Robocop remake (2014 movie)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This of course…

… means some sort of retaliation… I'm sending Prince Harry in a Nazi uniform… to force you all to speak GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT ENGLISH!

xROTx

Attachments

• prince_harry_nazi.jpg
    prince_harry_nazi.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 175

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I, for one, love the over the top 80's violence but it seems to have a much smaller role in modern day movies. I guess this is why I like the new Dredd so much...it was so violent, it made me fel at home given the steady diet of 1980' sci-fi gore fest films I grew up on.

I personally wish more modern films like Dredd wold come out figuring special effects have come so far...but I doubt they will. Joe cop getting disfigured by an exploding car vs getting shot over and over by a gang of thugs is much more "easy" on the movie going public I guess. Will it kill the film? Probably not...but the original death scene has stuck with me for life...as have many violent scenes in the original. To this day its one of my favorite films...

The "X-Rated" cut of Robocop is still my favorite movie. So I wasn't so thrilled to hear about a remake. Especially after seeing the first trailer.

The first trailer showed that they took most of what made the original film great. Murhpy loosing his humanity & being turned into a machine. And his struggle to find and win that back.

But now it looks like Murphy is "still there" from the get go. All of his human features are no longer buried away. That scene in the original when Murphy takes the Robocop helmet off for the first time? Always loved that scene.

And I really doubt that Verhoeven's dark humor will be there this time around. Also one of the things I always loved about the original.

But after seeing the second trailer, I'm now hoping that the new version will be different enough from the original that I'll look at it as it's own film, rather than a remake. A lot more along the lines of Total Recall. The original is another of my favs. And the new one had almost nothing to do with the original. It was different enough that I viewed it as it's own movie and enjoyed it in a different way. Sure, I still like the original better. But I also enjoy the new one for very different reasons.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
On a more lets stay… on topic note…

…The trailers make me wish that Hollywood would leave shit alone…

I could be wrong… but this looks like generic Hollywood crappola…

xROTx

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's gonna be shite.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I wonder how long it took a majority of the crew to realize this movie was gonna suck and would bomb? I bet they knew in preproduction.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Just watched trailers 2 and 3.

Trailer 2 feels smarter, because it feels like a new take on the pervading sense of cynicism and pessimism of the original film. Rather than having Murphy becoming a victim of circumstance, he appears to be set up by war profiteers. The trailer sets it up like a revenge film set in dystopia. That's a relatively unique combination I can get behind.

Trailer 3 feels dumber, because it waters down vengeance in favor of pity, and completely strips away my beloved corporate cynicism.

The fact that they're cut from the same film gives me some hope that it'll be worth a matinee price. I mean hell, the trailer I saw for Lord of War was cut to make it out to be a dark comedy. The film itself was actually far darker and more serious than the trailer let on. So I'll give RemakeCop a shot.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I was looking for either my Genesis, Nomad, or LaserActive today and finally found my Criterion copy of Robocop. I'd been looking for it for years and was pleased to have found it. Gave up on the Sega hunt and slapped it right in to the old AX10.

Man, what a beautiful transfer. I'd love to see Criterion do a modern release of Robocop. It's far too bad they don't have the rights to the movie anymore.

Anyways, this "X-Rated" cut that the Criterion Collection has is still my favorite movie. Watching it again for the seemingly millionth time I still enjoy it on so many levels. The impact that some scenes carry is immense. The first execution & subsequent death of Murphy is very powerful. And there's more like it, though not to quite that extent.

I just really don't see how they're going to do anything at all like that in the remake with how they've changed things up like they have.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I was looking for either my Genesis, Nomad, or LaserActive today and finally found my Criterion copy of Robocop. I'd been looking for it for years and was pleased to have found it. Gave up on the Sega hunt and slapped it right in to the old AX10.

Man, what a beautiful transfer. I'd love to see Criterion do a modern release of Robocop. It's far too bad they don't have the rights to the movie anymore.

Anyways, this "X-Rated" cut that the Criterion Collection has is still my favorite movie. Watching it again for the seemingly millionth time I still enjoy it on so many levels. The impact that some scenes carry is immense. The first execution & subsequent death of Murphy is very powerful. And there's more like it, though not to quite that extent.

I just really don't see how they're going to do anything at all like that in the remake with how they've changed things up like they have.

Loved Robocop, and has become a part of my childhood. However, seeing the trailer for the first time regarding the remake, I thought they were going to do this right. I was wrong.

The bare hand really makes it difficult to believe that he will be able to endure shrapnel or explosions easily. Unless if it's a robotic hand under the skin, I can see this being believable. Hell, I don't even like the attitude of this remade Robocop, because it's too cold and cocky. I guess they're going for the "new douche cop" thing.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Hasn't this come out and bombed yet?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

The blu-ray is also the director's cut but the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 rather than the original 1.66:1 on the Criterion release. Might want to hold onto that DVD!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
guys so i recall there beng a debate on how murphy's face was used on robocop

rade envisioned they just used his skin

i put forth they used his whole head

what's up y'all

someone link to the old neo-geo robocop fan club ffs

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
guys so i recall there beng a debate on how murphy's face was used on robocop

rade envisioned they just used his skin

i put forth they used his whole head

what's up y'all

someone link to the old neo-geo robocop fan club ffs

I remember some making of/cast reflection video saying they basically just peeled Murphy's face off and slapped it on a machine so he would have a point of reference/not freak out.

It also explains why you have the weird extra flesh along the edges of his face when he takes the helmet off.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
that makes zero sense though

why peel off the flesh, who not just use the whole head, ugh

T.A.P.

15 Year Member

For the same reason they got rid of his remaining arm.

Last edited:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'm late to the party on this, but after seeing the trailer, I'm sure it's going to suck. I stopped watching at the part where they had the wife involved.

I can't believe they're going to make it a bomb that ruins his body. The shooting scene in the first film was a lot more powerful. I don't mind some changes being made, but what could the justification be? You take a really memorable shocking scene where a man is ruthlessly shot nearly to death and turn it into just another explosion. Great work, guys.

EDIT: UGH I just made the mistake of watching the rest of the trailer. How is this even Robocop? What exactly is carrying over? The character seems to be completely different!

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

That was the case though, there's a set of mini films explaining different things in Robocop...his face being one of them. They never saved Murphy's head...just his brain. There's a side story where they decide to put his face-flesh over a man made skeleton due to the psychological aspect of self recognition.

This is also how they explain away actor changes between Robocop 3 and the TV show...the original "Murphy skin" had to eventually be replaced due to wear/damage...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The blu-ray is also the director's cut but the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 rather than the original 1.66:1 on the Criterion release. Might want to hold onto that DVD!

I've got 3 different releases of Robocop on DVD & BD. Haven't yet opened the BD copy. But I will certainly never get rid of my Criterion Collection copy of it. The extras are great, transfer & encoding are great. And it was the first DVD I ever bought a little over 15 years ago.

And I shouldn't be surprised they messed with the aspect ratio on the BD pressings. They really went 1.85? I can see them going 16:9 to appease the average retard that runs Blu-Ray (why are there black bars on the side of my screen?). But going to 1.85 doesn't seem to make any sense.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Watching these clips just reaffirms that this isn't really even a Robocop remake. Robocop is a machine with a human brain. This new garbage is more like a Halo Spartan.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Are those supposed to make people want to give this shit re-make a chance?

I actually had a sliver of hope that it would be halfway decent, before I watched those clips.