AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Damn this looks like an awesome project, too bad the Kickstarter failed. If this gets revived I'll definitely buy a few, I love how these look.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Hey Quan, whats the update on this project? I'm actually really interested in this

I do have an update on this but I'm on a time crunch to get inventory shipped out to Milwaukee for MGC next week. I'll have more details this weekend.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
You are the man, I will pour out a shot of fireball on a hnr tonight in your honor.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Please dont let this be an april fools joke...

It's not but it's also not the full steam ahead that people are hoping for. The announcement isn't so much about the shells but about what's going inside. The issue with getting the shells green lighted is that there isn't enough demand in selling just empty shells to make it worthwhile. If you can manage to rally the troops and get the minimums met, I'll gladly forward the project files to the machine shop and get started.

Now, the only way I would move forward without reaching that threshold is to have some meaningful content (i.e. games) to go inside of it. Jeff tried to help out on that front on the KS with Knight's Chance (thank you by the way) but it still didn't quite make it there. For the past few months, I've been working behind the scenes with some talented people on a project that would hopefully satisfy that requirement. I'll refrain from too many details until a working unit is produced and put up a video demo of what is going on. But what I can tell you is that the software portion I'm responsible for is close to completion (at least from a first run draft) as well as the software from the other main programmer.

So how does this relate to the shells? If the project is question becomes viable and goes into production, the shells will too. Enough shells will be made to enclose the project as well as take preorders for those that want empty shells. Any leftovers or extras will be sold as well. Future batches of shells will coincide with the need to reprint the "project" and/or a healthy of amount of preorders for empty ones. I don't have the storage space to keep many of these as a stocking item so orders of empty shells will be sold as preorder items and extras will be first come first served. At best, the production runs would come quarterly or biannually.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Hopefully there will be another cd conversion game needing shells down the line... This is wonderful news though, can't wait to hear the details.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sounds cool. Can't wait to find out more about what might be going in the shell.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Shadowkn55 do you have an estimated price yet? To see how much saving I'll have to do, I haven't read the whole thread but I assume the carts fit in shock boxes right?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Shadowkn55 do you have an estimated price yet? To see how much saving I'll have to do, I haven't read the whole thread but I assume the carts fit in shock boxes right?

$15 was the original target price. And yes, they would still fit in shock boxes. That was one of the first things I tested when the protos were made.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Like this genius right there:
https://youtu.be/Y8fkkKpk5wQ?t=19m (19:00)

B6zfmCx.jpg
It's bad when someone does his homework based on Wikipedia!

By any chance is that guy liquid snake? Too many pics like the ones he uses all the time!