Advice from the CPSII Gurus

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I bought this SFA3 Phoenixed a year ago from the forums. I worked perfectly until 3 days ago and all I get is a blue or red screen on powerup. I've tried 3 different A boards and get the same results. When I opened the board there is a jumper wire on the solder side from the Pal Chip to CN5. The board is a Rev. G which is what SFA3 runs on and it has the original static roms... I see no bad traces any where. It doesn't look like a conversion so I'm guess its possibly a Capcom repair??

DSC00870.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

My only guess to fix this would be to reprogram the code Eproms but I'm puzzled by the jumper as I've only seen this with converted Progears and such...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's most likely a connection issue between boards. The connectors might need replacing. Make sure the A board pins are clean, sometimes there is a film on them.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
It's most likely a connection issue between boards. The connectors might need replacing. Make sure the A board pins are clean, sometimes there is a film on them.

I recently took apart all my A boards and alcohol washed them. Tested them all with other CPSII games and have no issues, thx though Xian XI.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
The jumper wire is normal. Capcom used it to use some newer games on old revisions of the pcb (there are several.) "G" is the pal revision not the pcb revision. Make sure there are no bent pins on the b-board connectors. Did you try reseating the program roms? For some reason I have had several of these roms go bad and need reprogramming. Most recently my 1944.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Dude the wire is absolutely normal, it is associated with the pal revision as explained earlier. Take the bare pcb and connect it with the mother and see if it powers up to determine if its a connection problem.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Thanks guys, I'll try everything out tomorrow and post the results. I'll save reprogramming for last. Thanks for the input.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Issue resolved, had a few cold solder joints on CN3, cleaned them up and it works 100% again :)