8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
This controller must be a huge flop. Which really isn't that surprising.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This controller must be a huge flop. Which really isn't that surprising.
I'm not sure. Do other 8bitdo products go on sale? Maybe the original black controller is selling okay. My social media certainly lit up when this controller was announced and then released, but that's probably nothing to go by. It certainly seems like they must have manufactured enough.

Instead of clearing all their inventory it would be great if consumers had the option to easily buy these at retail for years to come. Hopefully they don't treat it as a one-time.production.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Maybe the original black controller is selling okay.
That would be my guess since it largely is avoiding these fire sales. The character ones must be really unpopular.

Maybe they thought the character ones would be more popular and made a ton of them? I have no doubt they would have been if they had just put more effort into the graphics.

I dunno how things like this work manufacturing wise. Maybe 8bitdo always planned for this to be a quick flash in the pan. Maybe the black one will be a long term product and the character ones will never come back.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm betting the KoF 97 character ones never come back once they are all gone.
Here's hoping they put the black ones on sale so I can get a second one.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I never liked many of the in-game portraits on KOF97 and I don't think that's the best showcase of SNK's art, some portraits just feel wrong. Why KOF97 specifically anyway?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
New analogue pocket update makes these compatible with the pocket dock

HellioN

20 Year Member
Looks like you can use your new NEO pad on PS1 and PS2 if you're using the 8bitdo BT adapter with current firmware update.
Read the log
Screenshot_20231208-105731.png
Hopefully the same happens for the NES/SNES and Mega Drive adapters too.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I ordered one during SAG holiday sales and am excited to try it out. I dont expect it to be as good as an OG controller, but its cool someone is showing these pads some interest / love.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Looks like you can use your new NEO pad on PS1 and PS2 if you're using the 8bitdo BT adapter with current firmware update.
Read the log
View attachment 70021
Hopefully the same happens for the NES/SNES and Mega Drive adapters too.
making the controller purposefully not work with their own adapters even though the controller supports both bt and 2.4g was the goobiest shit 8bitdo has ever done

HellioN

20 Year Member
making the controller purposefully not work with their own adapters even though the controller supports both bt and 2.4g was the goobiest shit 8bitdo has ever done
I'm willing to give a benefit of the doubt that that may have been a request from SNK for some dumb reason.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've been using this controller a lot with mame and I really don't like it. I can't do special moves or combos with it to save my life.

I remember feeling similar about the og controllers but it's been years since I've really used one.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I can barely play fighting games with controllers either. My OG controllers are like new. Would always prefer an arcade stick. Only sports games and platformers are fine with the OG controllers.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Metal Slug was rough too, with grenade on C. But that would be true of the originals too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been using this controller a lot with mame and I really don't like it. I can't do special moves or combos with it to save my life.

I remember feeling similar about the og controllers but it's been years since I've really used one.

I can do alright with Metal Slug or something on this thing but the huge deadzone just makes fighters a no go for me. I could do alright with the original pads, but the little NGPC stick was the real king of this type of design.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Metal Slug was rough too, with grenade on C. But that would be true of the originals too.
The clicky thumbsticks suck with run and guns. I ended up using PS2 pads for Metal Slug games. Wish I could use NES pads, with their less stupid D-pad 'cross' shape.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
How often are you guys playing metal slug a week hmm

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
How often are you guys playing metal slug a week hmm
Not much these days, but I did some 2-player MS1 to capture some 4K footage of it over the holidays.

To be honest, most of the time when I answer stuff like this on the forum, I'm answering based on experience a decade ago maybe. Hey, it's still relevant.

So anyway, my recommended controller for Metal Slug games is this:

1705509003987.png

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I can play slug just fine with any controller. Honestly what really fucks me up on shooters and platformers are sticks with short actuation but long ass throw like the LS-56. Let me ride the gate dammit

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Neo BT sold out everywhere, any other way to use this damn controller on the original hardware?

Also, anyway to swap out the 8bitdo joystick parts for the original neo geo CD controller? I don't have an original CD controller to try.

NeoSeeD

n00b
Neo BT sold out everywhere, any other way to use this damn controller on the original hardware?

Also, anyway to swap out the 8bitdo joystick parts for the original neo geo CD controller? I don't have an original CD controller to try.
Blueretro Adapter
Link 2

Picked up one of these when they were on pre-order and it works great. The injection molded exterior and the black color blend seamlessly with my CD console as compared to the 3D printed bright red Neo BT adapter that I picked up originally. Price is right and you can have a full wireless CD setup for about $55 total.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Blueretro Adapter
Link 2

Picked up one of these when they were on pre-order and it works great. The injection molded exterior and the black color blend seamlessly with my CD console as compared to the 3D printed bright red Neo BT adapter that I picked up originally. Price is right and you can have a full wireless CD setup for about $55 total.
That’s pretty slick, might have to snag a couple of these. No noticeable lag?