Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Ask, and out of the bounty, ye shall receive.

Stunplay.jpg

LOL

Mai-bukkake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh wow, my awesome beer helmet we made for Baldy is getting interbutt hitz NAO!!!

Time for me to cross the pond.

Neogeofan12

Banned
I love arcade gaming: Cause there's no room for bullshit.

An arcade game has no bullshit, it's either be good or die.

Write a terrible article of an arcade game or series then prepare to get fucked.

If you want to do BS just talk about console gaming, cause it's full of BS of all kinds.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
From another message board where this NG.com/Stu issue got brought up:

A few issues back there was an article Stuart Campbell wrote for Retro Gamer on unreleased games. Except this same exact article was printed in Edge magazine years ago, almost word for word identical. It even has the same mistakes it had in 1999! such as stating that Megadrive Virtua Fighter 2 is virtually impossible to find. Clearly its not even remotely hard to get hold of, and quite how it deserves to be in an article about unreleased games I'm not sure, after all there were literally hundreds of cancelled games for the Megadrive and its add-ons alone!

LMAO!

Some other comments from other users:

Also, I just read through 9 pages of that Neo Geo thread. Well, the six first pages and the three last pages. My Lord that guy is a d-bag.

---

Seems like the original post was nitpicking but not mentioning the slowdown in MS 2 and not mentioning the original developers of the series are both pretty grave oversights.

Holy shit is that dude a douchebag though.

---

good read up till about page 9, then I started just skipping through. RevStu is a douche.

---

Wow, what a fucking baby. It's great to know that the premiere games journalist (lol) in the UK can take time out of his busy day to defend himself on an internet message board by calling people cunts.

---

I don't have anything to say about his abilities as a writer, but I do agree that his attitude is highly unprofessional. He treated the posters at NeoGeo.com as though forum posters are entirely divorced from the people who buy the magazine, when that's not true at all. Darren tried to control the damage, but Stuart delights in fanning the flames.

Taking an issue with criticism is acceptable, as every writer is going to be criticized at some time or another. It's important though, to try and explain to the reader what's in doubt without losing your cool like he did. Stu did nothing but cripple his own argument with his insults and flaming. He adopts an "I don't care what you think" attitude, but everyone knows it's not true. Someone who doesn't care about reader opinion wouldn't spend pages on the Internet arguing about his article.

---

Finally, this one made me chuckle:

Oh god, the neo geo snerds on that forum. Reeeaaaally mature. That forum is infamous. The author of the article put that snerd in his place, but he made the big mistake of loosing his cool/tact (which that forum will jump all over you for like a pack of jackel-nerds).

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cool. Thanks Steve.

Where'd you get all that?

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
From the mind of Stuart Campbell:

stu.jpg

"Hello. My name is Stuart Campbell, and I would like to talk to you about rape, specifically "e-rape". I know you're all probably thinking, "Rape? Rape's hilarious!". You're so very wrong. It's difficult being a terrible "professional video game writer". At 41 years of age, I'm suffering from a combination of osteoporosis, and mild retardation. I simply can't take the e-rape anymore.

Recently, I suffered a rather serious case of e-rape from the folks at Neo-Geo.com. After crying myself to sleep for a couple days, I decided to tell someone. I've permanently lost the ability to sit down, but somehow managed to survive the attack. It is extremely difficult to look at myself in the mirror, because all I see is a no-talent, dirty "Stu-Whore".

Please, if you think you've been e-raped, seek counseling **LIKE I DID**."

Neo-Geo.com: The definitive source of e-rape.

Mai-bukkake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No offense to anyone, but that term is fucking retarded.

Sexy nerds are usually called 'sexerds'.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
"Britain's best games journalist"
- Need To Know

Fuck, I'd hate to see Britain's worst.

