Car Enthusiast Thread

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It's a mustang. There will be fans of every generation.
I actually think the modern retro style is very well done.

I've lost track of all the special editions though. My friend had a Bullet that was pretty slick.

Maybe, I know the Mustang will always be popular. I guess my point was just that when that design was new, I didn't think twice about it. Shit, I thought better of the first half 4th gen body SN-195?. The one that followed the fox body, with the smoother lines and all that, but those look a lot more dated now than the facelift models that went into the 2000s.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maybe, I know the Mustang will always be popular. I guess my point was just that when that design was new, I didn't think twice about it. Shit, I thought better of the first half 4th gen body SN-195?. The one that followed the fox body, with the smoother lines and all that, but those look a lot more dated now than the facelift models that went into the 2000s.

I'll say it again...to drive one was to love one.

Take in mind, everything I'm going to say is pertaining to stock cars...once you mod something, all bets are off. I also won't address power because that too is irrelevant.

Being the age that I am, I was a Foxbody kid. I drooled over the early 90's foxbodys before getting my license in 1993. Until I drove one.

The foxbody is clunky, hard to control and flexy. Stock brakes are god awful and the driving position is ok at best. While I still love the foxbody, it would take serious work to make one good.

When the SN95 was first released, I despised it...and still do. BUT...once I drove one, I "got it". They are fun to drive and are predictable. Braking is good enough and you can throw them around pretty well. The dash is a bit tall but driving position is acceptable. The changes in '99 only made them better. I'll go on record again stating that the '03/04 Mach 1 is one of the most well rounded "muscle cars" I've ever driven. Fast enough with enough brake and just that touch of being slightly out of control. You can throw it around and it will swing all over the place but never in a dangerous manner. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really loved driving that thing. It's sad it was so overshadowed by the insanity machine that is the Terminator. This was the thing I loved about my GTO...it was raw enough to be a performance car and predictable enough to throw around and thrash on. I'll always say it, the GTO was a bland ass car to look at, but amazingly fun to drive. Too bad mine was a hunk of shit and spent more time in repair than it did on the street.

Now...that's where my Mustang driving ends...mostly. I did drive an '06 Mustang GT with an manual trans and I have to say it was one of the most milquetoast, uninspiring vehicles I've driven in years. It was way more refined than the previous model but those refinements manifested in a bland, predicable, almost boring drive experience.

Truth be told...I really have zero interest in the last gen. I do like the look of the new cars and wonder how they are to drive.

In all honesty...I have fallen in love with the Challenger. While I'll say they are a hog of a car, they are fun to drive. A friend had a 2010 RT manual and it was a blast. Not much refinement but it had that "something". All joking aside, unless the Mustang really "wow'd" me, I'd probably get a new Challenger if I was in the market for a performance car.

But...I'm not. I'm too much in love with my truck. 5" of snow last week and 3" last night just keep on reminding me how much I love the thing. It's big, its "manly", it hauls shit and is a 4x4. It gives me a ton of confidence as a driver, especially with good tires. If I had the $$ to have two cars, I'd have a garage queen but figuring I don't...I'd take my truck any day of the week.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
In the spirit of lithys new edge mustang post, I'd like to highlight another car from the late 90s/early 2000s that seems to be growing on me for some reason...

the 550 maranello
f63225.jpg

Back in the day I never gave 2 flying fucks about them because A) they are for rich people and B) it looked like a cross between a Supra and a c5 vette with a silly body kit thrown on.

But now, I'm not so sure....
I think the prices are bottoming out at an almost "attainable" 50-60k range, it was the last ferrari with a true stickshift, and that wedge shape of the car is really growing on me...nothing boisterous or obnoxious like those 80s ferraris, this one looks really reserved and straightforward in its design....it almost looks "german" to me for some reason.

