(4/25/16) CloudGamerX's repair/projects thread

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That quote would be more inspirational if Thomas Edison wasn't such a scumbag.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Dude, that's a definitely a boot. You can tell from that booty label!.

Actually, i have gotten a legit Puzzle Bobble with a fake label before. It was using the shell from a King of Fighters 98, but it is a legit copy. Only problem for MVS collectors looking for a copy is that about 80% of Puzzle Bobbles are bootlegs, so even if the label looks real it is most likely a boot. But hey, at least they make for excellent donor carts for MVS repros ;)

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Labels don't determine authenticity.

Yeah true. Only reason I said that was because the boots I've come across usually have that type of label with the weird cursive "MVS" and the trademark stamp below it.

I have zero to little information on them, but were these used pretty frequently back in the day if labels fell off or were removed?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
He's obviously wasnt around for the yaton days...even with that join date.

The glory days of MVS collecting.

Yeah true. Only reason I said that was because the boots I've come across usually have that type of label with the weird cursive "MVS" and the trademark stamp below it.

I have zero to little information on them, but were these used pretty frequently back in the day if labels fell off or were removed?

I really doubt arcade ops gave a shit about labels BITD, it's really about replacing a totally busted label or putting a fake English label on a JP cart for the sake of convenience.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
He's obviously wasnt around for the yaton days...even with that join date.

Yeah, I wasn't unfortunately, but I have heard the horror stories lol. One guy told me there was literally dirt on the PCB that he had gotten. I clean all the dust and collected grime the carts once I get them, but that seems like it would need a heavy power wash lol.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yeah, I wasn't unfortunately, but I have heard the horror stories lol. One guy told me there was literally dirt on the PCB that he had gotten. I clean all the dust and collected grime the carts once I get them, but that seems like it would need a heavy power wash lol.

Dust and dirt cleans up. Garou was $45. Those were good times.

CloudGamerX

Kula's Candy
Some updates on projects:

Ghostlop - I am happy to report that i finally got it fully working! I was looking at a loose PROGTOP board I had in my spare parts box that I had salvaged from another Puzzle Bobble bootleg. What I noticed is out of all the boots I have obtained, this one wasn't tampered with at all in terms of accessing the higher address lines (no tampering with the PCM chip). So, just as a last ditch effort before I reprogrammed the V1, I moved all the chips to the PROGTOP board and left the jumper settings unaltered. Plugged it in and the sound is perfect! So now, I have a fully functional Ghostlop repro.

CMVS - Got it to power on, but the video is scrambled as hell. From plugging the bios chip into my working CMVS, I found that the bios chip is causing this odd video corruption. Which tells me, the bios might be bad. I will have to get a diagnostic bios and board to investigate further into this.

Last edited: