8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Also, anyway to swap out the 8bitdo joystick parts for the original neo geo CD controller? I don't have an original CD controller to try.
Maybe? If one was willing to desolder the parts it might be doable. I'm not going to try though, I'd hate to kill an original.

1705805977324.png

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Blueretro Adapter
Link 2

Picked up one of these when they were on pre-order and it works great. The injection molded exterior and the black color blend seamlessly with my CD console as compared to the 3D printed bright red Neo BT adapter that I picked up originally. Price is right and you can have a full wireless CD setup for about $55 total.
Ordered ! Thank you!!!

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Maybe? If one was willing to desolder the parts it might be doable. I'm not going to try though, I'd hate to kill an original.

View attachment 71222
Thanks for posting these pictures. I was thinking more in line of getting an original neo CD controller and using 8 bito controller as replacement parts such as the 4 grey plastics that actuate the directional pad by the joystick. My research is that those are the problem areas on the original CD controller.

NeoSeeD

n00b
That’s pretty slick, might have to snag a couple of these. No noticeable lag?
None that I can detect on my setup. Once connected, we played a bunch of games and completely forgot that we were playing wirelessly.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Thanks for posting these pictures. I was thinking more in line of getting an original neo CD controller and using 8 bito controller as replacement parts such as the 4 grey plastics that actuate the directional pad by the joystick. My research is that those are the problem areas on the original CD controller.
It might be doable. Just eyeballing them they look like the parts would work with each board. I'm kinda impressed the 8bitdo is so similar.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Just get in line. More on the way. You have to be patient with this stuff.
We shouldn't have to jump through hoops trying to get a modern neo geo cd controller by 8bitdo to work on original hardware. 8bitdo caters to the retro crowd but their controllers don't work on the systems it was inspired from. They should have done more product or market research that original hardware like the neo geo cd controllers are 25+ years old, most likely worn out or broken, costly to import, and would be great if their product can be a direct replacement. All these kids using the 8bitdo controller to play neo games on the switch would eventually get the AES or CMVC anyways. Done venting!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We shouldn't have to jump through hoops trying to get a modern neo geo cd controller by 8bitdo to work on original hardware. 8bitdo caters to the retro crowd but their controllers don't work on the systems it was inspired from. They should have done more product or market research that original hardware like the neo geo cd controllers are 25+ years old, most likely worn out or broken, costly to import, and would be great if their product can be a direct replacement. All these kids using the 8bitdo controller to play neo games on the switch would eventually get the AES or CMVC anyways. Done venting!
I agree, but it's 8bitdo's fault. Humble Bazooka has been hand-soldering parts of these to make more available.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I received both Neo BT and Retro Scaler's BlueRetro blue tooth adapter to use with the neo geo wireless controller. Though I don't have specialized equipment to measure the latency, I do "feel" the Retro Scaler's adapter have just a tiny tiny tiny more latency than Neo BT, but it's still quite good for $18 shipped from aliexpress / china. Hard to measure the "feel" as well since most neo games have slow downs on top of the my flat screen TV and framemeister's inherent input lag. I would say both products are pretty good though but I only used it with neo geo wireless controller, which I imagine what most people will be using here. Below are some product comparison.

Neo BT
- $54 shipped from SAG, really pricey for an adapter. Though on Humble Bazooka's website, a portion of the sales goes to the creator of this open sourced technology.
- It only comes shipped in a tiny zip lock bag with a QR sticker code for instruction manual. Prefer to come with some type of package to store the adapter when not in use.
- The adapter is extremely well made for a 3D printed product.
- Easy to pair with neo wireless controller. Just plug the adapter in and press start on the controller.
- Fireware update through bluetooth connection with the hardware / console turned on. I haven't use this feature and can't really comment further on ease of use.

Retro Scaler BlueRetro
- $18 shipped from Aliexpress.
- Comes with a printed box and printed manual. I prefer something like this for easy storage of the adapter when not in use.
- The adapter is injection molded. The adapter do comes with a dongle to connect the adapter to your system as some said the adapter itself is too wide to fit into the system directly. The adapter fits perfectly into my Omega CMVS without the use of the dongle. I'm waiting to get my newly moded AES back from Xian Xi and will report back if the dongle is required for the AES.
- Easy to pair with neo wireless controller. Just plug the adapter in and press start on the controller.
- Fireware update through usb-c connection from adapter to PC. I haven't use this feature and can't really comment further on ease of use.
- As discussed prior, the adapter "feels" it has more latency then Neo BT but this can be up for debate as I have no equipment to test nor do I know how to test other than the "feel" during gaming.

