15khz Mame VS MVBS

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I am also seriously thinking of going down this path. I just simply don't play the games I buy, no point spending ridiculous amounts of money on game boards just because they're 'original' oh dear. I've seen some videos on the MAME front and it looks quite good really. Even if I could notice anything it would be small and for only a couple hundred bucks I can play them all pretty much. I think I can look the other way on small shit.

I also look at it this way, these game boards are also a risk to own if anything were to be stolen, lost in fire, flood etc. That's at the extreme end sure but still I'm at a stage where I've gotten rid of my boxes of games. I just sold s SFZ2 CPS2 board and have money sitting in paypal ready for a jpac and some dell/Lenovo core2duo machine.
Give me a shout if you do plan on going down this route as I may be able to help you out regarding the front end/content etc
Dave

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Talking about Konamy brawlers as if they're an opus or something, lol. IMHO Konami brawlers as in the top ones, they're just eye candy, I'm not talking about the lesser known good ones like MMF and what have you.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Also, while we're in here, I might as well plug my MAME hack that lets you play the arcade version of Final Fight with the redbook audio from the Sega CD version. It's one of my favorite things...can't go back to the arcade music after this.

This is so awesome, damn you raspberry pi mame box for not working with it.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
What's a very good general purpose stick for Mame? I'm assuming the fight sticks are primarily built for just that and may not be as good across other genres as some other options out there.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
What's a very good general purpose stick for Mame? I'm assuming the fight sticks are primarily built for just that and may not be as good across other genres as some other options out there.

I do not think a certain stick pertains to mame, but rather an arcade game genre.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Also, while we're in here, I might as well plug my MAME hack that lets you play the arcade version of Final Fight with the redbook audio from the Sega CD version. It's one of my favorite things...can't go back to the arcade music after this.

OMFG this is awesome, I just watched it and now my life is ruined :(...

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist

All I can tell you is that Happ/IL Eurostick joysticks + Magical Drop 3 = carpal tunnel. Sanwa sticks are SO much easier on your hands in that game.

Even though, being American, I have nostalgia and fondness for Happ/IL joysticks, it's hard to deny that Sanwa sticks are simply better made.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
No way, if you wanna play magical drop at top speed, you're gonna need the stronger spring. Happ IL Supers are the best for this, competition stick has more travel. I can play MD3 on sanwa or anything else ok but on a Super I can blaze through the combos.

jugu

New Challenger

Amazing! I had dreamed about this very thing.

mourix

n00b
When you just want to play many games, a MAME setup is totally fine for most cases. The big setback of course is the complexity of the whole hardware. You need quite some hardware and software to get everything fully up and running, and even then it's just never really done.

There's just something about hitting the power switch and having the arcade system immediately boot up. But maybe I'm just too old fashioned...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're right, I completely agree with the sentiment of just power on and go, the same could be said about today's systems, it's a hassle to get started, even the handheld ones...I guess the best way is to have MAME and just have your most absolutely loved PCBs, that's what I do although I should part with a few PCBs that aren't getting played as much as they should.

bulbousbeard

It was an enormous amount of work for me to get a MAME cabinet going I was happy with. I had to write my own frontend even. It was worth it, though. It's just turn on and go now. Totally seamless.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
You need to run with ASIO sound. Normal MAME and normal GroovyMAME do have noticeable audio latency greater than what you'd experience with real hardware.

Oooh, this is something I need to look into. I tried a groovymame setup in my cab before, but the sound delay really bugged me.

I think I used a Pentium G2120 (3.1ghz, Ivy Bridge generation). Do you think that has the power to handle ASIO audio and framedelay 9?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Give me a shout if you do plan on going down this route as I may be able to help you out regarding the front end/content etc
Dave

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Well if you can mention anything simpler to set up other than mGalaxy which I managed to get working in a few minutes. I've tried hyperspin, MALA and advanceMENU which were all a pain in the ass. I was so frustrated with MALA not seeing my MAME roms that I resorted to FBA which it could see the roms for (dunno why...all the dir's were right for MAME) but FBA is a piece of fucking shit in comparison to MAME.

only thing I don't know is if mGalaxy's GUI is going to work in 15khz.

bulbousbeard

Oooh, this is something I need to look into. I tried a groovymame setup in my cab before, but the sound delay really bugged me.

