuk. Would you mind making this test for me if you have a PAL console set to the "Europe" region (or if you're able to change the region in your console)?

Just load KOF '94 or Kabuki Klash and see on the "How to play" screen whether the language is Spanish.

You could test KOF '95 too if you had it; this game has Japanese, English, Spanish and Portuguese translations. The Portuguese translation is triggered when the region is set to "Brazil" (Europe + USA jumpers).

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to do that.

I am able to change the region but Only the traditional Euro, US, Jap
If you want the brasilian or Spanish you should do an Hard modification on the CM

I list all the game who have the langage option: option langue

King of Fighters '94
Option Langues Non

King of Fighters '95
Option Langues Non

Kabuki Klash: Tengai Makyo Shinden
Option Langues Non

:down:

Last edited:

mer-curius

n00b
I also have a PAL AES system with KoF '95 and also here the only language available is English.
The only way i know how to get Spanish language on a game is if you have an MVS and change the software settings on it.
So the AES console only allows three region setups: Japan, USA and Europe? There's no possibility of a "Brazil" region as we have with the CD version?

Anyway is most likely set to the "Europe" region, therefore it's curious the "Europe" region also triggers the English language.

But both the AES and CD versions of this game received four translations: Japanese, English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Anyway thanks a lot for your testing with the AES system. :)

I list all the game who have the langage option: option langue

King of Fighters '94
Option Langues Non

King of Fighters '95
Option Langues Non

Kabuki Klash: Tengai Makyo Shinden
Option Langues Non
These games do have language options, that is, they did receive more than one translation. The problem is that you can't change the languages within the game. The language will be chosen according to the region setup of your CD console.

KOF '94 and Kabuki Klash received Japanese, English and Spanish translations.

KOF '95 has Japanese, English, Spanish and Portuguese.

So, if the region of your console is set to "Japan", KOF '95 will be in Japanese. If it's set to "USA", it will be in English. If set to "Europe", it should also be in English according to the AES system behavior (?needs to be confirmed). Finally, if the region is set "Brazil" (both Europe and USA jumpers shorted), it will be in Portuguese.

My question is: isn't there a Neo Geo CD region and/or color setup that could trigger the Spanish translation on any of these games that won't let you change the language from the game options? Would've SNK put this language there and let it unavailable at all?

kuk said:
I am able to change the region but Only the traditional Euro, US, Jap
If you want the brasilian or Spanish you should do an Hard modification on the CM
What is CM?

Thank you so much for your time again. :)

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Sorrry CM it's in french for mother board (Carte Mère)
You should have the text only if you do the hard modification of the Jumper

xenphor

n00b
I'm just playing my neocd again for the first time in a while and notice something strange. If I boot the system with a cd (burned) it comes up with static on the tv and takes awhile to get to the bios, sometimes even rebooting. It also someimtes even reboots while during gameplay. And as I'm typing this, I got a Disk I/O error ID = 003 Please Power Off while playing kof 97. Obviously the problem seems to be with the cdr, but I made sure to get good quality discs (verbatim shiny silver) and burned at low speed on a new external dvd burner. I'm not sure what else I could do differently unless it is that picky for some reason?? Or could my laser be messed up somehow?

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I'm just playing my neocd again for the first time in a while and notice something strange. If I boot the system with a cd (burned) it comes up with static on the tv and takes awhile to get to the bios, sometimes even rebooting. It also someimtes even reboots while during gameplay. And as I'm typing this, I got a Disk I/O error ID = 003 Please Power Off while playing kof 97. Obviously the problem seems to be with the cdr, but I made sure to get good quality discs (verbatim shiny silver) and burned at low speed on a new external dvd burner. I'm not sure what else I could do differently unless it is that picky for some reason?? Or could my laser be messed up somehow?

You need to check the master list for protections. There were two different forms of protection used on NGCD games. For want of a better term, I'll refer to them as the 'Top Loader protections' and the 'CDZ protections'. Some games were released with one, some the other, some both, and some none. You need to reference the game list to find out which protections (if any) the particular ISO you are attempting to burn has, and patch accordingly. If the game in question has these particular protections on it and you burn a copy without patching, the behavior that you have described will occur.

xenphor

n00b
is that a comprehensive list? because I believe it also happened with kof94 which isnt on there.

mer-curius

n00b
Sorrry CM it's in french for mother board (Carte Mère)
You should have the text only if you do the hard modification of the Jumper
Hi, kuk. Thanks a lot for the reply.

What would be these "hard modifications"? Isn't it just the region jumpers setup?

Have you already seen one of these games (KOF '94, KOF '95 and/or Kabuki Klash) running in Spanish on a real NGCD?

Thank you again for your great attention.