Neogeofan12

Banned
He can talk good shit when he wants to:

"Giving something like SWOS [Sensible World of Soccer] 95% is utterly devalued if you also give, for example, Rise of the Robots [a famously overhyped fighting game, rated 5% by the magazine] 92%. Percentage ratings are meaningless unless you use the full range, and you can't give credit where it's due if you're pretending that everything's good. What encouragement does that give developers to produce quality? They might as well knock it out at half the cost and in a third of the time if they're only going to get another 3% for doing it properly. Of course, the market will die much faster if people get continually stiffed by crap games, but hey - there's always another machine to move to and start the cycle again."

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Awesome, I leave for a day and there are 150 more posts.

I can't believe the 5 levels in Metal Slug thing went missed for so long. Now I've missed my chance and they're worn out from all the mummy talk. They don't seem to be coming back to talk about a simple factual error of numbers. :(

Neogeofan12

Banned
I lol:

"Stuart Campbell first entered the world of videogaming in 1977, when he won a home Pong console in a competition he didn't enter held in a town he hadn't visited. He was the UK's National Videogames Champion in 1988 (having previously won the Scottish title), and a member of the UK's winning European Videogame Championship team in Paris in 1990, subsequently retiring from competition undefeated "to give everyone else a chance"."

http://www.123exp-biographies.com/t/00031178699/

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Cool. Thanks Steve.

Where'd you get all that?

Sega-16's boards. They're pretty well known to support Retro Gamer Magazine (there's a sticky thread about RG there), but not a whole lot to support when this Stuart fiasco came to their attention.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
I feel that it is necessary to say, that this was by far the best drama we have had around here since neogumby got out.

This asshole goes all over the internet to stir shit up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metal-slug-7-review/comments

Look at his shit ass comments on a negative review of MS7. He shits up every site he visits.

"Oh, grow the fuck up. I have no respect for anyone who thinks Metal Slug 3 is a good game, and even less interest in pretending otherwise. If you don't want anyone to ever call you names, you might want to think about avoiding the internet entirely." ...Stuart "RevStu" Campbell

lol at the videogame 'champion' who plainly dislikes MS3 because it's just too damn hard.

Last edited:

nam1972

Banned
Crikey.

I am amused that at one point, Stu is described as being the sort of Englishman who would casually use the word 'Paki' in conversation. Firstly because this goes to show that they really haven't done their research. Secondly, because within the first couple of pages, someone casually uses the word 'nigga'. You wacky Canadians!

The thread is only a handful of pages in before the self-congratulatory forumite back-slapping begins, as it always does. I especially liked, "Stu was a writer with a strong rep, but Neo-Geo.Com tore him down. No worries mate, you're not the first, nor the last." I've not seen such a laughably premature call on victory since 2000, in Florida.

It takes only a few pages for the argument to turn from "Stu is unprofessional, he has not done his research", to anal disagreements over what does or does constitute a zombie. This is especially amusing, in light of those accusations of childishness, particularly when later, Stu is taken to task for given an example of a popular movie which supports his argument. How foolish, when Professor Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Zombies" is still so widely available. That Stu did not read every available text-book on zombism before writing his guide to the Metal Gear series ('Yes, I know. But it IS funny' - Ed.), is truly inexcusable - that kind of research is basic, man. Rendered moot of course by mummies being a type of zombies, but still, inexcusable.

To quote 'lithy', "When in recorded history have you seen a bandage wrapped zombie that can be killed by another bandage wrapped zombie with additional contact from their expelled fluids?" Sir, I ask, when you have seen one that cannot? Perhaps some of us have just lived fuller lives than thee.

Apparently Stu should not be disgracing Retrogamer (of which he is suddenly a staff member), because now, see, a group of forumites who admit to not buying the magazine, won't buy it. Those that are aware that magazines are still printed on paper, that is, which seems to not be many, judging by the comments. How ironic that so many of them would throw around accusations of childishness, when they themselves don't seem to have even left the house in years. That would the hyper-obesity's fault I suppose - the only place you'll see more slowdown than Metal Slug 2 is in watching the typical Neo-Geo forumite trying to get out of a chair.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
nam1972
Timid Neo Newbie

post[field6]

Okay Stu...

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Ooo, it's about to get fired up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.