New King of Fighters game in the works?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
IF there is going to be a 3D figher, chances are SNKP will screw it up as well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
It's been eight years since their last foray into it. And no, I don't count the newer 3D Samurai Shodown as they weren't the developer of it.

Also, for what it's worth, the Maximum Impact games were actually pretty decent.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
For real? I never liked the MI games... maybe I'm just biased.

The MI games were combo-crazy.

I almost felt like the game needed a "Burst" system.

Though parrying crap always made you feel like a badass whenever you did it.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
For real? I never liked the MI games... maybe I'm just biased.
They have their own unique flavor, different from the 2d games. That isn't a bad thing in this case. I quite enjoy MI and KOF 2006 (MI2).

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I had high hopes SNK would announce something at EVO2014... Let the speculation continue...

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
So sad, the current state of things. I had some buddies over and was showing off the candy cab and all my carts in shock boxes and trying to explain that SNK was an enormous company.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
The guy that made KoF13 went back to SNKP recently and they have a new job listings on some website and one of them is for fighting games with a question mark for the title so maybe they have something planned for the future we just have to wait and see and why do people think it will be 3D like SS Sen or Maximum Impact, i doubt they will try that again, more devs are moving to using 3D characters so expect it to be more like Xuan Dou Zhi Wang or hopefully GGXrd.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The guy that made KoF13 went back to SNKP recently and they have a new job listings on some website and one of them is for fighting games with a question mark for the title so maybe they have something planned for the future we just have to wait and see and why do people think it will be 3D like SS Sen or Maximum Impact, i doubt they will try that again, more devs are moving to using 3D characters so expect it to be more like Xuan Dou Zhi Wang or hopefully GGXrd.

Thats the longest run on sentence ever :keke:

Maybe they'll do something at TGS? I was kind of surprised they took an interest in Evo in the first place anyway.

Still...bummer.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
IF there is going to be a 3D figher, chances are SNKP will screw it up as well.
2D fighters are better than 3D fighters. Aren't SNK better at programming in 2D than 3D?

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
All the Hyper 64 fighters are ace. The KOF MI games were fun. They sure beat the crap outta the Street Fighter EX series in my opinion.

I'm hedging my bets on KOF XIV.
Once, about a decade ago, I called SNK Playmore "the company that gets it right the second time". Need proof? Look at KOF 2001, KOF: MI2, KOF XII, Samurai Shodown V and Metal Slug 4; now look at their sequels (except 5 was a marginal improvement; nothing can top X and/or 3). I'm expecting pretty much the same thing to happen to KOF XIV (rushed out to make it in time for KOF's 20th anniversary, plays like an incomplete demo; "sequel" released 1-2 years later improves upon and/or fixes mistakes of predecessor).

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if KOF XIV turned out to be an interactive card battle game (like Card Fighters Clash, but with sharp HD illustrations and developed by SNK Playmore- i.e. tre terrible). I'm kidding, of course, but given SNKP's dire financial straits, don't act too surprised if it does become a reality.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Keep that pessimism away from this topic!
KoF XIV will get the GOTY award in every website/magazine!
:mr_t:

Moria/the man

New Challenger

I agree that 2D is the only way to go for an SNK fighter. I also agree that, given the looks of GGXrd, we have a chance of something good. Hopefully it will be newly stylized to look great and reminiscent of KoF13. Me fingers be crossed.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNK always does a crap job with 3D.

Nah.

Maximum Impact 1, 2, and MIRA were all solid titles, and the HNG64 titles were good for their time. Of course they're crap now, just like all the other 1st gen 3D fighters of that time period.

Metal Slug 3D and Sam Sho Sen....well, nobody's perfect.

I'm confident they'll be making the right decision on how to move forward, and I'm very sure it'll either mirror GGXrd (3D that looks and plays like 2D) or Capcom's recent fighters (3D that looks like 3D and plays like 2D).

Valt C

n00b
^ I agree with you.

I even enjoyed a lot the FF Wild Ambition in the arcades and PS, liked a lot the MI2 too.

But whatever the future is(now? no, pls), I can't stand the KOF XIII (worst artwork/design ever!!!), even with the "ok" gameplay.

So, better don't hold my breathe in the next one.

BtW, the new Guilty Gear idea would be really nice, but for me only if they bring something like the older character's design(with normal clothes, normal noses, normal hands size) and less this deformed cartoon BS.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
All the characters have changed to the better in KOFXII / KOFXIII and are more representative of their original source IMO.

KOFXIII gameplay is solid, no question.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm hedging my bets on KOF XIV.
Once, about a decade ago, I called SNK Playmore "the company that gets it right the second time". Need proof? Look at KOF 2001, KOF: MI2, KOF XII, Samurai Shodown V and Metal Slug 4; now look at their sequels (except 5 was a marginal improvement; nothing can top X and/or 3). I'm expecting pretty much the same thing to happen to KOF XIV (rushed out to make it in time for KOF's 20th anniversary, plays like an incomplete demo; "sequel" released 1-2 years later improves upon and/or fixes mistakes of predecessor).

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if KOF XIV turned out to be an interactive card battle game (like Card Fighters Clash, but with sharp HD illustrations and developed by SNK Playmore- i.e. tre terrible). I'm kidding, of course, but given SNKP's dire financial straits, don't act too surprised if it does become a reality.

I agree with you on it's probably going to be a rush job. I'm hoping not cause you would think they would learn from XII.

That being said I am curious about the financial situation. One thing I remember from the Aruze days was SNK wasn't mad that they were making pachinko games, but they were not benefiting from Aruze making them. I wonder how successful the pachinko games are now.

On top of that this is the second time Playmore put out a help wanted ad. Apparently they have the funds to afford more workers. I do not expect them to be rolling in dough, but chances are they have enough to expand out to make multiple titles at the same time. At least that's my guess.