I think I used a Pentium G2120 (3.1ghz, Ivy Bridge generation). Do you think that has the power to handle ASIO audio and framedelay 9?

It depends on the game, but I doubt it. The Neo Geo driver, for example, is pretty light weight, and doesn't take that much CPU. Other drivers, though, like Cave SH-3 (Deathsmiles) can't even get full speed with framedelay 9 on a 4ghz i7 CPU, so it really varies. We need faster CPUs. :(

bulbousbeard

Well if you can mention anything simpler to set up other than mGalaxy

This is the frontend I made, and I think it's easier to use than any of the other ones I've tried. It also works at 320x240 all the way through 3840x2160 and beyond. It even supports multiple monitors, TATE, 21:9, and pretty much any video configuration you can think of.

Big Blue frontend

Instead of trying to read folders and add thousands of games to list, mine just lets you point directly to programs or drag and drop games into lists. You can mix and match different programs in single lists trivially, too, so a single list can run MAME, a Dreamcast emulator, and a PC game with no nonsense, scripts, or workarounds. I wish more frontends would take this approach to adding games, because ultimately, you don't want to group games by emulator or system. You want to group them by genre or some other logical grouping.

Also, MAME has a built-in frontend now as of version 0.171 as MEWUI was integrated into baseline MAME. If you only run MAME and no other programs, it might be the simplest thing for people going forward.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Does anyone remember a time when just talking about romz... mame... boots... etc etc..

...Would get you into trouble here?

xROTx

PS. @Justfacts.com...

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
It depends on the game, but I doubt it. The Neo Geo driver, for example, is pretty light weight, and doesn't take that much CPU. Other drivers, though, like Cave SH-3 (Deathsmiles) can't even get full speed with framedelay 9 on a 4ghz i7 CPU, so it really varies. We need faster CPUs. :(

this is pretty much the reason I just put a 360 in a cab instead tbh.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Does anyone remember a time when just talking about romz... mame... boots... etc etc..

xROTx

PS. @Justfacts.com...

I wish I had come here early enough to see that (and really cheap MVS carts :D ) instead of wasting my time and money at the head-fi forums.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

The emulation isn't correct on these games yet...it even says so when you start the ROM. You don't need a faster CPU, you just need to wait for a new version of mame. This is the same shit they used to say back in the day about Raiden Fighters.

bulbousbeard

xROTx

PS. @Justfacts.com...

It's good that people are finally waking up to the actual fact: emulation is good enough for most scenarios and ridiculously more practical.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wish I had come here early enough to see that (and really cheap MVS carts :D ) instead of wasting my time and money at the head-fi forums.

Oh yes, definitely not something you'd start a thread over.

Instead of trying to read folders and add thousands of games to list, mine just lets you point directly to programs or drag and drop games into lists. You can mix and match different programs in single lists trivially, too, so a single list can run MAME, a Dreamcast emulator, and a PC game with no nonsense, scripts, or workarounds. I wish more frontends would take this approach to adding games, because ultimately, you don't want to group games by emulator or system. You want to group them by genre or some other logical grouping.

I am at the extreme end of the spectrum. My games list may never exceed 50 or for that matter be outside of MAME. However I see the value in simpler frontends like this for huge lists and multiple emulators.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

The emulation isn't correct on these games yet...it even says so when you start the ROM. You don't need a faster CPU, you just need to wait for a new version of mame. This is the same shit they used to say back in the day about Raiden Fighters.

The only problem with the Cave SH3 driver is that the games don't slow down in the same way they do on real boards. Although they don't slow down the same as they do on real boards in the Xbox or Steam ports, either.

The quality of emulation has no intrinsic relationship to the speed it runs at. The Moon Patrol driver is slower than the Neo Geo driver. The Cave SH3 driver already has a ton of idle skipping and other hacks in it to get it to run as fast as it's running now. It'll require even more CPU once it's emulated correctly. We do need faster CPUs. Those games will not magically run faster later on, and framdelay 9 significantly increases the demands on the CPU.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
OMFG this is awesome, I just watched it and now my life is ruined :(...

I always dreamed about having my CPS1 singing this game like that.
I'm kinda purist, but this is the wonders of emulation that can't be beaten!