CRT Fetish Thread

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Now just wait, seeing as how you've got the TV, it's just a short step away for you to start collecting laserdiscs and VHS tapes to watch on it.
I actually spend more hours watching my old CRT, than I do my 4k jobby.

God damn it, this.
I about a year after I got my PVM, I picked up a nice laserdisc player and like 50 movies and 25 anime titles (including a Green Legend Ran collector's box set with everything except the T-Shirt in it).

Once I get my W500 laptop outputting 15khz RGB properly, I have some old 90s cartoons and TV shows I want to try watching on it too.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Now just wait, seeing as how you've got the TV, it's just a short step away for you to start collecting laserdiscs and VHS tapes to watch on it.

I actually spend more hours watching my old CRT, than I do my 4k jobby.

Lmao! I actually do collect vhs tapes and do watch on it! I watched Alien this weekend. Looked pretty damn sweet!

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
God damn it, this.
I about a year after I got my PVM, I picked up a nice laserdisc player and like 50 movies and 25 anime titles (including a Green Legend Ran collector's box set with everything except the T-Shirt in it).

Once I get my W500 laptop outputting 15khz RGB properly, I have some old 90s cartoons and TV shows I want to try watching on it too.

Beetlejuice, the tick, the real ghostbusters, tmnt, he man, she ra, thundarr, attack of the killer tomatoes! Got them all downloaded as well. Except tomatoes could never find that one....

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Hoping someone can help me out with my Sony PVM-14L5...

I have a BKM-129X card for an extra set of RGB/component inputs. Unfortunately the color is darker and not as balanced as the built-in RGB/component inputs, even when using the same console, SCART cable, and SCART-to-BNC adapter. Things I've checked:

1. Color settings (e.g. temperature) in normal menu match between inputs
  2. Color settings in service menu match between inputs (not even sure if these are different per input...)
Anyone have any ideas on other settings or things I should be checking? I'd like to get the colors to be similar between the 2 sets of inputs if possible, but it's not a life or death matter since the 1 set works well.

US CRT sets with SCART RCA Dimensia series

I just wanted to pass along the following listing for two RCA Dimensia sets that have the distinction of being the only US televisions to have included SCART inputs, though RCA called them EIA Multiports:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Only-9-1-Ma...593453?hash=item3acca6e76d:g:KeYAAOSwmfhX2wfF

I'm nowhere near NC to be able to take advantage of it, but fellow CRT fans here might have an opportunity to do so. These are rare sets that don't come up often.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
That's interesting. It has a very nice picture for a commercial CRT. I'm only about an hour away. Damn, I need a bigger house.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I just wanted to pass along the following listing for two RCA Dimensia sets that have the distinction of being the only US televisions to have included SCART inputs, though RCA called them EIA Multiports:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Only-9-1-Ma...593453?hash=item3acca6e76d:g:KeYAAOSwmfhX2wfF

I'm nowhere near NC to be able to take advantage of it, but fellow CRT fans here might have an opportunity to do so. These are rare sets that don't come up often.

Friendly reminder that the Dimensia sets, while sporting SCART connectors, DO NOT SUPPORT RGB. The image of the manual stating as such many pages earlier in the thread is gone, but it's a thing.

You could probably modify things to get them working correctly, but if you're going that route, you'd likely just be better off modifying a newer, higher quality and less worn set.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SCART is really a connector, not a standard. It can be used to pass composite, svideo, rgb, or component video, but not every device has all of that enabled.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
SCART is really a connector, not a standard. It can be used to pass composite, svideo, rgb, or component video, but not every device has all of that enabled.

speaking of RGB and component. I'm looking for a component to SCART adapter so i can hook my Wii up to my PVM.

I cant seem to find one though. Only YPbPr to SCART

What are my options?

edit: i settled on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361732875564?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

i really hope its good

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
YPbPr is component.

oh i know

what im saying is all i could find was SCART IN to Component OUT. I need the reverse.

its alright i ended up ordering the one in the link above on ebay but now its raising another question. I see the adapter is described as YUV to SCART. I have no idea what the fuck YUV is. From cursory look, I'm hearing YUV is just another form of component. Definitely need to some reading on that.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Look for a key digital kd-va5, or another one of their component to VGA transcoders. I use a kd-va5 for my PS2 and it handles 480i, 240p, and 480p just fine. I ran a PS2 on component to my net city with one, because it can do lo res and hi res without worrying about the PS2 switching to sync on green in progressive mode. The KD-VA5's are hard to find but amazing devices. They let you do both RGB to component and vice versa, and I'd bet you could just use a VGA to BNC cable and hook right to your PVM.

