3 Count Bout how do you rate this one?

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
3 count bout is a fun game, the only drawback is the grapple and hitting the buttons fast.
The key is to hit the opoment a few times before you grapple him then you win thouse things more easy.
The most easiest tactic to win this game with 1 credit only is to lure the opoment to the corner, get on the ropes and drop from the ropes at him.
Does not matter if he stands or not. Actually its more easy if you have him lying on the floor, get on the ropes, wait that he start to stand up and hit drop.
That way you will drain his energy to 0 and you can do the finishing move.
Sometimes you might miss him with the rope drop but usually you can beat any other wrestler with that.
The red dragon is good for that tactic.
Actually im not sure if you get an extra ending when you beat the game with 1 credit only. I know some other games have some small extra stuff then.
But its to long ago since i played it to remember. I know when you beat the game all wrestlers drop on your char but he manage to throw em all at once away. Makes a nice ending picture.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
This game had so much potential. I remember seeing it in a gaming magazine and it looks so awesome. Huge characters and a lot of action. It looked like a wrestling version of Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, and World Heroes. But when I played it in the arcade, it was so painfully frustrating. The CPU makes this game unplayable and not fun. If there was only a way to control the CPU difficulty some more, it would of been a really cool game.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
A game with more "minty" copies than those that aren't.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Probably the shittiest game on the neo. And its way too hard. I would rather play warlocks of fate.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I had such high hopes for this game with a pal of mine being a big Wrestling fan - we were horribly disappointed, it is nothing but a button mashfest and even then you have NO chance vs the cpu in locks. Gladly we tried it on an Emu beforehand

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I think the best wrestling fighting game has to be Saturday Night Slam Masters on the SNES/Arcade. Aggresors of Dark Combat did not have enough characters to choose from. It could of been really great if they invested more time in creating a roster like in World Heroes Jet.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I think the best wrestling fighting game has to be Saturday Night Slam Masters on the SNES/Arcade. Aggresors of Dark Combat did not have enough characters to choose from. It could of been really great if they invested more time in creating a roster like in World Heroes Jet.

What about WCW/NWO Revenge, and No Mercy? I'm not even a wrestling fan, but those games still hold up. But slam masters is great too. Spent a lot of time with that when I was young.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
What about WCW/NWO Revenge, and No Mercy? I'm not even a wrestling fan, but those games still hold up. But slam masters is great too. Spent a lot of time with that when I was young.

Definitely greedostick, the wrestling games on the the N64 are still a blast to play today. I picked Saturday Slam Masters because I thought that is the closest to 3 Count Bout which is more of a fantasy fighting game(with unrealistic moves like fireballs...ect.)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A game like Slam Masters is essentially versus Final Fight (or a beat 'em up boss rush?) that happens to have a wrestling theme.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to AKI or Human's top offerings.

I like wrestling, but it's very rare to find me playing a wrestling game.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hahaha.

So I thought about trying 3 Count Bout with autofire.

I 1cc'd it on my first go. I think I lost a total of maybe 4 grapples?

For all you "I want to love this game but I can't" people out there, use autofire. The death match gimmicks are cool too.

AUTOFIRE SUPLEX.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
This game has obviously to be played with a Hori !

The music and presentation kicks ass.
It just lacks some cooler char designs.
Only Gandara and Master Barnes are really cool.
I couldn't care less for Big bombardier and the other fat ones.

The game starts to be frustrating when you realized your stick is gonna die in ... 3 ... COUNT ... BOUT !

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This game has obviously to be played with a Hori !

Definitely. I have a Hori II, but I don't own the game. I've never liked it..

The run was done in MAME, but I'll tell you..if you play this game on a Hori II you won't take any years off of it's life, that's for sure.

There's very little need to wiggle the stick. You are guarenteed to win every grapple as long as you hit A first and hold it.

I guess you could say "Ughhh it's only playable with autofire? Still proves it's a bad game". I don't know though.
I've looked at the Gamest/Arcadia Records and out of the "15 player's" who counter stopped the game, there's no notation of whether or not auto-fire was used unlike most of the scores listed.

http://stormoid.com/gamest/f.html

So either way, you can't maintain that it's unplayable if the game can be counterstoped sans autofire.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
for me this is only fun to bust out when the friends are over and play some versus matches. the computers are way too hard and this is one of the most brutally difficult games i ever played.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I had it and sold to a friend years ago. Borning game. CPU was overpowered as hell.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
As many have said this game gets brutally hard quickly!

