OLD films you like... but would be shunned by todays "Standards"....

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don’t think any of these corporations have any values other than their fervent devotion to the dollar, dollar bill, y’all.

Absolutely. All they're doing is an extreme, corporate level of CYA.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm always kind of surprised no one has gone after the Connery Bonds yet. Even before metoo, I've been expecting this to happen eventually for decades. Almost every single interaction he has with a female character in any of his movies would now be considered sexual assault. And in Goldfinger, he rapes a lesbian straight, for fuck's sake.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I'm always kind of surprised no one has gone after the Connery Bonds yet. Even before metoo, I've been expecting this to happen eventually for decades. Almost every single interaction he has with a female character in any of his movies would now be considered sexual assault. And in Goldfinger, he rapes a lesbian straight, for fuck's sake.

Well I hear bond gives his 007 designation to a women in the new bond film...

What about the movie “white chicks” by the Wayans brothers? Two black men wearing white make up and dressing up as women haha. Would that be not allowed or is that perfectly ok in today’s cultural climate....?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

giphy.gif

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The original Dragonball.

Tons of characters groping, peeping at, molesting and even slipping a roofie to Bulma. Master Roshii is a bonafide pedo.

Surprised femenist haven't asked it to be removed from streaming services.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It appears white people will stop voicing non-yellow people on The Simpsons. Off the top of my head, there goes Apu and Dr. Hibbert.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The original Dragonball.

Tons of characters groping, peeping at, molesting and even slipping a roofie to Bulma. Master Roshii is a bonafide pedo.

Surprised femenist haven't asked it to be removed from streaming services.

The Japanese are exempt on the basis of cultural differences.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The news(?) that Kristen Bell and someone else I never heard of will stop voicing biracial animated characters was either just lol or lol plus so transparently self-congratulatory typical Hollywood activism. "I'll step aside so that a black actor can be the voice of this character who is part black."

The one-drop rule is still alive and well it has just taken a different form.

Maybe soon we can have entertainment where people are only allowed to portray themselves, it'll be a riot. Tom Cruise stars in Crazy Man Jumps on Oprah's Couch. Hugh Grant stars in Looking for Love in All the Right Places. Mel Gibson couldn't portray his own life though because Jews would be upset.

Well, we may as well re-record Darth Vader’s voice if we’re going to be consistent.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It appears white people will stop voicing non-yellow people on The Simpsons. Off the top of my head, there goes Apu and Dr. Hibbert.

We are only free in our hearts and art is the expression of that freedom.

I think it's perfectly fair to criticize something if you don't like it. And I think it's just as fair for others to stand on that ground and defend these human freedoms.

These censorious acts are what happens when angry people are able to grab the conch and use that window of time to push through policies and ratify suppression in the body politic.

I'd rather the people that object to Apu simply abstain from watching The Simpsons, and encourage others to do so as well. Or make their own version of the character that they feel is a more respectful treatment of that stereotype. With YouTube, that definitely supports diversity and inclusivity these days, there is a lot of truck.

But the truth of the matter is that it is only a minority of actual Simpsons fans that even care. The series wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if people actually considered the portrayal a legitimate problem.

As with everything else, these new directives and attitudess are driven by a minority affecting the majority. How long until Christian Bale has to get into karate gun fights to protect freedom of expression?

This is a problem and more people need to rise up and speak out against it. I can abide a functioning toilet in a museum with a sign over it that reads 'America'. I think they can abide, say, The Last Samurai or Dragonball.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
No more Cleveland from Family Guy either. Sad.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Well, we may as well re-record Darth Vader’s voice if we’re going to be consistent.

Fun fact, i was in contact with Dave Prowse for quite a while kind of through work, even went to his house a few times.

Bit of a misery.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We are only free in our hearts and art is the expression of that freedom.

I think it's perfectly fair to criticize something if you don't like it. And I think it's just as fair for others to stand on that ground and defend these human freedoms.

These censorious acts are what happens when angry people are able to grab the conch and use that window of time to push through policies and ratify suppression in the body politic.

