1944 and 19XX - Capcom's best CPS 2 military shmups

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I guess Progear might count as military? But I am saying it doesnt.

I still need to get a rotatable monitor for TATE games vs turning my PVM on its side, but these two games are absolutely great and it's weird they never got ported. Luckily I was able to play 1944 at Tony's Pizza in Brooklyn (ate there way too much) back in the early 2000's, but 19XX is something I've only recently gotten into.

I think I still prefer 1944 but that might be a nostalgia thing

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Fantastic video, makes me want to fire them up for a couple of runs

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
1944 is trash. 19XX is heads above better.

I think it's because I've played a shit ton of 1944 but only started 19XX when I got my Darksoft multi.

I need to put more time into it but I always have to dismantle my PVM setup (space issues, stupid living in cities) when I am done with 19XX, so I play for an hour then put it away

I can stash my supergun and A/B combo in my tv stand and horizontal games work perfect on my 4K. Unfortunately my tv doesn't have a image rotation mode so anything TATE is sideways.

I DO NOT KNOW WHY the framemeister never incorporated image rotation as an option. Biggest oversight in my opinion

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Are you seriously posting the same topic on every arcade related forum? So far I’ve seen this same post on shmups and a-p, what other forums are you copying and pasting this to? What’s your angle here? Game promotion, CPS2 Multi promotion...post count fishing?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Are you seriously posting the same topic on every arcade related forum? So far I’ve seen this same post on shmups and a-p, what other forums are you copying and pasting this to? What’s your angle here? Game promotion, CPS2 Multi promotion...post count fishing?

Just sharing it with people? I have been on all these forums posting for awhile. I just enjoy making the videos and sending them out in the world to chat about the games. Since it's not even a monetized channel it's really not bringing in anything other than the enjoyment of making and sharing them

Additionally I put a ton of tutorials up. Everything from wiring to converting boards and controllers, etc etc. I am a college professor / filmmaker for a living, so I enjoy sharing knowledge, repairing stuff, and making videos

But I am certainly not promoting anyone's products or trying to increase my post could. Hell I've been on here for over a decade. This is all hardware I've got in my collection. Some of it for a long time, and some of it I've fixed / coded to get working

Like my Beast Busters Second Nightmare series ; Turfmasta had a great one sheet pinout, and I wanted to convert my board and show everyone visually what it takes to make it work.

Or my M2 repair and coding videos. Showing people how I got a long lost beta working on original hardware with coding and creating a disc image file from a 20+ year old SDK. That's preservation + once it's fully done it can be released to the community.

And on Nov 8 I am releasing a beta 3DO game that's never been dumped, on my birthday, for free. Cost me $200 to buy it, and I am just going to share it.

Long story short ; I post this because I enjoy doing it, and sharing whatever knowledge / techniques / info I've learned along the way. So it's 110% benevolent. Plus I post my collection to IG daily. Just enjoy it I guess?

Edit : also I, for free, help people get their broken M2 arcade boards back up and running

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
or get YouTube rich!?!? I'll be the next PewDiePie? Or the "Charley bit my finger" people?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That’s why YouTube is great. You totally don’t have to watch what you don’t want to lol

Unfortunately this doesn't apply to all of the threads popping up here.

Seriously, can I suggest just making one thread for all of your videos?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Considering they all seem to occupy different topics (stuff on the hyper, stuff on shmups) I don’t see how that’s feasible? But I’ll keep it in mind for non Neo related arcade hardware, and do it for categories that all slot under one heading (like specific consoles all having shared links in one topic)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
But for whatever rest of what I have to post on the CPS 2 I’ll just leave it in arcade under one post

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

TopTierArcade tried that and it didn't work out too well :keke:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
To quote the late Tupac

"My 19-four-four make sure none y'all kids don't grow bored no more"

You have to appreciate 1944 for what it is which is more of a light hearted modern spin on the franchise. 19XX is a suicide mission much like Progear, both having the shit has hit the fan introduction to drive home how fucked you are right out the gate. Game play wise I prefer 1944, music and vibe wise I prefer 19XX.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
To quote the late Tupac

"My 19-four-four make sure none y'all kids don't grow bored no more"

You have to appreciate 1944 for what it is which is more of a light hearted modern spin on the franchise. 19XX is a suicide mission much like Progear, both having the shit has hit the fan introduction to drive home how fucked you are right out the gate. Game play wise I prefer 1944, music and vibe wise I prefer 19XX.

I get where you are coming from. 19XX presentation and music wise is amazing. Especially the transitions. Yet 1944 gameplay is super enjoyable.

Someone should just rom hack them together. One level on each game, alternating. Solves everything

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
19XX doesnt get the credit it deserves.

I like Loopmaster a lot (got a conversion of it), but 19XX murders it imho.

My fav Capcom tate shooter.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
19XX doesnt get the credit it deserves.

I like Loopmaster a lot (got a conversion of it), but 29XX murders it imho.

My fav Capcom tate shooter.

I don't think either game gets the credit it deserves. Seems like all conversations about shmups on the CPS 2 start and end with Progear