No sound in games on MV2F. System sound test works fine.

Crowquill

n00b
I'm helping out a friend get his gold 2-slot working. We have a MV2F board that plays fine but has no audio in games. If we run the sound test from the system's test menu it works fine. Didn't see any obvious issues on the PCB, but the chip labeled NEO-E0 seems to be getting really hot.

We also have the original 2-slot PCB from the cabinet which has glitchy sprites, but the sound is fine, so I know the cabinet's wiring is OK.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Does the NEO-E0 chip also get hot on the glitchy board? if it has unibios, you can test the audio of the cart.

Regards.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
We also have the original 2-slot PCB from the cabinet which has glitchy sprites, but the sound is fine, so I know the cabinet's wiring is OK.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Can you post a pic of the graphical glitches?
If it's an MV2, it'll most certainly be addressed to a Neo-ZMC or Neo-257 chip(s) but it can be something else also.
I've had my share of issues with faulty MV2's... sigh

Crowquill

n00b
I'll post a pic of the glitchy graphics tonight. I'm thinking we checked the NEO-E0 on the original MV2 board and it was warm but not burn-your-finger hot like the one on the MV2F was.

lupin3rd

n00b
IMG_3624.JPG

Here's a post of the glitches on the MV2. You are correct that there appears to be trace damage near the Neo-ZMC2. The pins appear to be related to a multiplexing graphical address function. I think the pins in question are 1, 3, and then the 3rd from last pin and the last pin on the ZMC2.

lupin3rd

n00b
We're having a hard time figuring out which pins the ZMC2's pins are connecting to, and I can't seem to find a chip->chip pinout guide for the ZMC2 on that board.

The graphical glitches seem to be on the tile layers, as many of the still non-scrolling images appear to be fine. Puzzle Bobble is almost completely playable until you see the high score screen. It might be my imagination, but it seems as though the problem might get just a little worse after you've been playing for a while (like an hour or so).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Which pin numbers exactly do you need? ZMC2 is 80 pins.

lupin3rd

n00b
Thank you, I'm going to check those lines when I get home from work. After reading about the H and EVEN lines on the ZMC2, I think those might be suspect as well. If it isn't too much trouble, could I also get a lead on those? (Would they be connected to the B0 also?)

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wow a complete pinout of the zmc2 like xianxi did would be incredibly helpful.

lupin3rd

n00b
Should be something like:

ZMC2(1) - Neo-B1(46)
ZMC2(3) - Neo-B1(47)
ZMC2(79) - Neo-B1(44)
ZMC2(80) - Neo-B1(45)

I checked the other pinouts and made 1 patch, but it didn't resolve the issue. I was going to check these connections, but my board doesn't have a B1 -- did you mean B0 by chance?

lupin3rd

n00b
Wow a complete pinout of the zmc2 like xianxi did would be incredibly helpful.

Agreed! Xian Xi, you don't happen to have something that diagrams those pins do you? The neogeodev wiki is mostly helpful until you get to the Neo-ZMC2 on the MV2B board...