Advance Guardian Heroes hate?

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
So,

After reading through a couple of threads, namely the one about the new gunstar heroes game, it seems as though at least a few people really didn't like this game.

How come?

I thought pretty much everything from graphics to sounds to gameplay was pretty top notch; i don't know what else they could have done.

How could you not like that repel/parry system? that was cool, man!

I owned the first one for saturn for a while, didn't get through the single player though.

So to all haters, I ask that you spew forth your justifications in great detail. I'm very curious.

Thanks.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
i didnt hate it but its definately not worthy of the guardian heroes name.

i think that pretty much sums up everyones hate for it.

i mean ur pretty much hitting the same thing the entire game, then ur flying around on spaceships i was simply wtf is going on here!?

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
just wasn't as good as it was for saturn thats all. not bad just not that great either, plus the devil mode or whatever is so pointless.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I actually disliked the graphics. They weren't bad, just... not my taste I guess. Personal preference. As for the game itself, I thought the control was terrible. They should have kept the three planes system from the Saturn original IMO. Hit detection was weak at best. I honestly didn't play through much of the game, but in the thirty minutes or so I did play it, I knew I never really wanted to play through it.

Overall, just a bad game. And it was inevitable that it'd be compared the original. It fell really short in that respect.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Control was shit.
Hated the re-designed character designs

= me have the right to Loathe this game.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Plus, it kind of broke Treasure's winning streak of great games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I didn't think it was all that bad. Sure, the hit detection needed some work, and yes, the controls were kind of on ice, but I still enjoyed it. I'm stuck on the last boss though.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I think a more appropriate title would have been Advance Guardian Slowdown myself. ;)

I really felt the controls and overall collisions just weren't worthy of the money. I mean there are beat'em ups from fifteen years ago that have better gameplay and that's kind of tragic given the technology and relative ease of development at hand on the GBA.

Ditto on the graphics subcons.

People need to look at Advance Double Dragon and Zanac X Zanac to see how this sort of thing is done.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
What is Zanac X Zanac? I love beat 'em ups, so if there is a good one out there I don't know about, let me know. Thanks.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Zanac X Zanac is so awesome.

It's Zanac Neo, an awesome new Zanac game, and it also includes the original Zanac. EVERY version of Zanac is on there, and you can mix and match whether it has various graphic/sound/slowdown fixes or not. So if you want you can play it EXACTLY like it is on the NES OR the Famicom, but with the graphic breakup site.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
iamyagami22 said:
devil mode or whatever is so pointless.
I haven't played this game, but hearing about this mode (six extra minutes of life then the game is over IIRC) sounds like maybe this feature is to help players see what dangers there are further down the path so as not to make the mistake of getting killed again.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Neo Rasa said:
Zanac X Zanac is so awesome.

It's Zanac Neo, an awesome new Zanac game, and it also includes the original Zanac. EVERY version of Zanac is on there, and you can mix and match whether it has various graphic/sound/slowdown fixes or not. So if you want you can play it EXACTLY like it is on the NES OR the Famicom, but with the graphic breakup site.

Fuck yeah, I really miss my copy of that game now. Such a bitchin' 2D treat, the swan song of the mighty Compile. Unbelievable soundtrack too. Anyone got mp3s?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
It appears that 'streak' is utterly destroyed.

Check out this thread for the Gunstar Super Heroes preview...simply incredible.
Here.