OT Tech Help - System 32 - Golden Axe : Revenge Of Death Adder

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What kind of suicide method does the System 32 uses? I read on some websites that system32 employed an Suicide Battery hidden in 1 of the component. I checked my system32 boardset but could not find such a component at all.

Before I dismiss my system32 as dead, I like to make sure it is not due to the suicide battery, what would I expect to see if it is suicide dead and is there any way I can revive it?

I have the World Version of Golden Axe, complete with the security board and communication board. What is the communication board use for? I have never need to use it.

MrSporty

n00b
The Sys32 uses a similar suicide method to the earlier Sys16 pcbs. On your rom board you will find a component labled FD1149 which contains a CR2032 equivalent lithium cell.

Board Pics

http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_system32.html

Security Module Pics

http://www.leopardcats.com/decrypt/decryption.htm

The comms board i would presume is used in games like F1 Exhaust Note and F1 Super Lap.

As far as recovery from suicide , your best bet would be to take a look at how mame handles the decryption and if its possible to use decryted roms.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Only some games use the FD1149, not all of them. GoldenAxe does not use it. GoldenAxe has the security board which has a V25 CPU used as a bootlegging prevention device(as if copying the System32 video mixer cheap was easy).

You should check your security board connections to make sure it's not a bad connection causing it not to boot. The comm board is just for the link up games as mentioned. There is encryption on GoldenAxe2, but it is not battery operated. It is done through the custom V25, so there is no key to be lost. the older GoldenAxe on System16 used the FD1094 CPU which would suicide though.

If it doesn't work and you decide to get rid of it, contact me, as I would like a System32 board to try to fix a broken one a friend has.

Last edited:

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yes, Reznor007 is right, I check the board, it does has a V25 NEC CPU on the security board and does NOT have the FDXXXX chip anywhere on the boardset.

In this case, I can rule out suicide dead on the boardset.

I will have the ROM set reburn and reinstall and see if I can get anything at all. I have already reflow the connector soldering but no help at all.

Currently, after my reflowing, I get a cracking sound from the speaker when the board is powered up and some raster on screen. The board was working when I stored it away many moons back, I just don't understand why its not working now.

Thank everyone! I really appreciate the informations!