I'd rather the people that object to Apu simply abstain from watching The Simpsons, and encourage others to do so as well. Or make their own version of the character that they feel is a more respectful treatment of that stereotype. With YouTube, that definitely supports diversity and inclusivity these days, there is a lot of truck.

But the truth of the matter is that it is only a minority of actual Simpsons fans that even care. The series wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if people actually considered the portrayal a legitimate problem.

As with everything else, these new directives and attitudess are driven by a minority affecting the majority. How long until Christian Bale has to get into karate gun fights to protect freedom of expression?

This is a problem and more people need to rise up and speak out against it. I can abide a functioning toilet in a museum with a sign over it that reads 'America'. I think they can abide, say, The Last Samurai or Dragonball.

You know I feel this post because it offers a philosophy that I employ. When the kids in my family come to me to try to show me the games they play, I let them know I’m simply not interested. But then I ask them about what art they are making, or what games they might be programming themselves. I don’t tell them that playing someone else’s shitty marvel superheroes gatcha is gay shit, but instead I encourage them to share what they are creating. Encouraging them to be more producer and less consumer.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Connery is on a whole different level. He would literally smack bitches up when they wouldn't let shit go. #Me2 can't touch him.

StevenK

10 Year Member
You know I feel this post because it offers a philosophy that I employ. When the kids in my family come to me to try to show me the games they play, I let them know I’m simply not interested. But then I ask them about what art they are making, or what games they might be programming themselves. I don’t tell them that playing someone else’s shitty marvel superheroes gatcha is gay shit, but instead I encourage them to share what they are creating. Encouraging them to be more producer and less consumer.

Aww dad, do we have to go and see Uncle Edutainment this weekend??

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Aww dad, do we have to go and see Uncle Edutainment this weekend??

I don’t encourage gaming. I am not into it. But I enjoy interacting with people and encouraging them to be better people.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

I think the nadir of the human soul is to object to a work of art so much that you can justify its erasure. Regardless of the work itself.

When I still had sigs active in my profile, I had a G.R.R.M. quote that was essentially a longhand of 'the power to destroy and the power to create aren't the same thing.' This theme is evident in ASOIF time and time again.

Destruction, in the sense Martin is speaking of, only leads to cycles of tyranny. Only through creation is it even possible for true progress.

Regardless of what one may think of Martin or his work, the wisdom is valid in my opinion.

So instead of destroying, create the thing that counters the thing you dislike.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I don’t encourage gaming. I am not into it. But I enjoy interacting with people and encouraging them to be better people.

I felt the same, didn't really play a game for a decade. Recently I got back into it through a couple of killer games on the Switch which I bought on a total whim and it's given me some relief from being serious all day long.

Business. Kids. Health. Bills. Politics.

When I first met my other half we didn't watch TV for years, in the evenings we talked, fucked, played board games, fucked some more. Now we wait until the kids are finally asleep then watch box sets, cross eyed, until she falls asleep on the sofa. I'll usually fire up the console for a few games after she's gone up to bed, I have friends who are online on games and we play together.

I don't even know exactly what I'm trying to say but it's something along the lines of I've seen you talking negatively about playing games for a while, I know where you're coming from but it was right for you at some point in the past, it's not right for you now, but you never know what's round the corner and what might fit in the future.

At the very least, try not to regret what you have enjoyed in the past, you're never wrong about what you like, you can only be wrong about whether you should do it or not.

Deep, I know.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Connery is on a whole different level. He would literally smack bitches up when they wouldn't let shit go. #Me2 can't touch him.

Did you ever see the getaway when Steve McQueen really smacks that actress a couple of times? Apparently he never told her he was gonna do that and it wasn’t faked..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Did you ever see the getaway when Steve McQueen really smacks that actress a couple of times? Apparently he never told her he was gonna do that and it wasn’t faked..

When you're Steve McQueen shit happens. Here's the bit on Connery.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Kids in the Halls Brain Candy

Making fun of fags when you're gay (not all of them) is wrong ...hahahaha