Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My original question was about Oli's comment about Soukyugurentai.

He sure meant Souky. In Garegga not everything raises rank: dying lowers it, which is a legit part of the gameplay. An homage to the Japanese WWII air force heritage? It just might, since in most other STG's intentional suicide is blessed by its score relevance.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
He sure meant Souky. In Garegga not everything raises rank: dying lowers it, which is a legit part of the gameplay. An homage to the Japanese WWII air force heritage? It just might, since in most other STG's intentional suicide is blessed by its score relevance.
so dying in Ibara with the big smartbomb explosion at the end is a homage to Kamikaze ? I don´t think so

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
so dying in Ibara with the big smartbomb explosion at the end is a homage to Kamikaze ? I don´t think so

I don't know Ibara that well, no love for Danmakus here, but getting rewarded for suicide in a Japanese game doesn't surprise me at all. My opinion surpasses kamikaze pilots and also covers seppuku/harakiri rituals, as well as it includes Japanese life philosophy expressed in all their "the end is a new beginning" axioms. It's a whole new concept to acknowledge death as something more worth than life, certainly as something more honorable.

In games like V-V or Garegga, you get rewarded, thus honored, for committing suicide (the game gets easier), but punished for persisting to play with one life only (difficulty increases hellishly). In other games you get high scores through milking, but they get even higher, if you, instead of destroying your foe, destroy yourself and reiterate your fight.

You may call my examples too specific, but even if we look at games from a general point of view, they all hail death by letting your experience grow with each passed life, till you mastered the game. And your price? A "Game Over", or simply death again, but this time its ultimate form.

So in the end, all creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of playing games. A very Japanese way. And if you disagree with my kamikaze comparison, then only because you perceive suicide pejoratively. But that's just not the way Japanese developers do.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I don't know Ibara that well, no love for Danmakus here, but getting rewarded for suicide in a Japanese game doesn't surprise me at all. My opinion surpasses kamikaze pilots and also covers seppuku/harakiri rituals, as well as it includes Japanese life philosophy expressed in all their "the end is a new beginning" axioms. It's a whole new concept to acknowledge death as something more worth than life, certainly as something more honorable.

In games like V-V or Garegga, you get rewarded, thus honored, for committing suicide (the game gets easier), but punished for persisting to play with one life only (difficulty increases hellishly). In other games you get high scores through milking, but they get even higher, if you, instead of destroying your foe, destroy yourself and reiterate your fight.

You may call my examples too specific, but even if we look at games from a general point of view, they all hail death by letting your experience grow with each passed life, till you mastered the game. And your price? A "Game Over", or simply death again, but this time its ultimate form.

So in the end, all creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of playing games. A very Japanese way. And if you disagree with my kamikaze comparison, then only because you perceive suicide pejoratively. But that's just not the way Japanese developers do.
9a14be988f33486d460d417bb6f91ec1a2a1084c443d14026cc4c88e1a1c8315.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This biblical amount of sarcasm could kill a horde of Elephants alone, not to mention that simple slob from sector 7-G (yours truly). In this case, you're indeed a master.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Mushihimesama Futari- 360

If I were to attempt a 1cc, what would be the best version to go after?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Novice mode 1.5 Original on Easy. :keke:

Legit answer: Black Label Original Mode.

Chempop

Shitclearing Ibara and DDP for the hell of it. These two never get old for me.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Been playing through Last Resort recently. I'll aim for just one loop first, then think about a 2-all, but it seems pretty reasonable so far.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Playing some Battle Garegga, getting the hang of scoring a bit.

1dda4441917050f235f0f317710f8232.jpg

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Playing Raiden a lot on PCE huey such a fantastic port of the arcade and very challenging as well. Made it to stage 5 boss today before loosing a life.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
finished dodonpachi and started mars matrix. i think i prefer giga wing over dodonpachi. have to play giga wing again to be certain, but i always loved the presentation of capcom's excellent shooter .

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Zanac Neo. Excellent game, quite easy, too, once you get all three red Landers in the first stage. The Player's Note is very funny, anyone did a no item clearing, yet?

Chempop

After shit clearing Ibara with all 4 Dyne types this weekend I decided to switch back to Bond.

Played one credit tonight and BAM :vik:

29013403505_8e46399991_b.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finally checking out the Battle Mania / Trouble shooter games.

Daiginjo is better, but not that much tho. The trash appeal of both reminds me of Mega-CD titles like Bari-arm, which is right up my alley.

P.S. Don't forget to hold "C" on the second player pad, while starting Battle Mania ;).

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Daiginjo is better, but not that much tho. The trash appeal of both reminds me of Mega-CD titles like Bari-arm, which is right up my alley.

P.S. Don't forget to hold "C" on the second player pad, while starting Battle Mania ;).

Just tried out both Trouble Shooter and Battle Mania and yeah i am digging it. Really like the graphics, the gameplay, the music....speaking of which, is the sound track a bit different? Feels like Battle Mania had a different and better menu theme. Just did one level since i want to play through it with a stick and i havent built it yet.

btw I did remember to hold C but it was with Trouble Shooter of the game i guess. I'll test it out next time i boot the other one.