But I better start handing out resumes at fucking Ricart Nissan if I ever hope to make enough for one, though. =( :help:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm seeing a lot of recent exotics at attainable prices. Upkeep is not the end of the world if you stay on top of it. Older Bentley continetnal GT's can easily be found ~$50k, with about $3k yr in maintenance.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm seeing a lot of recent exotics at attainable prices. Upkeep is not the end of the world if you stay on top of it. Older Bentley continetnal GT's can easily be found ~$50k, with about $3k yr in maintenance.

Yeah 3k is no big deal! A while back I was getting my car serviced at a mercedes dealership and I saw a 2011 c63 amg for about 45k....I thought it was pretty neat, but really: whats another 10k for an older (and much cooler/less common) exotic?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
In the spirit of lithys new edge mustang post, I'd like to highlight another car from the late 90s/early 2000s that seems to be growing on me for some reason...

the 550 maranello
View attachment 22038

Back in the day I never gave 2 flying fucks about them because A) they are for rich people and B) it looked like a cross between a Supra and a c5 vette with a silly body kit thrown on.

But now, I'm not so sure....
I think the prices are bottoming out at an almost "attainable" 50-60k range, it was the last ferrari with a true stickshift, and that wedge shape of the car is really growing on me...nothing boisterous or obnoxious like those 80s ferraris, this one looks really reserved and straightforward in its design....it almost looks "german" to me for some reason.

But I better start handing out resumes at fucking Ricart Nissan if I ever hope to make enough for one, though. =( :help:

Been watching the 550 for a while but they're still minimum £65k ($100k) over here. Maybe worth looking into doing an import - I've thought about it before.

Anyone driven a car with the wheel on the 'wrong side' for any length of time? I've been told it's something you get used to very quickly but I remain wary.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Been watching the 550 for a while but they're still minimum £65k ($100k) over here. Maybe worth looking into doing an import - I've thought about it before.

Anyone driven a car with the wheel on the 'wrong side' for any length of time? I've been told it's something you get used to very quickly but I remain wary.

Sitting on the wrong side is one thing...but shifting with the other arm? And the position of the clutch/gas reversed??
Fuck...I get dizzy just thinking about it.

The Cerberra speed six had me considering the idea, but after reading up on Canadas ultra faggy transportation laws, I gave up on that idea pretty quickly.

EDIT: but if you're set on a 550, then importing might be the only option....even if you had the money, they only made like 400 RHD maranellos. =(

Last edited:

StevenK

10 Year Member
Sitting on the wrong side is one thing...but shifting with the other arm? And the position of the clutch/gas reversed??
Fuck...I get dizzy just thinking about it.

The Cerberra speed six had me considering the idea, but after reading up on Canadas ultra faggy transportation laws, I gave up on that idea pretty quickly.

EDIT: but if you're set on a 550, then importing might be the only option....even if you had the money, they only made like 400 RHD maranellos. =(

Hmm, that could be why they're so much more expensive here I guess. Sucks being RHD, the only car building country of any note that's native to RHD is Japan so more exotic cars are often more expensive in the UK.

Imagine how fucked up it would be when you cross borders and have to change from one side to the other - Thailand is a good example. That must play with your mind for a while.

lithy

20 Year Member
Nick's Caterham is wrong hand drive maybe he can give some input. Although even then, I'd imagine its easier the smaller the car gets, so an old RHD Jag on American roads might be trickier than the Seven.

The only thing that I've heard is tough to do from the wrong side is crossing the yellow line to pass on a two lane road. I've seen it suggested that in this instance as long as you have a passenger you dip them out into oncoming traffic and if they scream it isn't clear to pass yet...

As for the Ferrari, nothing worse than an 'affordable' super car IMO. The 550 does look pretty good though, as a Spider it looked like shit.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Nick's Caterham is wrong hand drive maybe he can give some input. Although even then, I'd imagine its easier the smaller the car gets, so an old RHD Jag on American roads might be trickier than the Seven.

The only thing that I've heard is tough to do from the wrong side is crossing the yellow line to pass on a two lane road. I've seen it suggested that in this instance as long as you have a passenger you dip them out into oncoming traffic and if they scream it isn't clear to pass yet...

