1944 and 19XX - Capcom's best CPS 2 military shmups

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I don't think either game gets the credit it deserves. Seems like all conversations about shmups on the CPS 2 start and end with Progear

I wouldn’t go that far, but there are some stellar shooters on cps2 and it’s some stiff competition to hold up against Progear, Mars Matrix, and Gigawing.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I wouldn’t go that far, but there are some stellar shooters on cps2 and it’s some stiff competition to hold up against Progear, Mars Matrix, and Gigawing.

For some reason I feel like those games are more closely associated with Dreamcast vs CPS 2. I think a lot of people only came across these games on consoles.

I do have Mars Matrix coming up though :)

Danyvoid

n00b
I have tried so hard for me to like this games, but I can't find them that attractive to me, when I go for shooters I kinda wanna see more Sci-fi or more futuristic ships.
Don't get me wrong they are super fun, and the bosses (specially of 19xx) are super cool designs, but shooting military ships not my hype

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Any thoughts on 1943 Kai?

I’ve only ever played it on the PC Engine, but it was a fun time. Has been years since I picked it up and played though. It’s stashed in my closet with the rest of my PC Engine stuff (I’m running out of space lol)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have tried so hard for me to like this games, but I can't find them that attractive to me, when I go for shooters I kinda wanna see more Sci-fi or more futuristic ships.
Don't get me wrong they are super fun, and the bosses (specially of 19xx) are super cool designs, but shooting military ships not my hype

Interesting. There def is a separation between “sci fi” and “militaristic” shmups for sure. Genre has never really put me off a game but I get where you are coming from.

I guess “cute em up” is its own thing too, so maybe more like three separate genres of shmups.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Interesting. There def is a separation between “sci fi” and “militaristic” shmups for sure. Genre has never really put me off a game but I get where you are coming from.

I guess “cute em up” is its own thing too, so maybe more like three separate genres of shmups.

Tell me more about this "separation" you're talking about?

Sorry, but just because there is a variety of aesthetic themes in a genre, doesn't mean the games actually belong to separate genres.

You're just talking arbitrary BS

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Tell me more about this "separation" you're talking about?

Sorry, but just because there is a variety of aesthetic themes in a genre, doesn't mean the games actually belong to separate genres.

You're just talking arbitrary BS

Lol you just love everything I write dont you?

Genres are themes. Sci fi is different than military. It’s like a movie, they have different themes. Same with shmups. Sure they are all shmups, but they fall into different thematic genres. Space / sci fi, military, cute em up, etc etc.

It doesn’t change much of the gameplay, it at all, but it certainly effects things like the visual look, soundtrack, etc

Makes perfect sense to me

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Lol you just love everything I write dont you?

Genres are themes. Sci fi is different than military. It’s like a movie, they have different themes. Same with shmups. Sure they are all shmups, but they fall into different thematic genres. Space / sci fi, military, cute em up, etc etc.

It doesn’t change much of the gameplay, it at all, but it certainly effects things like the visual look, soundtrack, etc

Makes perfect sense to me

The more you talk about these games, the more apparent it is to me that you should be actively educating yourself instead of trying to establish a role as an information resource/critic.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The more you talk about these games, the more apparent it is to me that you should be actively educating yourself instead of trying to establish a role as an information resource/critic.

Lol ok. Because R-Type and Sexy Parodius are the same thematically. And a bullet hell game is the same as Pulstar. Sorry I forgot all shmups are identical

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Lol ok. Because R-Type and Sexy Parodius are the same thematically. And a bullet hell game is the same as Pulstar. Sorry I forgot all shmups are identical

You're using superficialities/aesthetics and genre interchangeably in this post.

You're only proving my point further.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You're using superficialities/aesthetics and genre interchangeably in this post.

You're only proving my point further.

Lol whatever you think is fine with me at this point. Not like I’ll convince you otherwise. Just the charm of Neo-Geo.com sometimes haha. Part of why I enjoy it here anyway

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Lol whatever you think is fine with me at this point. Not like I’ll convince you otherwise. Just the charm of Neo-Geo.com sometimes haha. Part of why I enjoy it here anyway

What is there to "convince" me of? I'm telling you, you're using game genre and superficial theme/aesthetic/visual-gimmick interchangeably. These are not the same thing. A game's genre is defined by what it allows the player to do, not by it's coat of paint. It doesn't matter if it's wearing an army helmet, a space helmet, or a fucking cowboy hat. Then you're trying to tell me that I'm claiming a 1995 R-Type clone and "bullet hell" games are one in the same.

