Finding offense where none exists, America's favorite pastime

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Huh? Colonialism was the de facto economic engine of Empire from approximately 1500 onward for all European powers. Colonialism has done untold harm to the world.
Has nothing to do with my assertion that people painting their face outside America isn't racist.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Has nothing to do with my assertion that people painting their face outside America isn't racist.
It doesn't mean it isn't, either.

I'd be skeptical of anyone doing it if they were from a former major European colonial power.

I mean blackface or some shit.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So what you are saying is that Golliwogs are only racist if they are in America.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What about when people pull the edge of thier eyelids to mock asiatics?

Is that like racist everywhere, or just in some countries?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So what you are saying is that the Black, Brown and indigenous people of Canada have no right to be offended by thier prime minister's actions?

That depends on whether he did it in 2000 or 1980. Major Hollywood motion pictures were still using blackface as a story maguffin in 1980. In 2000, yeah... bad look. Once again... context and nuance.

More generally, I was referring to East Asian countries taking shit for their portrayal of black and brown people despite never participating in African chattel slavery and having little to no access to American popular culture until 40 years ago (if not less). Expecting other countries to bend to your cultural and social norms is the definition of colonialism.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
More generally, I was referring to East Asian countries taking shit for their portrayal of black and brown people despite never participating in African chattel slavery and having little to no access to American popular culture until 40 years ago (if not less)

So you are conceding the "Colonialism" part?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Major Hollywood motion pictures were still using blackface as a story maguffin in 1980. In 2000, yeah... bad look. Once again... context and nuance.

People have been complaining about it well before then. Time doesn't make it less racist. Whether or not it is "excusable" doesn't make it less racist. It just makes it 'excusable'.

As far as excusable is concerned, I use the year 2008. Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for an Oscar. Any person can point to that and say "Hey, give me a break it was 2006, Robert Downey Jr was nominated for an Oscar in "Tropic Thunder" the next year. I'm sorry.
-but it still was offensive.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
definition of colonialism.
Colonialism is defined as “control by one power over a dependent area or people.” It occurs when one nation subjugates another, conquering its population and exploiting it, often while forcing its own language and cultural values upon its people

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Everybody else knows that when I wrote "Colonialism", I was talking about Europeans and thier descendants who wrecked havoc on black and brown peoples around teh globe.

100proof

10 Year Member
Colonialism is defined as “control by one power over a dependent area or people.” It occurs when one nation subjugates another, conquering its population and exploiting it, often while forcing its own language and cultural values upon its people

I bolded it so even a half-wit like you might understand. Nice self-own though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyways, here is a British Soap add from teh late 19th century.

Same company also ran this add (though I can only confirm it ran in the states).

122.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The underlying current that spawned American chattel slavery and imagery can be found in all of the other colonial powers and thier former holdings.

100proof

10 Year Member

If it's the countries that participated in chattel slavery, yeah it is.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I didn't get owned by you citing something that doesn't even fit the definition.

I'm guessing that English isn't your first language and something got lost in translation.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Lmfao. Kill yourself Norton. Literally the only person i have blocked on this shit hole.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Congrats to Barbados for finally kicking that cunt Elizabeth out as head of state.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fuck that, we're in the middle of telling norton to die

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
great, do you need help finding your guy fawkes mask?