As for the Ferrari, nothing worse than an 'affordable' super car IMO. The 550 does look pretty good though, as a Spider it looked like shit.

Affordable is pretty subjective!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...I may have narrowed down the search for my wife's next car. She currently drives this:

image_zpsdaaa7857.jpg

It's a 2013 Impreza hatch premium. Besides her accident in the thing this time last year, it has been a solid car. It handles superbly in the snow, even with stock tires and averages at a minimum of 30mpg.

With that said...it was never meant to be her car...it was meant to be my car. It was purchased as a commuter for me but because she drives 35mi a day and I drive 10, I took her 2009 Honda Accord V6 and she drives the Subaru (the Accord got 19-20mpg ave). We also intentionally bought a hatch so we could fit some med sized cargo in the back should we have to transport something, the Accord's trunk wasn't all that accommodating. We traded the Accord last Feb on my '14 Ram 1500...which as many here know, I adore the thing. Given the utility of the truck, we can now haul damn near anything we want.

Either way...I have been searching for a new car for her and was pretty set on the Outback...but the price of the car kinda turned me off to the thing. So...I turned my attention to the Forester. After doing some reading/looking, I think we're going to look for a '14/15 Forester 2.0XT premium. They sticker new at $30K, the "touring" package sets you back another $5K and all it adds is leather and nav...two things we don't give a shit about.

What I really love is the engine...that 2.0 turbo is a vast improvement over the 2.5 in the Forester or the 2.0L in our Impreza. Our Impreza is rated at (hp/tq) 148/145, a Forrester 2.5 is rated at 170/174 and the 2.0T is rated at 250/258. So that's a significant difference in engine "umph". It doesn't take a big hit on mpg either.

To top it off...it's a really nice looking vehicle in that XT trim:

4ac976229dc444e89e8381482761d78a.jpg

It will take some time...but I'm going to try to seek one out...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
My mechanic friend was searching for about a year for a fullsize hatchback for his wife. He settled on a used Mitsubishi Lancer Hatchback based on everything he found. All the other ones apparently has minor issues that he didn't like (Sub, Volvo, Mazda

Looks pretty unique and clean. I would never have known about it.

lithy

20 Year Member
Not sure what you mean...you talking about this?

I guess let me put it this way. There are so many cars that would be fantastic to own. Unfortunately parts for a car that originally stickered for 200k are not the same as the car that sells for 50k new even if you pay for 50k for the used supercar.

And a 'reliable' Ferrari means one that gives you only 6 headaches a year while putting under 5k miles on it per year. I guess a better way to say this is that someone who has owned several Ferrari's and reports that the 550 is 'reliable' might have a different tolerance for typical exotic finicky-ness than the person who barely even bothers to change the oil in their Honda Accord.

Then, I would want to work on my own car. With certain 'collector item' type cars, the lack of dealer or reputable indy shop work hurts the resale value of the car.

I always have to laugh a little bit at people that bitch about dealer pricing when they are taking their car in to have them swap out a battery or replace a headlight bulb, but in the case of exotics I kind of sympathize.

If you could really get a 550, I'd tell you awesome, go for it. I'm sure it would be an experience. I would just say to overplan for the costs and if you come in under the mark that's a bonus. Don't go in needing to spend less than 3k in maintenance per year or you'll be in the poorhouse because one major service will wreck your budget.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
One of my friends had an older Forester XT and he loved that thing to death. Right now I drive a Saab 9-2x Aero, aka a WRX, and really didn't think the thing would win me over. But the more and more I drive it, I like it. Coming from someone who's only driven V8 RWD muscle cars their entire life. Kinda nice to not always be deep into the power, but you have some juice when you need it with the turbo. Plus in the snow they are really wonderful.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I guess let me put it this way....

I get you and I agree 100%

I paid only 16.5k CDN for my little old garage princess and the stupid shit that comes with it is pretty manageable.
Any more BS than that and I'd just say "fuck it" and buy a Toyota though.

The only way I'd blow 70k on a car is if I was making twice that amount every year (so never).

