Neo Geo CD -> Consolized MVS

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Been working on a consolized MVS over the past 3-4 weeks off and on. Mostly waiting for parts to make their way to my mailbox. The Neo CD is a fairly tight fit for this project, but I really like the look of it once it is done. :D Just finished it this weekend, here are some pics:

action.jpg

Here it is in action, playing some MotW.

front.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the unit from the front.

top.jpg

From the top with no cart, you can see some of the wiring and the pcb, so I'll just keep a cart in at all times to keep the dust out.

back.jpg

Here is the back of the unit. I used RCA/S-video connectors that were part of the original NeoCD for the project. Just desoldered them from the NeoCD pcb they were on and wired them up to the jrok and MV-1C. The square button is a pause button, red is service and there is a black test button hiding behind the PS cable.

inside.jpg

Here are the insides, not as clean as I wanted things to look, but not too bad... ;)

A big thank to NGT for answering alot of my questions and helping me figure out what I wanted to do and how with this project!

PS - The NeoCD used for this project was dead before I chopped it up... ;)

Last edited:

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
That's actually... really, really nice. I usually stay out of these threads because I've got nothing to add, but I've gotta give this props!

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Thanks for the compliments! It was pretty fun to put together, but a little frustrating too at times. Finally really got the hang of soldering towards the end of the project... I guess I'll be alot better at it the next time I try something like this though. :D

Was thinking about trying to solder a uni bios to this guy, but I am not really considering that now. Would love to have it in there, but really don't think that I can trust myself to pull that off now that I have messed around with soldering a bit... ;)

Need to submit this to SGR now...

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Seriously, that turned out fuckin great!!! I am envious! :D

Awesome job!! :buttrock:

Edit: oh, and I left my bios alone too. Socket bios are one thing, but I am not de-soldering mine either,lol.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:
Thanks for the compliments! It was pretty fun to put together, but a little frustrating too at times. Finally really got the hang of soldering towards the end of the project... I guess I'll be alot better at it the next time I try something like this though. :D

Was thinking about trying to solder a uni bios to this guy, but I am not really considering that now. Would love to have it in there, but really don't think that I can trust myself to pull that off now that I have messed around with soldering a bit... ;)

Need to submit this to SGR now...

You could always solder a socket on the board so you can switch out your bios with ease. Getting the UniBios is a must. By the way, nice job!

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Lagduf said:
You could always solder a socket on the board so you can switch out your bios with ease. Getting the UniBios is a must. By the way, nice job!

Where would I get a socket that would work well for this? I have seen the method on the unibios web site ( http://unibios.free.fr/soldered/ ). Is this what you mean or is there a socket that can be purchased rather than made like this one? Thanks.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Simply awesome! :)

Now I wish I didn't throw out my extra NeoCD system when it broke. :(

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:
Where would I get a socket that would work well for this? I have seen the method on the unibios web site ( http://unibios.free.fr/soldered/ ). Is this what you mean or is there a socket that can be purchased rather than made like this one? Thanks.

Yikes haven't seen that method before. Some mad soldering skills there. Uhm i think you can buy a socket that will fit the unibios chip, you'd just need to know what kind of chip it is (model number?) which im not familiar with. I'm for certain someone here knows.

Curt

apostate
Looks very nice, I like the look as opposed to other Actual Neo Geo Hardware -> Consolized MVS's. IE the AES system... Yours has a very sleek look to it. (as far as Consolized MVS's go)

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Lagduf said:
Yikes haven't seen that method before. Some mad soldering skills there. Uhm i think you can buy a socket that will fit the unibios chip, you'd just need to know what kind of chip it is (model number?) which im not familiar with. I'm for certain someone here knows.

Hehehe my thoughts exactly. ;) Didn't realize how hard and big of a pain that would be until I soldered some other not so tiny pieces. I'll have to see if I can find anything about a socket that could be soldered on to the board...

Thanks everyone else! :mr_t:

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
dam that is awesome great work :buttrock:

p.s. to bad the cd part does not work it would have been way cool to play both cd and mvs on one system :tickled:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
redrum666 said:
dam that is awesome great work :buttrock:

p.s. to bad the cd part does not work it would have been way cool to play both cd and mvs on one system :tickled:

Thanks! Would have been cool, but there is no way you could fit the mvs in there with the guts of the Neo CD in there... I took everything out of the the case from the original system then desoldered the av inputs, db15 connectors and cut out part of the front base of the console to mount the db15's on and pretty much all of the empty space after that was all removed was still just a bit more than adequate space for the MV-1C, Jrok, wiring and all. I have a fairly large box filled with stuff that I had to tear out of the the thing and being the packrat that I am it is now sitting in my basement... ;)

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Just in case you haven't already heard.... that's AWESOME work hehe. *THE* perfect shell for a consolized MVS imho.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Cool!:D At first I thought you had made a machine that played both Neo CD and MVS carts...phew..:D

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I just saw it, and it's the best console MVS I've seen. Was it hard to make?

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
snesaes said:
I just saw it, and it's the best console MVS I've seen. Was it hard to make?

Thanks snesaes :D , no not really hard at all... just took some learning about how to solder to make all the connections, a little studying about electronics to try and some what understand what I was doing and a little practice with the Dremel tool to get a tight slot for the cart opening.

I went into the project with nearly zero experience with electronics and it ended up taking me ~1 month to finish the project once I decided to do it and most of that one month consisted of waiting for things that I needed to come in the mail to start of the next step.

Make no mistake, consolized MVS is the way to go. I have put together a collection of 17 games in the past few months for about 1/10 of what it would cost going AES. And when I get around to getting a full on MVS 4-slot stand up in the future I'll have a collection of carts that can all be used for it too. :buttrock:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Cool, but the thing about those 1 slot's is that you can't play games like ROTD and I think some of the newer games too, not sure. Good work though!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'm just being picky, but wouldn't it be cool if you could get the little green led to light up during play?