Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Really tons to look through by Capcom, Konami, Namco and Sega, alone.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Shooting games. So it was back then too, and I’ve played all of the shmups. I played all or most of the fighting games too. Played both of the Castlevania games also. It seems like there’s a lot of cool games in other genres too though.

I like racing games too, arcade and sim. I’ve noted the racing recs here. I didn’t play Gran Turismo in earnest until 5 though. Does 4 still hold up?

Any RPGs worth checking out? I played FFX back then and that game sucks bad.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Shooting games. So it was back then too, and I’ve played all of the shmups. I played all or most of the fighting games too. Played both of the Castlevania games also. It seems like there’s a lot of cool games in other genres too though.

I like racing games too, arcade and sim. I’ve noted the racing recs here. I didn’t play Gran Turismo in earnest until 5 though. Does 4 still hold up?

Any RPGs worth checking out? I played FFX back then and that game sucks bad.
If you liked the Castlevania games, check out the Devil May Cry trilogy (the second one is kinda meh though).

Gran Turismo 4 is cool but Gran Turismo 3 is where the real fun is at.

There's like a billion RPGs on PS2, I haven't played enough of them to know which ones are the best but I remember Dragon Quest VIII being impressive at the time. Persona 4 too. Then there's great stuff like Odin Sphere.

You might also want to look into both the Metal Gear and Yakuza games if you haven't played those yet.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
@Ajax I am stacking up PS2 as well 🤘 both Contra games are also great.

RPG picks: Atelier Iris and Ar Tonelico series.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Any PS2 recommendations? I had a PS2, I was shell shocked from the previous generation and feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff back then.

classic, but always fun to play :
Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex
Tomb Raider Underworld
Lara Croft Tomb Raider Anniversary

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

terrible form factor - but the ability to rotate the screen is pretty dope

Ajax

15 Year Member
It’s a prototype. I would be surprised if a number of things didn’t change before it was released.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Any PS2 recommendations? I had a PS2, I was shell shocked from the previous generation and feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff back then.
Add Skygunner and Klonoa 2 Lunatea's Veil to your list. If you never got around to Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, they are both must plays as well, and pretty short.

Skygunner is a really fun 3D shooter with a French Anime theme. Doesn't sound good when I explain it like that, but it's a really solid game.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
If you need select one :
Asus ROG Ally or AYN Odin2 (in white)

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 vs AMD Ryzen Z1 [↗]
Android vs Windows

:unsure:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
If you need select one :
Asus ROG Ally or AYN Odin2 (in white)

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 vs AMD Ryzen Z1 [↗]
Android vs Windows

:unsure:

At least with a Win handheld you can do emulation plus some Steam games. Odin is gonna' be only emulation and Android games.

Also, looks like I should've been building up a directory of GC for the RP4 Pro, seems to be more equipped than PS2.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I've actually been pondering this very same question. It sounds like there's a design flaw with the Ally though - Basically, it will cook your SD card, which will, of course, cause it to no longer work. This is a hardware issue, so there's no fix for it, short of a recall and redesign, which ain't happening at this point. The regular Ally (Z1) is only $399 at Best Buy, which is tempting to me, since I have never used an SD card in my Steam Deck anyway.

The Odin 2 seems cool, but it sounds like the hardware has weird input lag and Ayn isn't interested in addressing it. This is a deal breaker for me, so I've decided to pass on the Odin 2.

So yeah, I guess I would go with the Ally if I had to pick one, but I think I'm going to sit this round out.

Edit: All that said, I got this Beelink mini PC near the end of last year and I discovered yesterday that it can run PS2 at something absurd like 4x native res, which is simply incredible to me. I'm having a lot more fun messing with that than any handheld for right now.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Edit: All that said, I got this Beelink mini PC near the end of last year and I discovered yesterday that it can run PS2 at something absurd like 4x native res, which is simply incredible to me. I'm having a lot more fun messing with that than any handheld for right now.

Oh man, I do NOT need another device to tinker with - this is tempting

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
and MSI Claw coming soon.
100% Intel hardware (CPU / GPU), but probably for higher price.