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Any e30 BMW fans out there? I have two of them, both 325is cars. I think it's one of the last truly great cars that BMW made.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I think it's one of the last truly great cars that BMW made.

lol.

They're a bit too boxy for my taste but I'm not judging...on bimmerforums I've seen some really pampered examples that seem pretty neat.

I think BMW made plenty of great cars since then, but after the e36 they cluttered them up with too much tech.... making them nice to drive but shitty to own.

Especially with those new m3s and m4s: finally taking a page from the mercedes book of cheap tricks and using car audio to reproduce the aural feedback and thrilling sound of a good exhaust note.
Which is just fucking sad and totally misses the point of what BMW (and m division used to be all about).

:(

Last edited:

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
lol.

They're a bit too boxy for my taste but I'm not judging...on bimmerforums I've seen some really pampered examples that seem pretty neat.

I think BMW made plenty of great cars since then, but after the e36 they cluttered them up with too much tech.... making them nice to drive but shitty to own.

Especially with those new m3s and m4s: finally taking a page from the mercedes book of cheap tricks and using car audio to reproduce the aural feedback and thrilling sound of a good exhaust note.
Which is just fucking sad and totally misses the point of what BMW (and m division used to be all about).

:(

The main thing that makes the e30 so great is it's lack of tech stuff. No traction control or drivers assistance crap. Just big motor in a little car. The worst thing about them is the price and cost of maintenance. A 1990 e30 m3 is now breaking the $40,000 mark.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The boxy brick styling is a whole different story. You just need to be in to that kind of thing.

You never know with my tastes...for all I know it might be several years (or even decades!) before I "get" them.

I totally feel you on the beauty of low tech, rwd, true stick shift cars...like playing records on a turntable it's outdated but people keep coming back to seek out the experience of owning and operating such machinery.

Almost becomes a "ritual" more than anything.

lithy

20 Year Member
Well, since there is fuck all going on either in chat or the forums tonight. I'll post some bigass American steel land yachts. Lincoln has no idea what the fuck they need to be, and it seems like Cadillac wants to be a BMW/Merc competitor, so their 'flagship' is disappointingly small. Of course, I guess I doubt they could meet CAFE standards with 6000lb leviathans on wheels. Oh well. And more convertibles! Where are all the damn convertibles?

1963 Conti Convertible
Lincoln.1963.Continental.Convertible.001.jpg

2003 Caddilac Sixteen Concept, what they should be building
2003-cadillac-sixteen-concept-7.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Haven't seen anything posted on this yet:

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

Being borderline obsessive about the Ariel Atom, but knowing that thing is WAY out of my price range...this thing seems like something I can actually afford.

I have been reading about this thing for weeks, reading reviews, watching videos. It seems like the Mazda MX-5/Subaru BRZ approach. Not blistering fast Atom style, but great handling and "enough" umph to get the job done in real world driving situations.

For those not aware of this thing, it has a GM 2.4L 4cyl and 5-speed manual trans, 173hp. Curb weight of 1743lbs.

$20K in stock form. Vehicle is licensed as a motorcycle.

I am HIGHLY interested in one of these. I'm definitely going to sit back a bit and see how they pan out...but I can see myself looking hard into one in a few years.

I went and looked at one in person Friday...they're even cooler in person.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
That looks like a good compromise for that price. It's no KTM xbow or Ariel Atom, but a decent entry price. The style is better than the Campagna T-Rex too.
It's definitely not a great handling machine with that configuration, but the benefit is they can get away calling it a motorcycle. That rear wheel is gonna lose traction all day. Maintenance and parts look super simple.

When the price goes down, I'd much rather have a Morgan 3 wheeler. They command a premium at the moment, but they will likely drop in a few years. A real motocycle engine and classic styling.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah, even with a good power/weight ratio, one back wheel isn't going to put the power down and the light weight won't help either.

lightweight, not very aerodynamic....hmmmm.....

I have my doubts on how well planted it would be on the twisties as well....promo vids are obviously making it look like a bullet on rails.
Who knows though....maybe it is?