Fuck this bullshit - time to develop stuff other than fighters and shooters

Usually, I just tend to lurk nowadays, but after finding about the rumor (and I hope it's nothing more than that), I had to get something off my chest.

I can't help but feel a lack in product diversity has led to this current situation. I love KOF and Metal Slug as much as the next guy, but why not expand beyond just shooters/fighters? RPG's? Survival/Horror? RTS? Action/Adventure? Where have these been? Development of other franchises would have been a great way to grow the company and expand their intellectual property. Why not create new series? Instead, they milk KOF and MS to oblivion.

Where was the Crystalis sequel? That (or any of their many other IP's) could have been SNK/SNKP's Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or Dragon Quest. If the problem was costs, then they should have farmed out a percentage of the development to a third-party or contract developer. If SNKP had been able to hold onto Sacnoth, maybe that could have been their opportunity to branch out in this fashion. But we all know what happened there, among other things pertaining to SNK and their shitty previous parent company. I still don't think it's too late for them to begin branching out their games portfolio into other areas.

It was painful for me in the 90's to watch companies like Capcom, Tecmo, Namco grow while SNK was still stuck in the same position, or worse, regressing. It was even more painful to see the same thing going on at a much higher level in the 2000's. And now this?

I'll be fucked if I'm going to watch this happen:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220669

That's like Aruze, part 2.

How about, before they close down their freaking games division, they give other genres and franchises a chance?

Is that so hard? Is that so difficult?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Almost as bad as what "Commodore" are currently producing. Shitty substandard PC's in C64 & Amiga cases. What an absolute fucking insult.

The problem with those games is that they are still niche, as well as only side projects. A company like Capcom or Square puts full effort into their mainstream games or farms some of the devlopment of those games to other developers to save costs.

Portable idol games /= a Resident Evil or a Dragon Quest.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Releasing crap like RPGs and RTSs etc would water down playmore's ip and brand image even more. They are the succesors of an arcade format so their games should should be arcade style like shooters and fighters. There are millions of dull rpgs by countless other companies, there's no need for playmore to get involved too. It would be a massive waste of time and money. The problem is not the genres they stick to but the quality of games they release which are all pretty poor compared to the glory days of SNK.

grimm

Marked Wolf
Is that so hard? Is that so difficult?

Making profits is the driving force behind capitalism, and creating games is a big part of that. Look how big the gaming industry have gotten, especially with these new "social" games. I wouldve loved to see a widened field that does not just involve arcade games, so i agree with you there. Games (arcade games excluded in my opinion) lasted much longer in the 80s and 90s, you got more game hours for your money back then, generally speaking. Today, games might still be great, like Uncharted series on PS3, but i am NOT paying €70, for a modern game that lasts 8 hours on medium or easy setting. Its just too short for me. So im under the impression, that with perhaps a few exceptions, most developers, or their owners are in for the money, not making the actual games.

So they go with what they feel will guarantee them good profits.

In conclusion, i think companies are less willing to take chances when they know they can make money doing what they already are.

So, yes i think it is so hard, and so difficult.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I agree 100% with the sentiment of this thread's OP.

But SNK-P doesn't have any money. If they had the capital and resources to achieve this, I think it's the best possible thing for them.

They could milk the pachislot and merchandising thing for a while, but in the corporate world, this is a slippery slope. If it succeeds, their long term plans will change and they'll focus their efforts on that more and more. As time goes on, they'll continue to forget their original mission statement of 'let's make money so we can make games' because, really, why would they bother taking a chance once they hit on a reliable cash flow? If a pachislot venture fails, then they're really fucked.

Ideally, they should cash in however they can and commit to development of new IPs and new genres. But then the problem becomes "who develops them?" They have to have money to hire people talented enough to make it pay off, or at the very least hire a dev studio to do the work for them. If they want something that's going to succeed, they'll need to pay a premium for a top group. Or they can take a chance on a more affordable but less well know dev studio that lacks any kind of presence to bolster their product.

SNK-P's in a mess, no doubt. KOF XII was their most important release of the last five years. They really needed for it to be a better product than it was. It was such a misfire on so many levels, and damaged them in ways they still have yet to truly feel. When the game came out, I was outraged. It wasn't just because the product sucked.

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
Playmore also released the RPG Kimi no Yuusha and the point and click adventure Tsukibito on DS. I played both and they were boring.

Releasing crap like RPGs and RTSs etc would water down playmore's ip and brand image even more. They are the succesors of an arcade format so their games should should be arcade style like shooters and fighters. There are millions of dull rpgs by countless other companies, there's no need for playmore to get involved too. It would be a massive waste of time and money. The problem is not the genres they stick to but the quality of games they release which are all pretty poor compared to the glory days of SNK.

