Dark Souls 3

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Probably going to buy this tomorrow. Wasn't going to but I have the week off - why not.

I still need to finish the Witcher 3.

I see a bunch of reviews are out for DS3 already?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thankfully my semester ends Wednesday, so I have 1.5 weeks to invest.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I hear a lot of good things about the Witcher series so I DLed the second which was free with XBLGold. My friend recommended it highly but he's more of a PC RPG gamer than anything else. I'm gonna try it since I already have it for free and if I like it I'll get III for the PS4 when it's cheap.

DSII FOTSS is already 20 on PS3 and 30 on PS4, I'm waiting for the PS4 to be 20, at less I beat DSI real soon and side track Demon's. I would love to get DSIII right away but I have so much to play still, mind as well wait. I still wanna get Bloodborne, haven't yet 'cause I don't wan to spoil the rest by playing something newer, I hope it makes sense.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I hear a lot of good things about the Witcher series so I DLed the second which was free with XBLGold. My friend recommended it highly but he's more of a PC RPG gamer than anything else. I'm gonna try it since I already have it for free and if I like it I'll get III for the PS4 when it's cheap.

DSII FOTSS is already 20 on PS3 and 30 on PS4, I'm waiting for the PS4 to be 20, at less I beat DSI real soon and side track Demon's. I would love to get DSIII right away but I have so much to play still, mind as well wait. I still wanna get Bloodborne, haven't yet 'cause I don't wan to spoil the rest by playing something newer, I hope it makes sense.

Definitely get dark souls 3 soon if the reviews start to roll in good. The best time to play these games is when they first release and there's tons of easy pvp and coOp to be had. It's a much better experience being there in the mix during the first few months of release.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Tomorrow is the day, and for the record, DS3 will own DS2. DS2 sucked in its Souls feel because Miyazaki wasn't there. Miyazaki is the greatest genius alive for video games right now. All games hes done so far are masterpieces in this series.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Tomorrow is the day, and for the record, DS3 will own DS2. DS2 sucked in its Souls feel because Miyazaki wasn't there. Miyazaki is the greatest genius alive for video games right now. All games hes done so far are masterpieces in this series.

I'm feeling the positive vibes too. He said this is the last one, so I'm hoping he exits this series with a bang, and ties up a lot of the lore

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't feel Dark Souls was meant to be a series. That isn't how Miyazaki operates. I think for DS2 it was just money pandering, I feel he's doing III to tie up the mess of 2 on a positive. His lack of being there was amazing. He has such a impact, you could feel it through the game.. Miyazaki is at his best with ZERO influence from fans or pressure from the company to produce more. Bloodborne is such a good game, it's beyond compare. Vicar Amelia is one of the coolest bosses like ever.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Kotaku has their review up. I skimmed it, cus I really really don't want to know anything before I play. From what I gather, it's a buy :D

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Tonight's the night Miyazaki-ites, I for one am prepared to be disappointed in terms of end-game content, covenants and lack of variety in the areas /environments. Meaning- I'm ready for this thing to have some of the same problems Bloodborne had. But that doesn't mean a bad game or one that isn't better than Souls 2, as Bloodborne is imo the best souls game yet. Please let them have expanded covenants and what you can do with them in this game. And for the love of Jesus H. Christ on a crutch- more endgame!!!

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm trying to avoid picking up a (regular) PS4, so I'm running PC version with a gadget that allows Wii U Pro controllers to work on PC. As long as the switch is on Xinput, the game has been picking it up perfectly with no mapping required. As for the game itself, the graphics and sound are excellent, but I'm not far enough in to form an opinion other than that.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
A good game so far, love the fast gameplay and how it 'feels' like the real DARK SOULS II, I played about an hour and died 3 times, which is a lot for me this early in a souls game. Some of the enemies are really hard to roll through-their wide sweeping attacks not so forgiving. But it's all just a matter of getting all the new stuff down in your head so you can get back to feeling like a failure if you die even once in a play session (using coop, mind you) or in a 1-on-1 PVP match. It is soooo much easier in this game to make your character entirely coal black for fashion souls purposes, not the more-involved tweaking in the previous games. Really pale characters look terrible to me in outfits that show a lot of skin unless you only have them wear certain outfit combinations. If you're a shadow man, everything looks good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^lol, you know better than to think that way. DS games can kill you in the most mundane ways possible when you blink, it happens...

As for me...OMG I just bought Twilight Princess HD, haven't opened it yet, I might return it and get this instead, I already beat the Wii TP but I just wanted to play it GC style and buying the GC game is like 40 bucks so I figured mind as well get the WiiU HD version with GC controls with the Pro controller...but fuck Zelda! DSIII...hormagaud!!!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been playing for 3.5 hours.

So far it feels like my first playthrough of the original Dark Souls. Getting wrecked. Nice change of pace from the Witcher 3 where I was just murdering everything.

Beat the first boss, teleported to Lothric and I've just unlocked the first shortcut there. So yeah. Took me forever to see this one ladder I was missing. I haven't relearned parrying yet and I think I made a mistake going with a Spear, but we'll see....

