Missing sound on left stereo channel.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
On my six slot MVS cab, the left stereo channel is not producing any sound. I've tried it with different speakers (one of which is brand new and works on the right channel), but no luck.

Its definitely not outputting mono sound as the intro Neo-Geo jingle is clearly missing some notes that are played on the left channel.

I traced the cables for it and didn't see anything that was cut or loose. They all lead to the big MVS connector that goes to the board. I cleaned the connectors and the board connection, but no luck. One thing I did notice though is two pins on the board look kinda dark, and someone put solder on them.

Any ideas? Could that be the problem? I'll get a pic of it shortly.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Did you check the continuity of the speaker wires and GND. That would be a logical step, make sure there are no breaks.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Is there a way to check the continuity short of just visually tracing the wires and making sure there's no breaks or damage? I'm still fairly green when it comes to troubleshooting Neo hardware.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Any multimeter will have a continuity mode.
Or you could go ghetto with a battery and a bulb :)

Fygee

20 Year Member
Haha, curious about the ghetto method.

Methinks its time to invest in a multimeter.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Das bump. I purchased a multimeter and will be testing things out this weekend. I presume that with continuity testing it'll just tell me if there's a signal or not?

Someone on another Facebook group I'm on also suggested that one or more of the capacitors for sound may have gone bad on the board as well and a cap kit for those specific ones would be needed. Anyone ever experienced this?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yes. The Neo Geo boards are well known for having audio cap issues. I will be building more kits this weekend to put up on my site for sale.

RJ