The problem is that even the original SNK still died because, among other things, they didn't create mainstream properties and IP's to subsidize their niche IP's (i.e the stuff we love and play), regardless of the high quality of SNK's product. Capcom found a way to do both mainstream and niche games. SNK didn't. Instead of becoming a giant like Capcom, this led to them being easily swallowed by a shitty company like Aruze. We all witnessed the ensuing results. Capcom grew while still finding a way to maintain their identity. SNK died and is in the process of almost doing so again.

Making profits is the driving force behind capitalism, and
creating games is a big part of that. Look how big the gaming industry have gotten, especially with these new "social" games. I wouldve loved to see a widened field that does not just involve arcade games, so i agree with you there. Games (arcade games excluded in my opinion) lasted much longer in the 80s and 90s, you got more game hours for your money back then, generally speaking. Today, games might still be great, like Uncharted series on PS3, but i am NOT paying €70, for a modern game that lasts 8 hours on medium or easy setting. Its just too short for me. So im under the impression, that with perhaps a few exceptions, most developers, or their owners are in for the money, not making the actual games.

So they go with what they feel will guarantee them good profits.

In conclusion, i think companies are less willing to take chances when they know they can make money doing what they already are.

So, yes i think it is so hard, and so difficult.

The problem is that not taking risks is part of what has led to their situation. What they're doing now is not generating enough profit.

Like I said, on these new titles, they could share or farm out development to other developers to cut corners on costs (but not on quality), at least for the first few games. The key is creating new mainstream IP's and game series.

I'm not saying they saying SNKP should abandon their bread-and-butter (fighters and shooters/shumps), just that that fighters and shooters/shumps shouldn't be their ONLY bread-and-butter. And I don't think they would lose their identity by doing so.

I agree 100% with the sentiment of this thread's OP.

But SNK-P doesn't have any money. If they had the capital and resources to achieve this, I think it's the best possible thing for them.

They could milk the pachislot and merchandising thing for a while, but in the corporate world, this is a slippery slope. If it succeeds, their long term plans will change and they'll focus their efforts on that more and more. As time goes on, they'll continue to forget their original mission statement of 'let's make money so we can make games' because, really, why would they bother taking a chance once they hit on a reliable cash flow? If a pachislot venture fails, then they're really fucked.

Sad thing is, this is what’s happening now. And if the rumor turns out to be true, SNKP’s new head officer wants to go into this full blast.

Ideally, they should cash in however they can and commit to development of new IPs and new genres. But then the problem becomes "who develops them?" They have to have money to hire people talented enough to make it pay off, or at the very least hire a dev studio to do the work for them. If they want something that's going to succeed, they'll need to pay a premium for a top group. Or they can take a chance on a more affordable but less well know dev studio that lacks any kind of presence to bolster their product.

SNK-P's in a mess, no doubt. KOF XII was their most important release of the last five years. They really needed for it to be a better product than it was. It was such a misfire on so many levels, and damaged them in ways they still have yet to truly feel. When the game came out, I was outraged. It wasn't just because the product sucked.

Quality over size.

Large corps don’t always put out the best product (see EA). I think SNKP should target small dev houses known to put out quality product, especially in the genre they want to move into.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
It's a fair point you make but I think if playmore did release large budget, large scale games like RPGs and the like they would sink without trace on the global market. I reckon that either there are enough people to keep a niche genre alive or there isn't and unfortunately it looks like they have alienated their hardcore fanbase by releasing consistintetly sub par games (kof sky stage anyone?). Branching out would probably fuck them up even more. Look at what happened to poor sega when they were still in the hardware industry, spazzing countless millions on large scale RPGs like Shenmue and hardware add ons and controllers that must have cost a fortune to develop. Keeping it small and focused is still working for devs like Cave and Treasure becuase their quality is far higher.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I see what you are saying, but survival fucking horror? Please. Why don't they just make a WWII fps while they're at it?

Fucking hell...

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is nonsense. You're being unrealistic. SNKP is a arcade gaming company, if fighters and shooters are a issue, go play another company's games. These are the worst people to request this stuff from.

SNK is special BECAUSE of fighters and shooters. Seriously. If I want good rpg's, I'll go to Konami or Square. Expecting a solid roster for a company with zero money for any risky behavior is pointless.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
This is nonsense. You're being unrealistic. SNKP is a arcade gaming company, if fighters and shooters are a issue, go play another company's games. These are the worst people to request this stuff from.