Ran in to a lot of enemies that I can't beat (easily) or just take to long to engage each time so I've been running past them. Can't wait to come back and crush them.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Played for about an hour last night, but dammit I have to study for my final exam tomorrow. Made it to Firelink and proceeded to get wrecked by the Uchigatana wielding naked guy a few times. I also skipped the Crystal Lizard in the tutorial area. Will be taking care of both of them hopefully tonight.

I went with the cleric, and so far he's pretty good. Damage with mace is decent, and fast, but the starting spells are junk. I guess heal will help me out a bit so save estus, but the Force spell is useless crap. I wish it did just a small amount of damage. I'm really hoping wrath of god doesn't require me to kneel and slowly wait for it to cast. Hopefully it comes out fast. It was really overpowered in Dark Souls one though, so if it's nerfed a bit I can handle that, just REALLY hope it isn't slow to cast.

Can't wait to really dig into this game starting tomorrow night, and all day thursday. I'm going to pump every single point into strength, and faith, and hope it works out.

So far the game looks great, and runs smooth and fluid.

I actually read the ps4 and xbox versions are locked in at 30FPS, and the PC version gets 60FPS most of the time. If this is true, about the time the DLC comes out, I will have hopefully upgraded my PC, and be rocking the PC version.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
^lol, you know better than to think that way. DS games can kill you in the most mundane ways possible when you blink, it happens...

As for me...OMG I just bought Twilight Princess HD, haven't opened it yet, I might return it and get this instead, I already beat the Wii TP but I just wanted to play it GC style and buying the GC game is like 40 bucks so I figured mind as well get the WiiU HD version with GC controls with the Pro controller...but fuck Zelda! DSIII...hormagaud!!!

I was being serious there, once I got the full feel for Bloodborne- if I die at all before I get to killing Rom the Spider who loved Vaccuuming, it's like a personal failure and a total suckage. This is entirely possible in all the souls games, from Demon's Souls right up through until now. I am really into the souls series though, and play through every game with 8 or 10 characters.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So what? You're still getting killed. You can be the best ever, you can still get destroyed by minions, it's just the way the game is if you're not paying attention or underestimating your enemy 'cause you're rushing in trying to speed your way through.

Edit: Quantity does not equal quality, you know this I gather.

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Lol, I still need to finish Dark Souls 1 and I also have a sealed copy of DS2 for PS4 to play next. I also need to finish The Witcher 2 I got for free someday and I have The Witcher 3 also sitting on my shelf, doh. I played the hell out of my copy of Bloodborne over a year along with the Old Hunters DLC. I won't be getting DS3 most likely for around a month or two from the looks of it. I wish I played through Demon on the PS3, but it is really hard to go back to that game for me. I really wish so many games didn't come out over the past 2 years keeping me from focusing on all of the Souls series. Bloodborne was the only one I felt I could follow through with. Something tells me I am going to love DS3 since I am more of a Bloodborne fan.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is why I haven't gotten BB, I know I'll be all over it but at the same time spoiling my DS experience, so I'll just wait 'till I beat all the previous games before I jump on BB...wouldn't mind getting that DS3 though, but it's jut the hype in me trampling over reason.

Hey Sancho, did you get regular DSII or SOTFS? I think it might be SOTFS, I think that's the only DSII on PS4, I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I made it to the Undead Settlement.

So much in the Lothric Area I need to explore...I wonder if all those locked doors have keys?

EDIT: Also found 2 covenants.

Praise the Sun...

Time to read up on how this shit actually works in this game.

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member

I too was playing TP HD when the Xbox One version of DS3 "released early". Dropped that shit and jumped on the Souls, it's a much higher priority in my life. I'll get back to TP HD when Souls is done though.

EDIT: Also found 2 covenants.

Praise the Sun...

Time to read up on how this shit actually works in this game.

Just explaining the mechanics a bit, but spoilering in case anyone wants to figure it out on their own:

Spoiler:
Covenants are now items that get a dedicated spot on the equipment screen allowing you to switch covenants at will. Read the item description to see what the point of the covenant is which will net you covenant-specific items. Most covenants have a spot somewhere in the world where you can trade in the covenant-specific items for special items, weapons, and spells. There's only 2 items per covenant though.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Just started recently i went with a mercenary.I was a little rusty and i defeated the first boss after the second try.I'll have to see what the covenants are and see how they work etc.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Just got my copy and my girlfriend ordered hers.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
So what? You're still getting killed. You can be the best ever, you can still get destroyed by minions, it's just the way the game is if you're not paying attention or underestimating your enemy 'cause you're rushing in trying to speed your way through.

Edit: Quantity does not equal quality, you know this I gather.

Of course, quality is important. For me, each new game has driven me to shorten the length of time it takes to ramp the learning curve. I play for relaxation and use walkthroughs, videos and jolly cooperation wherever I can. The last three 'souls' games (including Bloodborne and DS I-II) I have solo'd until I got the feel for it and played it at my own pace. This time I want to become a better gamer and push myself from the get go.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Just started recently i went with a mercenary.I was a little rusty and i defeated the first boss after the second try.I'll have to see what the covenants are and see how they work etc.

My roomates both got it so i'm playing their copy for now until my Gamefly gets here. Then we can go full coop.

I went with Warrior and Life Ring

The first boss got me too. I thought he was gonna do some crazy shit and played too cautious. Whopped him hard the second time.

Game is gorgeous and feels great. Soundtrack kicks ass too so far.