Yeah, laugh it off. It's one big joke, right? How many hours do you spend making video's on stuff you kinda-sorta-barely understand? You should be thanking me for the wake up call.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
What is there to "convince" me of? I'm telling you, you're using game genre and superficial theme/aesthetic/visual-gimmick interchangeably. These are not the same thing. A game's genre is defined by what it allows the player to do, not by it's coat of paint. It doesn't matter if it's wearing an army helmet, a space helmet, or a fucking cowboy hat. Then you're trying to tell me that I'm claiming a 1995 R-Type clone and "bullet hell" games are one in the same.

Yeah, laugh it off. It's one big joke, right? How many hours do you spend making video's on stuff you kinda-sorta-barely understand? You should be thanking me for the wake up call.

Man I do not know who pissed in your Cheerios. You don’t like what I do. Awesome. That’s totally your perogative. I’m not going to argue semantics of genre or theme or aesthetics. It’s not productive. Don’t know why you are so mad but I’m not here to fight people so no big deal

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Man I do not know who pissed in your Cheerios. You don’t like what I do. Awesome. That’s totally your perogative. I’m not going to argue semantics of genre or theme or aesthetics. It’s not productive. Don’t know why you are so mad but I’m not here to fight people so no big deal

What I've been discussing is outside of your wheelhouse. But it may prove productive to expand that wheelhouse a little, since you know, you seem really into teaching people stuff about shooting games. It's good to question your knowledge base every once in awhile. It's hard to do sometimes, but it's like working out muscle, you know? Saying "no u mad", bringing up urinating in breakfast cereal and dismissing other perspectives is like layin' on the couch.

Oh and expressing an opinion, sharing, or refuting information in a public discussion is not a product of being "mad", nor is it anything personal.

Again, good luck

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
ASID, you wouldn't like my YT series on how to survive in the hood.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Pulstar would not be considered "danmaku". What ASID is saying is that 19XX is different than say DoDonPachi. You are shooting the same enemies but the patterns are vastly different and only late game does 19XX actually start to resemble danmaku patterns. Raiden and Ketsui are aesthetically but the scoring, patterns, etc are very much different.

In the shmup genre there aren't really many breakdowns, a cute em up isn't a genre but a layman's terms of the "graphic style"that it uses. Are Progear and R-type the same? Absolutely not, horizontal shooters yes, but the meat and potatoes? Vastly different.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Pulstar would not be considered "danmaku". What ASID is saying is that 19XX is different than say DoDonPachi. You are shooting the same enemies but the patterns are vastly different and only late game does 19XX actually start to resemble danmaku patterns. Raiden and Ketsui are aesthetically but the scoring, patterns, etc are very much different.

In the shmup genre there aren't really many breakdowns, a cute em up isn't a genre but a layman's terms of the "graphic style"that it uses. Are Progear and R-type the same? Absolutely not, horizontal shooters yes, but the meat and potatoes? Vastly different.

I think it depends on the "language" you use, and since I spent the majority of time teaching visual arts (film), my brain def gravitates towards visuals and theme as a delineating line. When someone mentioned enjoying more sci fi vs militaristic shmups, I was entertaining the idea of "setting" being something that can increase / decrease enjoyment. Kind of like suspense vs horror in film ; both have a similar thread thematically yet there are a ton of people who don't like horror films (even psychological ones that don't utilize jump scares) where a thriller, with the same tension, they may love.

So I was more focusing on that aspect :) and as I said, visual arts person here, so my brain def keys into those differences vs patterns / etc. I guess you could strike "genre" and write in "thematic genre" when you talk about something like Parodius vs Gradius. Play styles are very similar, yet the "feel" of the game, at least from a visual standpoint, can put someone on or off the game itself.

Fun thoughts though, mechanics vs thematic content

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Why specifically PCE?

What’s the difference from the Arcade version of Kai?

YMO

n00b
Why specifically PCE?

What’s the difference from the Arcade version of Kai?

Scaled down from the arcade, not running TATE. However, it did made the game less difficult than the arcade version and I believe there's a special mode that's only on the PCE. Arcade version felt more like a 80s STG with the sound effects, while the PCE game felt more early 90s with better sounded SFX and BGM. Give it a shot, I always liked it.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Naw, I’ll stick to my arcade version. I’m not afraid of difficulty or Tate. Lol