Announcement: SSRPG English Release is coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedu

Armored Scrum Object
great news
will you release it as a ROM version?

thanks for the good work

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
great news
will you release it as a ROM version?

There is no such thing as a ROM of a CD-based game. It will be a patch, to be applied to an ISO image of the original game and then reburned to CD, which can then be played in an emulator or the original hardware.

SSS

neo retired
There is no such thing as a ROM of a CD-based game. It will be a patch, to be applied to an ISO image of the original game and then reburned to CD, which can then be played in an emulator or the original hardware.

This will be perfect on the psp using NJ's neo cdz emulator.

Deuce

This will be perfect on the psp using NJ's neo cdz emulator.

That or a PC-based emu. I would recommend NeoRAINE, though I'm a bit loath to do so, now that the author has now (twice) brazenly attempted to rip off my translation work and claim it as his own.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Good to hear Deuce. Thanks for all your hard work that we vidjagame nerds don't deserve. :)

Deuce

Let me get the thing released first, and then I'll settle for an awesome custom rank. ;P

Or a crapload of donations would be nice, since Wachovia just screwed me out of $630. Jagoffs.

Deuce

Never mind. Discovered I made a huge fuckup that's going to require I redo a hell of a lot of work on voice timing throughout the Mizuki chapter. Serves me right for not getting my facts absolutely straight first. Hopefully this won't delay my intended release date, but you'll have to pardon me for feeling a little disillusioned and frustrated right at this moment.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Never mind. Discovered I made a huge fuckup that's going to require I redo a hell of a lot of work on voice timing throughout the Mizuki chapter. Serves me right for not getting my facts absolutely straight first. Hopefully this won't delay my intended release date, but you'll have to pardon me for feeling a little disillusioned and frustrated right at this moment.

Your work ethic is amazing.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for putting years of effort into this.

Deuce

Your work ethic is amazing.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for putting years of effort into this.

I think it's more a matter of being ridiculously anal retentive. Why bother starting something if you're not going to make it as good as you possibly can? But thanks for the compliment, anyway. :)

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
Just wanted to log in say thanks Deuce for bringing this to fruition. I've always wanted to play the game.

By the way, I'd like to know, in your personal opinion, how would you rank this game against some of the other good 16bit RPGs that came out during the 90's? Games such as FF V, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, Breath of Fire, etc....how does SamSho RPG stand up?

Deuce

By the way, I'd like to know, in your personal opinion, how would you rank this game against some of the other good 16bit RPGs that came out during the 90's? Games such as FF V, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, Breath of Fire, etc....how does SamSho RPG stand up?

Honestly, depends where your personal loyalties lie. Personally, I don't have a lot of love for FF6 (and I could easily go on a long tirade why, but I shan't). SSRPG isn't an especially deep game, but it is fun. Not extremely long, but it is very cool to be able to get more background on the hows, whys and wheres of the events of SS1 and SS2 (especially everything with Mizuki, which is easily the high point of the game). When you're not dealing with the limitations of the original hardware, load times and all, I'd say it stacks up pretty well, thanks to the engaging combat, and still ranks as one of my favorites.

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
Honestly, depends where your personal loyalties lie. Personally, I don't have a lot of love for FF6 (and I could easily go on a long tirade why, but I shan't). SSRPG isn't an especially deep game, but it is fun. Not extremely long, but it is very cool to be able to get more background on the hows, whys and wheres of the events of SS1 and SS2 (especially everything with Mizuki, which is easily the high point of the game). When you're not dealing with the limitations of the original hardware, load times and all, I'd say it stacks up pretty well, thanks to the engaging combat, and still ranks as one of my favorites.

Awesome man. Can't wait to give it a shot :)

You mention the load times. If using an ISO in an emu such as neo raine, how much faster can we expect the load times to be? Is there an option in neo raine or any other emu for that matter, that helps speed up or eliminate them all together?

Also, does neo raine support save states?

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Looking forward to this being released. Any idea when that might be, I know you hit a snag recently.

payment_due

Awesome man. Can't wait to give it a shot :)

You mention the load times. If using an ISO in an emu such as neo raine, how much faster can we expect the load times to be? Is there an option in neo raine or any other emu for that matter, that helps speed up or eliminate them all together?

Also, does neo raine support save states?

Playing the game with an ISO will be faster. i tested it on NeoRaine. Load times will be very small, even with a CD i think.

payment_due

I searched on google and NeoRaine apparently does support save states. Didn't the real NeoCD actually have internal memory that replaced the Neo Memory card?

Deuce

Well, the snag that I hit is not, in and of itself, a major issue. The problem is that it comes in when I'm suddenly finding myself with a lot less free time. That plus having to basically redo the last two months' worth of work = serious case of the "blahs." I think I'm going to have to recruit some help to get me through this on schedule.

And if you're playing the game on NeoRAINE with an ISO, you can basically eliminate load times entirely (or, if you so choose, emulate them faithfully). If you're using an actual CD, you'll face minimal load times regardless, simply because computer CD drives always spin down after a while, and when the disc is next accessed, it has to spin up again. This isn't how the actual hardware works.

And yes, NeoRAINE does support savestates, though I honestly don't know that I'd recommend relying on them. Neo*Geo RAM is a very volatile thing, and it's known to be buggy.

payment_due

Well the neo RAM would be something different than save states, wouldn't it? Save states are saves that the emulator writes and will bring you back to the exact second you saved the game. Neo RAM would be the actual emulated NeoGeo memory, no?

Also, why is this not sticky anymore?

Deuce

A save state is nothing but a binary file consisting of the complete current state of all applicable chips, usually including the RAM in the case of disc-based systems. The Neo is particularly bad in that it may store something in one chunk of memory at one point, then store it elsewhere in RAM later. That's why NeoCD savestates tend to be buggy.

TheLastTrin

NEST Puppet
I was actually walking around Den Den Town in Osaka last weekend and saw a copy of SSRPG for PSone. I was really really tempted to pick it up for 1500 yen, but I ended up picking up some Famicom stuff instead. Fate continues to conspire to keep me away from the game!

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I wonder if it will work on a real Neo CD?
Looks like there's...
farnsworthpy1.jpg

"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!"

It will be a patch, to be applied to an ISO image of the original game and then reburned to CD, which can then be played in an emulator or the original hardware.
Huzzah!

Status
Not open for further replies.