Car Enthusiast Thread

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
IMG_8200.jpeg

New purchase, I’ve put a deposit down and picking it up in a week (unless it’s a complete dog in person). Letting go of the Hyundai Coupe for a Lexus SC 430. This one is a ‘facelift’ model which means slightly better handling than the launch model, newer style of headlights and rear lights, a 6 speed gearbox instead of 5, and Bluetooth for Spotify. It does still have a tape drive so that’s good for goobing with old mix tapes.

Because this car is registered in late 2005 the car tax is £395 per year, but if it was registered in late March 2006 onwards it would be £695 per year - which is about 10% of the value of the car. Fuck you government. There’s fairly few facelift models that are in the lower tax category so I‘m glad to find one.

@voltronbadass

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it's rough - i'm into 80s/90s JDM stuff. 240sx/ae86 bare shells are going for like $2500. clapped miatas are like $5k. miata hardtops alone are like $1500.

from my recent search looking for manual daily drivers - a decent shape 2017 GTI with 80k miles was still like $17k. i ended up going with a 5000 mile 22 corolla hatch as it was the last year they made it with a stick. was still $26k which is bananas.

but even as far as average dailies, the truck/SUV market has blown up so much in the states that the used market for, well anything else is really hot. there's not really a lot of decent older cars left in new england due to rust/rot as well. don't want to sound like a boomer but you used to see great, drivable cars on people's front lawns for like a grand all day long 10-15 years ago. now that's genuinely almost what you'll get in scrap value for anything with usable parts

i bought a 2012 top trim passat with the 3.6 v6 with 80k miles for like 8 grand in 2018 as an example. there's a 2012 middle trim level passat with the base engine with 100k miles still selling for $7k nearby today. 2007 rav4 with 110k miles is $9k.

if you're not clearing like $60k+ a year you're going to have to gamble a lot on FB marketplace on like 90s civics with 200k. if you're not able to work on your own car (and have the space to do so where you live) i'm not really sure how people are affording cars and rent around here. i drive an 86 ae86 corolla project car for fun when it's warm out. i'm not bill gates, but i'm decently well off. and even i genuinely considered just saying fuck it and driving a 40 year old car year round because of how expensive things are.
Thanks homie for writing this. Wish you good health.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Restoring another Volkswagen.
1980 Scirocco.
Sick.

Is that your own garage? I'm well jelly if it is. Mine has space for a car and a work bench and that's it. And you need to drive the car out the garage to actually use the work bench...

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Sick.

Is that your own garage? I'm well jelly if it is. Mine has space for a car and a work bench and that's it. And you need to drive the car out the garage to actually use the work bench...
This is the outside shop, it's a 90 foot long green house with a concrete floor. It also has a pit, and a scissor lift. It gets cold in the winter, I heat it with a Kerosene heater, but in the summer... It gets really fucking hot.

My garage is a little nicer to work in, I just don't want to do bodywork in here and create a giant mess.
The garage has a Minisplit with heat and AC.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 8

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
And you've got a 914 in there? That's poops on my 924 :LOL:

At least my 924 has (useless) back seats...