Not a bad play with a bunch of friends though, especially watching them mash the buttons.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Bit of an update to this then.

Played it last night using my HRAP with all the Turbo functions set to max. I fared 200% better than I ever have done before. I have a Unibios, so I set it to infinite credits. I definitely used more than 4 credits, but I managed to get through the game, right to the end credits. Turns out I was using, what the game seems to consider, that last boss (Master Barnes). I chose him because of his Robert Garcia esque kick special I saw him do on an attract demo. Maybe that helped too?

Before this, I'd always struggled to progress beyond the 3rd or 4th match.

I will say though that the CPU still pulls off plenty of bullshit to mouth off at your TV about. One of which is whittling your opponent down to ZERO health, pinning them, and them kicking out. Not once, but several times, quite often to have that last 'illegitimate' kick out spell your demise as they rush you down and then pin YOU with your zero health. No 2nd chances for you, and believe me, I've tried!!

And, as you've suggested, although you win the majority of grapples (to be fair) there are still quite a few WTF moments when they overcome your grapples several times in a row. Bearing in mind that I am effectively 'cheating' using Johnny Five levels of turbo input.

Overall, it was definitely more enjoyable. Wouldn't touch it without provisions for Turbo settings though...

For those who missed the 1st page; yes.

Yes to autofire for this game...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
For those who missed the 1st page; yes.

Yes to autofire for this game...

I saw this, but you've conveyed here that the AI is still a bastard to deal with.

I used Terry Rogers (who I'm assuming has less going for him than Barnes) and cleared the game with 100% grapples on one credit.

This game is a sheep in lions clothing, and the use of autofire isn't necessarily cheating in 2014, game depending of course.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
...hmmmm...autofire...exactly what this games needs for me to dig it out again. I had previously been able to get to the 4th match before my fingers got too tired and slow:/ ...still...I had more fun with this game that I did with The Super Spy...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I saw this, but you've conveyed here that the AI is still a bastard to deal with.

I used Terry Rogers (who I'm assuming has less going for him than Barnes) and cleared the game with 100% grapples on one credit.

Clearly, I'm just not as good as you at this game. Or any game for that matter. And, no... I'm not actually being sarcastic.

I just play games for casual enjoyment. I'm decent but not spectacular at them.

You tend to go the extra mile with your gaming prowess, which I commend. This attitude will reflect across all your gaming interactions. Thus, there will be games others consider difficult that you consider a cinch etc, etc.

Even with auto-on, presuming my timing was slightly off on-grapple, the computer would (in essence) still be a dick, even when the player is (essentially) cheating; not going down on repeated knock-downs on zero health and out-grappling when set to the highest fire-rate...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Clearly, I'm just not as good as you at this game. Or any game for that matter. And, no... I'm not actually being sarcastic.

I just play games for casual enjoyment. I'm decent but not spectacular at them.

You tend to go the extra mile with your gaming prowess, which I commend. This attitude will reflect across all your gaming interactions. Thus, there will be games others consider difficult that you consider a cinch etc, etc.

Even with auto-on, presuming my timing was slightly off on-grapple, the computer would (in essence) still be a dick, even when the player is (essentially) cheating; not going down on repeated knock-downs on zero health and out-grappling when set to the highest fire-rate...

I appreciate the kind words, but this isn't a case of a 7ft basketball player telling someone who's 5'10 "Yo dunking is mad easy".

I'm far from a natural and consider myself scrubby overall.

For me, the difficulty is 3 Count Bout is largely an illusion when autofire comes into play.

Terry Rogers autofire. When a grapple is engaged hit A and hold A instantly. Once the grapple is won and hold :downf: or :downb: and hit A (make sure not to hold it here or you will get a 100 hand slap). The move will be a pile driver. When your opponent is down stay close to the opponent's sprite so when they get up a grapple will be reengaged instantly. Repeat.

3 Count Bout becoming an easy game is a matter of approach, not skill. So maybe I'm being a little adamant about it's "new found" easiness because I believe it's a game anyone can tackle with the appropriate plan in place.

In the past I would try to play 3CB like it was Slam Masters. I don't think I've ever beaten the first stage. I understand the monstrous rep it gets. This game is an extreme case where you can go from zero to hero with minimal effort.

Last edited: