Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks Chem. I will flat out admit that there is no way in hell I could ever beat the second loop of a psikyo game without tons of save-state practice. I'm just not good enough to be able to pull that off. I'm not sure how anyone was ever able to clear them back in the day before save states, obviously these guys had unbelievable skills that I could never touch.

I do admire that you have beaten so many games without the aid of save states and I respect your stance against them. I used to follow the same guidelines but I just kind of got sucked into "if you can't beat em, join em" mentality and caved into using them like most people do. Even to this day I still have mad respect for people that don't use them.

Saving states is great. At first I thought WTF that's lame but it was Chempop that told me even the best players use save states. I've done it with a few games and managed to clear them but to me they still don't count for a 1CC although the progress is so much smoother that way, you just get better by default which is always a good thing.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I do understand that in order to reach the top it's a valuable, no, required method of practice for most people.
It's still very difficult for me to accept it as anything other than 'practicing using cheats', and to a lesser degree even stage practice in the console ports is borderline (but at least those are put in place by the programer).

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I do understand that in order to reach the top it's a valuable, no, required method of practice for most people.
It's still very difficult for me to accept it as anything other than 'practicing using cheats', and to a lesser degree even stage practice in the console ports is borderline (but at least those are put in place by the programer).

Don't the Strikers PCB have some sort of debug/stage select mode? I remember someone on the shmups forum talking about practicing the second loop using it for Strikers II. Not sure about Strikers 1.

Funny thing is the ports of Strikers are even harder to practice the second loop since you get an instant game over instead of being allowed to feed credits and there is no stage select lol.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Just had a pop on Hawkeye c64 disk vers....& my all time fave Delta C64 disk vers...mighty rarez i guess for that diskette.

Just got done with some Darius Gaiden on the Saturn this afternoon... was thinking of whipping out some Deathsmiles on the 360 but can't find the damn thing

Chempop

BOOMBA!!!

25757539064_0cdc1aeeb8_b.jpg

5th on SCHUMPS :buttrock:

Chempop

icon_pubjoe_clap.gif

Congrats, now try for all rank3 w/EX stage!

Chempop

Haha, you're right, congratulating him was a little premature since he probably used mixed rank and skipped the EX stage. Damn n00bs.

#GGTG

p.s. Split is alright :)

I treated myself to a copy of Sturmwind this week and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It's already one of my favorites for the Dreamcast. My favorite of the homebrew shmup releases by NG Dev/Hucast. :)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm always a whore for Darius Burst. However, since I've started my NG collection, I've started to play the NG shmups a lot more. Probably play some Andro Dunos today.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
I'm always a whore for Darius Burst. However, since I've started my NG collection, I've started to play the NG shmups a lot more. Probably play some Andro Dunos today.

I'm on the look out for Last Resort, though from what I've heard it gets mixed reviews.

Chempop

I treated myself to a copy of Sturmwind this week and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It's already one of my favorites for the Dreamcast. My favorite of the homebrew shmup releases by NG Dev/Hucast. :)

It isn't by NG:dev/hucast.

I'm going to let you put two and two together to complete that thought.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm on the look out for Last Resort, though from what I've heard it gets mixed reviews.

Mixed reviews??? Unless, of course, you are talking about the Mars brothel... I know, there's a better place down there. The girls are cleaner and the liquor ain't watered down.