3DS - Sega 3D Classics Series

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
So far I'm loving the game. The biggest eyesore to me is the change in car design. The Testarossa has been my favorite Ferrari growing up. Changing the logo is one thing, but the complete back end (lights) is something that sticks out to me.

Again, this is the only thing I'm not a fan of. I've got this game in every port version made commercially available. The game really is a treat on the eyes, plays very smooth, and sounds great after all the work they put into getting the music recreated (original ports were slightly off). Having to pull the sound from the original PCB, run a modulator on it, and record the precise output really shows how much effort these guys put into this port.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
So far I'm loving the game. The biggest eyesore to me is the change in car design. The Testarossa has been my favorite Ferrari growing up. Changing the logo is one thing, but the complete back end (lights) is something that sticks out to me.

The car model is just plain ugly, not just from the back end, but also e.g. from the side, missing the Testarossa's side air intakes. I guess the whole point was that they had to make the car not look like a Ferrari.
Despite the above gripe, the game itself is great, really pick up and play for a few minutes type experience that's ideally suited to the 3DS. Also happy to have it on digital download, since I can fire it up for a quick spin between other games without having to locate and change game cards etc.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Heads up people, for those on EU Nintendo eShop:

50% SALE @ NINTENDO ESHOP ON SEGA 3D CLASSICS UNTIL 20 MARCH 2015
- Streets of Rage
- Super Hang On
- Space Harrier
- Shinobi 3
- Galaxy Force II
- Ecco
- Altered Beast

All at c.a. USD 2.50 a pop (at least that's the conversion from the European eShop).

Just got Streets of Rage and Super Hang On, shame After Burner II is not on the list. At these prices I figure its going to work out cheaper than in physical form should the games ever get a physical release.

Any suggestions as to whether the other titles are worth getting? On the fence with regard to Space Harrier, however at these prices the other also seem fair game since they can always change their minds and return them to the standard prices... thoughts / opinions etc. welcome.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Hmm...I jus might pick up Super Hang-On for that price...

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I've checked on the canadian eshop to buy the ones I missed but they are listed at the regular prices.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I skipped Super Hang On so I'm gonna pick it up for sure. How's the 3rd Shinobi? I only have vague memories of it. Shadow Dancer is still one of my personal faves.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The sale is irrelevant, you should all have these games already.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just in case anybody is interested below a quick opinion on the two new purchases:
- Streets of Rage 3D - I would definitely recommend this one. It may just be a 2D beat em up, but the 3D works really well here, adding a sense of depth to the playing field. Despite its age and the fact that the game is a Mega Drive / Genesis title and not a arcade title it is still a joy to look at, has great atmosphere and a kicking soundtrack and most important of all plays really well
- Super Hang On - not too sure about this one. Even though it is an arcade port, I don't think it has aged particularly well. Gameplay is pretty monotonous and the graphics are showing their age. Playing this kind of makes me wish somebody would do the original Mega Drive Road Rash in 3D. Personally I would really leave this strictly for fans of the arcade, I do not think there is much here for anyone else.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'd be all over it if it was Streets of Rage 2, the first one isn't as good, everytime I play it I'm wishing I was playing the sequel for all the reasons you described about the first one.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The car does morph a bit into a Ferrari with the upgrade parts attached. ;) The backend, specifically, deletes the whale butt with the spoiler upgrade. The fully upgraded car is nuts, too. I love the constant 350+ it can reach. Sure, it's cheating a bit, but you can tweak time down in the settings to make it more of a challenge... and OutRun looks great at those speeds.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Guess I'm just going to buy the japanese physical release...updating my firmware now just to access the eshop would be a bad idea.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'd be all over it if it was Streets of Rage 2, the first one isn't as good, everytime I play it I'm wishing I was playing the sequel for all the reasons you described about the first one.

I like the atmosphere better in the first one, its gritty and the whole game takes place during one evening / night, moving through the city boroughs. The second one is a better game but plot wise its a bit all over the place - fairgrounds, exotic beaches etc.
As for the 3DS SoR one thing I noticed is on the 3rd stage they didn't get the waves on the beach right - when you walk in the water instead of the water covering your feet like in the original Megadrive version you appear to be walking on the water.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
The sale is irrelevant, you should all have these games already.

Thats kind of the problem, most people already have these games, just on other systems. Even with the 3D and extra features I guess the point is that no one is overly keen to pay twice for the same IP.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Thats kind of the problem, most people already have these games, just on other systems. Even with the 3D and extra features I guess the point is that no one is overly keen to pay twice for the same IP.

It's been said a million times already, but it bears repeating - the way this new Outrun plays at 60fps is so smooth and the 3D feature is a nice bonus - IMO totally worth buying again even if you have copies of the game on multiple platforms...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I picked up Fantasy Zone 3D a couple of weeks ago, I finally 1cc'd the other night. Loop 2 has ZERO shops, better be a baller at this one. I also bought Outrun 3D. Wow, the 3D is really nice on this one and have been having a blast playing. Maybe it's me but the depth looks different on this one, maybe it's the speed it's blasting by at but the depth of field seems a lot better on this one than other games I've tried.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about After Burner II. How do you guys feel about it?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It's been said a million times already, but it bears repeating - the way this new Outrun plays at 60fps is so smooth and the 3D feature is a nice bonus - IMO totally worth buying again even if you have copies of the game on multiple platforms...

I have an OutRun arcade machine and I still bought the 3DS version... So... Yeah.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions about After Burner II. How do you guys feel about it?
I really love the game, but I have to play with 3d off as I'm wiggling system too much to stay in the sweet spot. The conversion is perfect, but as with most AB home ports the controls take some getting used to.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm gonna get it then. No control set up is ever gonna get it right without the proper hardware but I can adjust. Btw, I felt the Sega Ages Saturn port was excellent with the mission stick, the throttle could have been placed elsewhere but it still kicks lots of ass.

The Yu Suzuki Works port was great with the panther stick. I play the MAME rom with a Jaguar Hotas, overkill I know but I need that feel of total control. If this 3ds Port supports the right side analogue as a throttle we might be unto something special here.