New Star Wars stuff announced

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Alright, so a bunch of shit was announced these last two days. Here is the known release schedule
August 31, 2022: Andor season 1 (Rogue One prequel, 12 episodes, already renewed for season 2; Tony Gilroy in charge)
Late 2022: The Bad Batch season 2
Late 2022: Tales of the Jedi (Filoni-led canonical animated anthology series; same art style as Bad Batch and Clone Wars)
Early 2023: Visions season 2 (non-canonical anime anthology series)
Early 2023: Young Jedi Adventures (Disney Junior animated show for kids 8 and under)
2023: Ahsoka season 1 (currently filming; Filoni leading, Favreau also involved)
2023: Skeleton Crew season 1 (in production; post ROTJ, stars Jude Law, Jon Watts and Christopher Ford are showrunners)
TBA: The Acolyte (in production; set 100 years before Phantom Menace, Leslye Headland in charge)
TBA: Lando (still haven't started production; Donald Glover returning from Solo; Justin Siemien is showrunner)

Any other shows that were once mentioned have been shelved. Some will be retooled, some will just be quietly abandoned.

Of the stuff we didn't already know about, Tales of the Jedi seems most interesting. It will consist of six episodes: three focus on Ahsoka Tano at different points in her life while a prime Count Dooku with an apprentice Qui-Gon Jinn will get the other three.

Skeleton Crew will be a coming of age show. Jude Law is playing mentor to four teenaged characters yet to be cast. We'll see how that goes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Skeleton Crew is a terrible name, is that a working title?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Skeleton Crew is a terrible name, is that a working title?
Unfortunately no. The working title was worse, though: apparently it was Grammar Rodeo

Some more details about Ahsoka:
Darth Vader, Hera Syndulla, and Chopper will appear
Every episode is written by Dave Filoni; he will direct the first episode and multiple others
Peter Ramsey, director of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, will direct at least one episode
Show will intentionally be more serialized and less episodic than Mandalorian or Boba Fett

Cast:
Ahsoka Tano - Rosario Dawson
Sabine Wren - Natashi Liu Bordizzo
Darth Vader - Hayden Christiansen
Chopper - Dave Filoni (voice)
Grand Admiral Thrawn - Ray Stevenson (actually just listed as "villainous admiral" but c'mon)
mystery role - Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Hera?)
mystery role - Ivanna Sakhno

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ahsoka the only show I’m interested in seeing though undoubtedly I’ll watch all the live action garbage.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Ahsoka the only show I’m interested in seeing though undoubtedly I’ll watch all the live action garbage.
Just watch Clone Wars and Rebels already. The only good live action stuff has all come from adapting stuff from those shows anyway.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Cast:

Grand Admiral Thrawn - Ray Stevenson (actually just listed as "villainous admiral" but c'mon)

What the fuck? I like Ray Stevenson, but he was played gloriously by Lars Mikkelsen. Why not just cast him and paint his ass blue?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Ep3, much disappoint, this is shaping up to be every bit as mediocre as Boba Fett.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is the sound on D+ incredibly low compared to all other streaming apps for you guys?

Sound in this 3rd episode is making me crazy.

Like I have to turn the volume up twice as loud as when I use Amazon and YouTube but this episode I could barely hear Obi-Wan and Leia, but then when it was say on the 3rd Sister the volume was way louder.

I’m probably just an old deaf idiot.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is the sound on D+ incredibly low compared to all other streaming apps for you guys?

Sound in this 3rd episode is making me crazy.

Like I have to turn the volume up twice as loud as when I use Amazon and YouTube but this episode I could barely hear Obi-Wan and Leia, but then when it was say on the 3rd Sister the volume was way louder.

I’m probably just an old deaf idiot.
It's not just you, I had the TV's volume turned up to like 80 watching this episode. When I'm watching normal TV it's usually in the teens or 20s. Could be something related to streaming compression, maybe.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I had to go to like 35-40 early on in episode and when it’s quiet I can comfortably watch something at like 9-12 on my tv.

