3DS - Sega 3D Classics Series

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most of the games are fantastic on the old 3DS's, the only exception is Afterburner, as I use the R and L buttons a lot so I can't keep the unit perfectly still for the 3d effect. Still great in 2d though.

Last edited:

brettybluevein

New Challenger
Sega originally got in trouble for the Ferrari-like logo on the car in the arcades, too. There's no way I could see them spending money for a license to use the logo on this version of the game, and really... It doesn't bother me one bit. OutRun is about the drive and the music. If you're looking at the logo on the back of the car, you're probably crashing into a sign somewhere ;) It's really hard to fault this port, Shenmue car model and all, especially with all of the extra attention and love they threw in to make it play and sound so great.

There's a Shenmue car?! Oh man I must snag this. I wish they would make a physical copy and release with all the classics on it.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Last day of the sale in EU Nintendo eShop so thinking of getting one more - which one of the below titles would you recommend:

- Space Harrier
- Shinobi 3
- Galaxy Force II
- Ecco
- Altered Beast

I am thinking either Space Harrier or Galaxy Force II. Not too sure about the other three titles - was never really into them on the Mega Drive, but maybe the 3D versions make it worthwhile... any ideas?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's a Shenmue car?! Oh man I must snag this. I wish they would make a physical copy and release with all the classics on it.

What he means is the version of Outrun that was in Shemue 2 was altered so it wouldn't look like a Ferrari. That is the same model used in the 3DS version.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Last day of the sale in EU Nintendo eShop so thinking of getting one more - which one of the below titles would you recommend:

- Space Harrier
- Shinobi 3
- Galaxy Force II
- Ecco
- Altered Beast

I am thinking either Space Harrier or Galaxy Force II. Not too sure about the other three titles - was never really into them on the Mega Drive, but maybe the 3D versions make it worthwhile... any ideas?

Galaxy Force. Its the arcade version and not the shitty mega drive one.

brettybluevein

New Challenger
What he means is the version of Outrun that was in Shemue 2 was altered so it wouldn't look like a Ferrari. That is the same model used in the 3DS version.

Oh I see, thanks for clarification. I was thinking they skinned a car with Shenmue graphics. I spent a lot of time in Shenmue 2 playing the arcade games, I loved that they added that little side bit. If I recall correctly weren't they pretty hard to locate? I remember them being in this dimly lit warehouse.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't played that game in over a decade, but if I recall there were a few games that were easy to find, but Afterburner 2 was hidden somewhere.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
As for Outrun I played the Megadrive and PC Engine ports today for comparison. I feel that out of the two, the PC Engine port is overall better and plays more true to the arcade. In the Megadrive version, one annoying aspect is that when playing with the music on (lets face it, in Outrun this is a must) you loose the engine sound, which is retarded. In PC Engine version, you both have the music and engine note. PC Engine also gets the colours better, especially the Ferrari red. Speaking of Ferrari's can't help to once again moan on how much more nicer the Testarossa looks in the above two ports than that hideous monstrosity of a car they used in the 3DS version (due to the new phoenix style badge on the car's rear end I call it the Wu-mobile). The other thing I noticed, especially when playing the Mega Drive / PC Engine ports and comparing to 3DS is that - maybe due to the increased framerate - you can now hardly see any animation on the car tires. Its now only really visible at low speed, which is a bit of a bummer IMO.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I downloaded Fantasy Zone on the weekend. Damn, I forgot how frustrating this game can be, it's really difficult to start with. I don't know why but it took me quite a while to get used to how the ship moved, to start with I just kept running into things. It's still great fun though and I love the added feature of saving up your cash and being able to select a level, I'd never get any further than stage 3 or 4 without them.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The scrolling just feels off to me in every version of FZ I've played. Sometimes I feel you're too close to the edge of the screen to see what's coming at you. I also don't like you spend money on weapons and they whittle down to nothing right as you start using them. Wish they had a 3rd button you could turn them on or off to save them for boss fights.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah I know what you mean about the scrolling. Sometimes it moves so fast and you're so close to the screen you have no chance to get out of the way. I suppose as you play more you kind of learn to avoid getting in those situations.

A power up at a boss fight would be wonderful. I just buy the Laserbeam and go from one hub(?) to the next, trying to blast them all before the damn thing runs out.

Conker73

n00b
I am so happy with Outrun 3D - and so far it is by far the game I have played most on my New 3DS. Now I am just looking forward to Thunder Blade 3D in may :drool:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fantasy Zone 2 is coming out next week in NA. The Next 3 titles were announced as well: Streets of Rage 2, GUNSTAR HEROES, and Sonic 2.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Fantasy Zone 2 is coming out next week in NA. The Next 3 titles were announced as well: Streets of Rage 2, GUNSTAR HEROES, and Sonic 2.

Can't wait for the Fantasy Zone 2, I've already 1cc'd the 1st 3D one :)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

I'm not interested in Fantasy Zone 2, but I'll be buying SoR 2, Gunstar Heroes, and Sonic 2.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Can't wait for Gunstar Herores and Sonic 2 . Didn't really like Streets of Rage Series.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Gunter Heroes!? I will be keeping my out for that one.

I hope they end up doing some action rpg and strategy stuff. I think a lot of those games would transfer well to 3d. Especially Landstalker, and the shining force games. The battle sequences anyway. I would also love to see Shining in the darkness, or any wonder boy game. Especially Monster World.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I hope they end up doing some action rpg and strategy stuff. I think a lot of those games would transfer well to 3d. Especially Landstalker, and the shining force games.

Oh my god, could you imagine? They have mostly done arcade games, but Ecco is an exception, so I guess it could be possible... Fingers crossed!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Did you get Steel Empire yet? Oh man you should if you haven't!

WHOA, thanks for the heads up about this, I was unaware!

"In August 2013, Starfish announced its intention to release another remake of Steel Empire, this time for the Nintendo 3DS handheld system.[14] The 3DS version would take advantage of the handheld's 3D screen and feature additional graphic and difficulty improvements.[14] The game was scheduled for release in Japan in December 2013, with no announced plans to port the game beyond Japan at the time.[14] It was finally released in Japan in March 19, 2014.[15] In July 2014, Nintendo itself announced that Steel Empire would be released in North America for Nintendo 3DS as a download from the Nintendo eShop on July 31, 2014.[16]"

Conker73

n00b
Has anyone seen a release date for 3D Thunder Blade? It should be out in may, but I can't find a date :)

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Got both JPN and US 3D Thunder Blade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome~~~~

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have outrun, galaxy force 2 and fantasty zone 2, all the 3 are really great. The 3d effect is perfect