theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The PVM 2950 as it is currently setup (please excuse the poor photos):

IMG_2091.JPG

That setup looks familiar. :P

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
You might need to grab a degaussing wand.

That's what I figured, but wanted a second opinion before dropping money on something that could be a simple fix, or on the other end of the scale, irreversible.
In a semi related not, I just almost got crushed by it trying to slide it up a small set of stairs. Woo.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well, despite not being able to get it to display RGB yet, I ended up taking it; Sadly scratching the hell out of the casing in moving it.

While I had it on the first floor, everything looked fine(over composite). Now that I've moved it up to the second floor, I've noticed an odd discoloration of reds in one part of the screen. I'm positive it wasn't there before, and the built in degauss isn't doing anything for it.
View attachment 17692

Is there anything I can do for this, or have I been left with a 200lb crippled monitor?

If it is a purplish hue that effects the colors, I'm afraid that's going to be the beginning of the end for it. I had that on mine and fixed the situation by bending back part of the metal housing. After a few weeks it started in another spot. It died a few days later. My advice would be to have a tech look at it now before it's totally gone.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
lol still packed away after the move.

I'll probably get them out tonight or this weekend. Might plug in the SuperGrafx tonight.

Sweet. Getting a PVM has been a revitalization of my Retro gaming since it looks so much better and most importantly no more input lag. Looking for a Model 1 Genesis now since I only ever played my friends growing up, never actually owned one. I might steal your ID for the TV stand, I am tired of my ass hurting from sitting on the floor =)

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict

Like I said, it just with reds at the moment, so I'm hoping that it's something different.
I'm curious how bending the housing affected anything. Is it due to over heating or something?

Also, is there anything special I need to do in order to get it to display VGA on RGB1, or is RGB2 only compatible with that. All of my PCs seem to be able to see it in some form, but it doesn't want to display anything.

As for having a tech look at it, I wouldn't know where to look for one, and even if I did there's no way I could afford it; I'm broke.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Like I said, it just with reds at the moment, so I'm hoping that it's something different.
I'm curious how bending the housing affected anything. Is it due to over heating or something?

Also, is there anything special I need to do in order to get it to display VGA on RGB1, or is RGB2 only compatible with that. All of my PCs seem to be able to see it in some form, but it doesn't want to display anything.

As for having a tech look at it, I wouldn't know where to look for one, and even if I did there's no way I could afford it; I'm broke.

Something inside the TV is failing and it causes magnetic interference, which causes the purple spot. There is a user in this thread that has this monitor and has the same issue as well. I used to use a scaler made by a member here named fusiontr. It accepted scart and spit it out to the rgb1 input..which only accepts. 15k. The rgb 2 input accepts 31k, which is why it will display your PC. It's been awhile since I owned this model though, so I may be wrong. Its a decent set when you get it running, but as I've stated before... Get a few friends to be on the ready, cause I was stuck with this thing sitting in my hallway for 6 months till I could get a hand moving it out after it died.

bacardi

n00b
Great thread guys, just registered here to congratulate you all - fantastic inspiration for me... trying to get my hands on a real gaming monitor like the Sony professional models - quite hard where I live :(

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Something inside the TV is failing and it causes magnetic interference, which causes the purple spot. There is a user in this thread that has this monitor and has the same issue as well. I used to use a scaler made by a member here named fusiontr. It accepted scart and spit it out to the rgb1 input..which only accepts. 15k. The rgb 2 input accepts 31k, which is why it will display your PC. It's been awhile since I owned this model though, so I may be wrong. Its a decent set when you get it running, but as I've stated before... Get a few friends to be on the ready, cause I was stuck with this thing sitting in my hallway for 6 months till I could get a hand moving it out after it died.

So is it the tube itself, or part of the electronics? If the latter, I wouldn't have much of a problem leaving it in the attic until I could afford to fix it. The former however would be terrible.
Thanks for the info on the RGB inputs, it's what I figured but wasn't entirely sure on.

As Thamiel brought up, it could very well have been where I had it sitting, as it was surround with more electronics than I'd like to admit; Once I manage to get it up the last set of stairs, I'll give it another shot.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So is it the tube itself, or part of the electronics? If the latter, I wouldn't have much of a problem leaving it in the attic until I could afford to fix it. The former however would be terrible.
Thanks for the info on the RGB inputs, it's what I figured but wasn't entirely sure on.

As Thamiel brought up, it could very well have been where I had it sitting, as it was surround with more electronics than I'd like to admit; Once I manage to get it up the last set of stairs, I'll give it another shot.

That I can't answer for you... I don't know what caused it, but do know that it went down hill quickly once it started.

Psxed

n00b
My screen is still slightly tilted. I finally build up the courage to open my sony pvm-20m2e to go hunt for some potmeters. Well i found 3; one for adjusting the screen horizontally, one for convergence and one that says screen (which i think is for brightness?) that is in a real scary spot right next to the tube. But still not anything to tilt my screen.

2014-08-15%2017.08.01.jpg

(convergence pot)

2014-08-15%2017.08.16.jpg

(scary screen pot)

2014-08-15%2017.18.46.jpg

(H adjust pot)

Can anyone take a look in the screenshot i made of my system menu to see if there is anything slightly related to tilt? I tried all the options once but i had no luck. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11109447/Rgb/Schermafbeelding 2014-08-15 om 17.31.25.png

Last edited:

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
Tilted screens are usually do to the electron guns via the yoke assembly being physically rotated.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
That I can't answer for you... I don't know what caused it, but do know that it went down hill quickly once it started.

Adjusting purity managed to move it, and if I throw purity way off, I seemed to be able to get rid of it (while horribly discoloring two corners of the tube). I also somehow managed to access the drive controls in the menu, and turning the red gun all the way down seemed to remove the discoloration as well. If there is something actually failing, I don't think it's the tube itself. A heavy degaussing might even be able to clear it up. Getting it up and running is probably just going to be a long term project.

MORE BVM 900 LINE INSANITY!!
20140815_000839_4_zpsxkjppgva.jpg
That looks stupidly crisp, and I love it.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Sometimes it takes a cheap scaler on a LCD screen to make you really appreciate CRT all over again.
I can't stop thinking about the day the last tube flickers out, all the backup chassis and cap kits in the world won't save phosphors depletion or burned out electron guns.
We need a modern solution that isn't a step backwards, but sadly none exist.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Man do 360 Cave games look good on the PVM, well worth getting the SCART cable for

Lqqn5vF.png

Psxed

n00b
Well i've got a choice getting another CRT it's between a BVM-2010p or a PVM-2730QM. What would you pick?