Episode seemed to get louder as it went on but I was still at 25 when it ended.

Also this is waaay better than Boba Fett so far.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's better than Boba Fett but there's a really bad chase scene in every episode so far.

There's no reason Vader and those stormtroopers couldn't have killed Obi-Wan at the end of that episode. They just stood there and watched as a slow ass robot hobbled away with him.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I can only assume what was on fire would like stick to their armor…but yeah. They could have walked around it.

I guess it’s also no longer canon that the empire is xenophobic and against women?

There was a female stormtrooper.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
At least we’ve seen some more locations.

Disney is trying to milk that damn tatooine set of theirs for everything it’s worth.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Obi-Wan also seems to be horrible at disguises.

He knows everyone is looking for a Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi, so he puts on his Jedi robes, makes no effort to change his hair or beard, and tells everyone he's Ben Kenobi?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m surprised as many people know about the Jedi. I mean it’s only 10 years after RotS but still.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im enjoying it so far, and its nice to see "young" Vader, what with the torturing people in the streets and shit lol. He's a real bastard at this point in his life.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Im enjoying it so far, and its nice to see "young" Vader, what with the torturing people in the streets and shit lol. He's a real bastard at this point in his life.
He's been a real bastard since Attack of the Clones.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Kindof annoying. Obiwan is a Jedi master one of the best saber duelists ever and he never uses it or the force at all. I guess i understand weakening him down to give the series some tension but its too much for me and seems unbelievable.

What happened to that training he was supposed to be doing? Didnt he beat mauls ass in rebels? Didnt lucas also say he was stronger than vader in new hope? Now he can barely lift a 10 year old with the force and crawls around defending strikes from vader. Oh well.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Kindof annoying. Obiwan is a Jedi master one of the best saber duelists ever and he never uses it or the force at all. I guess i understand weakening him down to give the series some tension but its too much for me and seems unbelievable.

What happened to that training he was supposed to be doing? Didnt he beat mauls ass in rebels? Didnt lucas also say he was stronger than vader in new hope? Now he can barely lift a 10 year old with the force and crawls around defending strikes from vader. Oh well.
He intentionally suppressed his connection to the force in order to remain hidden. Yoda accomplished the same thing by hiding on Dagobah where a powerful dark side nexus (the creepy tree from Empire) served to mask his powerful light side connection. When Obi-Wan saved Leia he hasn't used the force in over a decade.

Rebels takes place after this so there's no inconsistencies there. It's obvious his connection to the force will grow through the series until he becomes the man we saw in Rebels and ANH.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
That would be a pretty satisfying progression to be honest. Hope it does go along that way. I mean it has to right? Im just blown away that his abilities have been nerfed that much and almost gives me flashbacks of luke in the sequels. And that gets me worried.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Vaders little Barad Dur tower in a field of lava is fucking stupid. But it’s in line with the cringe emo portrayal of Anakin in the prequels.

Is it actually Hayden in the suit with someone else doing the voice?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Vaders little Barad Dur tower in a field of lava is fucking stupid. But it’s in line with the cringe emo portrayal of Anakin in the prequels.

Is it actually Hayden in the suit with someone else doing the voice?
Yes, it's Hayden in the suit and James Earl Jones is listed in the credits.

And the Emperor gave him that planet to be a dick. Also, canonically, the Emperor had Vader's armor and prosthetics designed to be uncomfortable. Also because he's a dick.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For some reason I thought James Earl Jones was dead. That’s cool he is still involved.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Obi-Wan's weakness so far, but I'll give em a minute and see what they do. Have a feeling the return to form will be a bit too much of a 'flip of a switch' for me.

Also, why do I have a feeling that Leia is going to go all Robin Williams on Will Hunting on Third Sister.

"It's not your fault."