So which product I would recommend? Tough to say at the moment without further testing on the latency between the two product as I know the quality of bluetooth hardware technology varies. Perhaps people with both adapters can chime in as well.Neo Geo Adapter.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
- The adapter is injection molded. The adapter do comes with a dongle to connect the adapter to your system as some said the adapter itself is too wide to fit into the system directly. The adapter fits perfectly into my Omega CMVS without the use of the dongle. I'm waiting to get my newly moded AES back from Xian Xi and will report back if the dongle is required for the AES.
That doesn't surprise me, since the Omega uses off the shelf modern DB-15 ports, which are shallow compared to the Neo Geo originals.
- As discussed prior, the adapter "feels" it has more latency then Neo BT but this can be up for debate as I have no equipment to test nor do I know how to test other than the "feel" during gaming.
Plug in both adapters at once with a controller each during a 2-player game. Press the button on both pads at the same time and see if there's any noticeable delay between the two players.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Plug in both adapters at once with a controller each during a 2-player game. Press the button on both pads at the same time and see if there's any noticeable delay between the two players.
Good idea on testing method but I only have one controller at the moment. Not sure if I'll get a second one as it's just me playing.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Good idea on testing method but I only have one controller at the moment. Not sure if I'll get a second one as it's just me playing.
You know woot's been basically giving them away. I have a stack of unopened ones.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
You know woot's been basically giving them away. I have a stack of unopened ones.
I'm looking at woot's right now and doing more research on the company even though its says it owned by Amazon. Is it really "New" or refurbished? My research of the company is that they sell returned items from Amazon

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm looking at woot's right now and doing more research on the company even though its says it owned by Amazon. Is it really "New" or refurbished? My research of the company is that they sell returned items from Amazon

I've only bought from woot once or twice, but it was new items when I did. The listing you posted says the pad is new...

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

I have 8 of these fuckken things.
Seven of them came from woot and all of them new in box.
I'm pretty sure Amazon puts stuff on woot for deep discount when they need to make space for new or more popular inventory in their wearhouse.
I also believe, at least for the character specific ones it's a single run and once they are gone that's it.
The basic black ones are mostly nostalgia bait for nerds like us and will get discontinued in a year or two.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I received both Neo BT and Retro Scaler's BlueRetro blue tooth adapter to use with the neo geo wireless controller. Though I don't have specialized equipment to measure the latency, I do "feel" the Retro Scaler's adapter have just a tiny tiny tiny more latency than Neo BT, but it's still quite good for $18 shipped from aliexpress / china. Hard to measure the "feel" as well since most neo games have slow downs on top of the my flat screen TV and framemeister's inherent input lag. I would say both products are pretty good though but I only used it with neo geo wireless controller, which I imagine what most people will be using here. Below are some product comparison.

Neo BT
- $54 shipped from SAG, really pricey for an adapter. Though on Humble Bazooka's website, a portion of the sales goes to the creator of this open sourced technology.
- It only comes shipped in a tiny zip lock bag with a QR sticker code for instruction manual. Prefer to come with some type of package to store the adapter when not in use.
- The adapter is extremely well made for a 3D printed product.
- Fireware update through bluetooth connection with the hardware / console turned on. I haven't use this feature and can't really comment further on ease of use.

Retro Scaler BlueRetro
- $18 shipped from Aliexpress.
- Comes with a printed box and printed manual. I prefer something like this for easy storage of the adapter when not in use.
- Fireware update through usb-c connection from adapter to PC. I haven't use this feature and can't really comment further on ease of use.

So which product I would recommend? Tough to say at the moment without further testing on the latency between the two product as I know the quality of bluetooth hardware technology varies. Perhaps people with both adapters can chime in as well.View attachment 71394
So both of these adapters are for 100% wireless connectivity?

- is there a list of compatible controllers?
- seems a USB pass-thru would have been cool to add to this.

if there's not that much of a difference between the two - why wouldn't the BlueRetro be the clear winner? (cheaper, smaller, cleaner)

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
So both of these adapters are for 100% wireless connectivity?

- is there a list of compatible controllers?
- seems a USB pass-thru would have been cool to add to this.

if there's not that much of a difference between the two - why wouldn't the BlueRetro be the clear winner? (cheaper, smaller, cleaner)
The list of compatible controller for Neo BT with latency stats is on the SAG website. 8bitDo is listed at 16.2 ms delay. See here

There is a list of compatible controller from Retro Scaler BlueRetro but didn't post the latency stats. See here.

Since both are using open source tech called BlueRetro, I would assume the list of compatibility would be the same as long as you update the firmware. I think it all boils down to the quality of bluetooth technology that's used for each adapter. Though I could be wrong as I'm not a techy person or a coder by trade.

For me personally, I would pay for the more expensive product if it has reduced latency but as discussed, I don't have a definite proof that one out performs the other at the moment other than feelings when play the games. If you are on a budget, Scaler BlueRetro is definitely a better value at the moment.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
The basic black ones are mostly nostalgia bait for nerds like us and will get discontinued in a year or two.
What really frustrates me of the current retro scene is the products don't last more than a year or two. Especially the Neo scene. I had been searching high and low for Rad2x hdmi cable for the Neo and the 2X scart retrotink with no luck.