Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm ready for those Retroid 4 reviews to start coming in this weekend.

Review models were sent out last week

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I forgot that I preordered one until yesterday and I'm excited about it again now. Can't wait to hear impressions from Russ.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I forgot that I preordered one until yesterday and I'm excited about it again now. Can't wait to hear impressions from Russ.

Yes, same. Started stacking up a folder of PSP and PS2 in prep

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
PSP, good idea. I'm waiting to see emulation quality. It might be interesting

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
PSP, good idea. I'm waiting to see emulation quality. It might be interesting
The RP3+ let's me play most PSP games at 2-3X, so the 4 is gonna melt any PSP I throw at it. Even the 3+ handles a decent chunk of PS2 that I actually wanna play. So, I was totally comfortable with preordering the 4.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm expecting RP4 to emulate PS2 well. Also, I'm hoping to play Wind Waker on it. Hoping Retro Game Corps puts up an impressions vid in the next day or so.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I gave into my curiosity and got that powkiddy rgb30 and Ajax and Cory were right the dpad sucks and feels cheap. I got for $65 so can’t complain, but I wish they charged more and made it higher quality.

It’s a shame because other than that I like it quite a bit. Just perfect size for me and I do like that square screen a lot.

If another manufacturer comes out with a square screen handheld I’ll pick it up because it has a lot of potential.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
So I gave into my curiosity and got that powkiddy rgb30 and Ajax and Cory were right the dpad sucks and feels cheap. I got for $65 so can’t complain, but I wish they charged more and made it higher quality.

It’s a shame because other than that I like it quite a bit. Just perfect size for me and I do like that square screen a lot.

If another manufacturer comes out with a square screen handheld I’ll pick it up because it has a lot of potential.

There is one, called Unicorn or some shit. Looks like it could be a little more premium, same square screen. Where'd you find the RGB 30 for $65?

neo_mao

15 Year Member

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

I pretty much stick to Anbernic devices since they generally have pretty good dpads.

Reactions: SML

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It’s really impressive that we’re looking at fluid Switch emulation on a $200 smallish device now.

Ajax

15 Year Member
To be fair, Metroid Dread didn’t really look playable on Yuzu, from what I saw. I imagine less demanding Switch games will be totally fine though. It seemed like Mega Man 10 ran at 60fps locked. Maybe the M2 Shot Triggers games will all run really nicely.

Really looking forward to Retro Game Corps vid on this. Russ is the most reliable source for info on this stuff, from my experience. Looks like he’s planning on releasing a vid on Monday.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I started wondering WTF I was gonna' do with my RP3+ after the 4 comes in the mail...plus I have the Flip as well. The Flip is rad, but was redundant for me. I bought it drunk I imagine.

That said, I was bored and trying to figure out something to do with my Flip. So I decided to make it a dedicated RPG handheld. Loaded it up with just RPGs and fan translations exclusively. I've found myself picking it up to spend some time on the vast DS library of RPGs I never played. I get so hung up on these systems tinkering I sometimes forget to play some damn games.

So, if you have some of these emulator handhelds laying around with no real need - I suggest genre themes. I've seen some do that with the Anbernic Arc-D, since it's so naturally "SEGA"...but the Flip is really something for DS/3DS RPGs. The screen even being just ONE screen, is a far superior experience to me than real hardware. These emulators make the 3D bits look soooo much better.

That is all.

1704688437506.png

Ajax

15 Year Member
Woooo!

Edit:
His review wasn't as glowing as I expected it would be. Has anybody tried the Odin 2? My friend got one and he said that it had weird input lag on everything. It bothered him enough that he sold it. Russ more or less says that it's the king of the Android handhelds though.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

neo_mao

15 Year Member

I don't know how you guys keep up with these releases :p

Are you running JELOS in your RGB30, or did you switch to ARKOS?

That Retro Game Corp guy @Ajax mentioned has a setup guide for this and talks about switching the OS, but i dont think he goes into installing standalone emulators. The N64 emulator that came with this runs pretty bad, but supposedly if you install a standalone they are pretty good so I want to switch that out. Need to figure out how to do that.

Yes, I said N64. I want to play waverace, f zero, star fox and sin & punsihment on this thing. Come at me bros.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I don't know how you guys keep up with these releases :p

Are you running JELOS in your RGB30, or did you switch to ARKOS?

That Retro Game Corp guy @Ajax mentioned has a setup guide for this and talks about switching the OS, but i dont think he goes into installing standalone emulators. The N64 emulator that came with this runs pretty bad, but supposedly if you install a standalone they are pretty good so I want to switch that out. Need to figure out how to do that.

Yes, I said N64. I want to play waverace, f zero, star fox and sin & punsihment on this thing. Come at me bros.
I am running stock on my rgb 30, but I really only use it for GB/GBC/GG.

I accidentally keep up with this garbage due to following the manufacturers and peddlers on Twitter 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Woooo!

Edit:
His review wasn't as glowing as I expected it would be. Has anybody tried the Odin 2? My friend got one and he said that it had weird input lag on everything. It bothered him enough that he sold it. Russ more or less says that it's the king of the Android handhelds though.

I do know one guy with one - he has the maxxed out $$$ version and loves it. I'm seeing all kinds of mixed reviews and comments on the RP4 Pro, but honestly, none of it bugs me. I'm not a person who plays 2 hour+ sessions, so battery life isn't a concern. It looks to be exactly as I expected, my RP3+ with some more horsepower. I have a folder for my 512gb card ready to go as soon as it arrives, so I'll definitely post my thoughts as well.

I don't mind tweaking some games, I always prefer it work without tweaking...but it doesn't make me crazy. My only complaint with the RP3+ was some PSP games would hiccup or need their own profile blah blah and the 4 will just completely remove that need. That alone has me stoked. The increased compatibility with PS2/GC/Wii is just icing.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Any PS2 recommendations? I had a PS2, I was shell shocked from the previous generation and feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff back then.