I don't think that box you bought is going to do the actual transcoding but I could be wrong. It looks like it's just rerouting the traces between connectors.

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Component essentially means there are separate signals making up the total video. So, RGB and YPbPr are both technically component. However, component typically refers to YPbPr. YUV is a color system. Basically meaning one luma and two chroma, which is what YPbPr uses.

While not technically accurate, when buying cables and adapters: component = YUV = YPbPr.

Also, did you know that the NTSC Wii is capable of outputting RGB? I recently ordered my Wii scart connector, so we'll see if I can get it to work, but here's my source anyway: https://youtu.be/3yeKMo6mcAo

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Component essentially means there are separate signals making up the total video. So, RGB and YPbPr are both technically component. However, component typically refers to YPbPr. YUV is a color system. Basically meaning one luma and two chroma, which is what YPbPr uses.

While not technically accurate, when buying cables and adapters: component = YUV = YPbPr.

Also, did you know that the NTSC Wii is capable of outputting RGB? I recently ordered my Wii scart connector, so we'll see if I can get it to work, but here's my source anyway: https://youtu.be/3yeKMo6mcAo

Oh YUV is just a color scheme. Ok simple enough thanks

Also yeah I have heard there are ways for the and NTSC Wii to output RGB but i kept hearing so many conflicting reports i just figure id just go this route

edit: Actually looks pretty straight forward. I'll give it a shot. Which one did you order?

Look for a key digital kd-va5, or another one of their component to VGA transcoders. I use a kd-va5 for my PS2 and it handles 480i, 240p, and 480p just fine. I ran a PS2 on component to my net city with one, because it can do lo res and hi res without worrying about the PS2 switching to sync on green in progressive mode. The KD-VA5's are hard to find but amazing devices. They let you do both RGB to component and vice versa, and I'd bet you could just use a VGA to BNC cable and hook right to your PVM.

I don't think that box you bought is going to do the actual transcoding but I could be wrong. It looks like it's just rerouting the traces between connectors.

Oh man i would love to get my hands on one of those but one of these will have to do for now.

Wait but what do you mean this one might not work? Do I need a transcoder? I figured since my PVM outputs component, i just need a way of connecting my Wii to it.

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Well, I bought a PAL one off ebay from China for like $5. While this isn't typically a good idea, an official one goes for like $50 since they are discontinued. So long as a cheap one actually works, I may spring for the official one later. For now, I want to make sure I can actually get a proper signal. Apparently, PAL and NTSC cables are essentially the same. However, the PAL console may output a brighter signal meaning that the cable will have some built-in resistors to dim it down. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Well, I bought a PAL one off ebay from China for like $5. While this isn't typically a good idea, an official one goes for like $50 since they are discontinued. So long as a cheap one actually works, I may spring for the official one later. For now, I want to make sure I can actually get a proper signal. Apparently, PAL and NTSC cables are essentially the same. However, the PAL console may output a brighter signal meaning that the cable will have some built-in resistors to dim it down. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

yeah i went ahead and ordered the cheapest one that would ship locally which was around 7.50 shipped

im sure it'll work out

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If your PVM accepts component you just need RCA to BNC adapters. If it only accepts RGB/Sync and not component (YPbPr) then you'd want a transcoder.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Oh ok. Well I have a 1954Q and 8041Q, pretty sure they both accept component. I know for sure the 1954Q does.

I do have some RCA to BNC adapters but they only work for composite, couldnt get them to work with component for some reason. Thats why im trying this.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I do have some RCA to BNC adapters but they only work for composite, couldnt get them to work with component for some reason. Thats why im trying this.

Strange. Maybe post a picture of the back of the TV with everything hooked up so we can try and help?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
On PVMs that support both RGB and Component on the same BNC connectors you usually have to go into the menu to change the settings for the appropriate input.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
On PVMs that support both RGB and Component on the same BNC connectors you usually have to go into the menu to change the settings for the appropriate input.

I see. I havent gone into the menu in a while but yeah maybe thats the reason.

I know with PS2 via RGB SCART to BNC, what i do is switch over from RGB to Component in the PS2 settings and press the component button on the front of the PVM and thats all i ever have to do to get it working.