SNK is special BECAUSE of fighters and shooters. Seriously. If I want good rpg's, I'll go to Konami or Square. Expecting a solid roster for a company with zero money for any risky behavior is pointless.

QFT :buttrock:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
fran mentioned in another thread some titles I had always hoped to see...like Nam 1976.

I don't know how they would've done it back then/do it now tho...the sad fact of the manner is, TASTES HAVE CHANGED.

Hyper64 kit has some of the most robust sprite pushing power, period...and not a single 2D game for it. Why?

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say even back when HNG64 was new, the pendleum was already swinging the other way.

I don't see how SNKP 'doing it like Capcom' would net many of us what we would *really* like. Capcom of today is not the Capcom that made the 2D classics of old.

SNKP 'doing it like Capcom' would net a bunch of middleware powered 3D...I'll pass, thanks.

As cool as it would be to be able to walk into a DeLorean dealership this very day, and have 2 dozen models to choose from, it is not possible.

The days of having a multitude of varied 2D choices to choose from are long gone, and not coming back. The days of having any sprite based games at all are numbered...the two biggest opportunities to bring back sprites in a meaningful, mainstream way were SFIV & MvC3.

And look what we got.

Might as well be Sid the Science Kid:The Fighting.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
there's still a lot of room for 2d (sprite) action games. Still a lot of people hungry for them.
Just look at CAVE.
Sometimes i wish for Cave to buy SNKP.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
There's a lot of potential for ideas to branch out the SNK franchises. However, seeing the reputation that SNK-P has built up is a reality that we as gamers have to deal with. Their updated idea of Metal Slug would probably be a gun version of the game with driving or flying added (picking up the prisoners, manning the Metal Slug, etc). It would keep the franchise but it wouldn't feel like Metal Slug. A P.O.W/Nam 1975 game would've been awesome for an XBLA/PSN game to continue on for the fans but how much can you make out it?

The problem is that when you look at the mainstream and then this niche group, you don't see earnings and profits on the horizon. Making a RTS or Survival Horror game doesn't quite fit well and may be perceived as a bad idea. I say keep it simple. Make a new arcade Twinkle Star Sprite game with a motion controller, large screen and at least a 200 watt sound amp. Casual gamers flock to puzzle games and this may help rebuild SNK-P again slowly. Again, their reputation will probably follow them with a shitty production ethic. The lackluster attempt with Skystage left much to be desired and can easily be beaten (gameplay wise) by the Sonic Wings 2-3, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Viewpoint, and Last Resort.

Tastes have definitely changed and the company does need to meet up to current expectations in order to survive. As much as I'd like to see the older stuff make a comeback..I'm being realistic. It won't. If they insist on keeping the same formula, they might as well make newer versions of the big red, keep production costs down, and market to family fun centers (most arcade traffic nowadays). Their profit margins still wouldn't match that of the Pacman/Galaga machine in the corner or the bar/resturant.

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Successful games need a big budget these days.
It´s very difficult for a company like today´s SNK to produce a top quality video game. They simply don´t have the necessary time, staff and equipment. Their IPs just don´t appeal to the mass market today. Even if they did, SNK does not have the money to give their titles a decent amount of marketing to create the hype.

They really should do some arcade style stuff for the current consoles to keep the IPs alive and make at least a little money.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Good ideas = Great games.

SNKP needs someone new that thinks outside the box. Sometimes the simplest game can be the most addictive.

It's a fair point you make but I think if playmore did release large budget, large scale games like RPGs and the like they would sink without trace on the global market. I reckon that either there are enough people to keep a niche genre alive or there isn't and unfortunately it looks like they have alienated their hardcore fanbase by releasing consistintetly sub par games (kof sky stage anyone?). Branching out would probably fuck them up even more. Look at what happened to poor sega when they were still in the hardware industry, spazzing countless millions on large scale RPGs like Shenmue and hardware add ons and controllers that must have cost a fortune to develop. Keeping it small and focused is still working for devs like Cave and Treasure becuase their quality is far higher.

That’s why whatever mainstream IP’s they produce, they need to have an original twist on that idea. They need a unique selling point. That’s how other companies different their games from other developers.

Sega isn’t in the position they are in now because of what type of games they make. It’s because the quality of most of their current games are shit. Most other developers don’t have that problem. Keep in mind that people loved (and still love) stuff like Sonic Adventure/Virtua Cop/Virtua Fighter/NiGHTS/etc.

Capcom is known as the fighting game and platformer champs (or more like the 'fighter/platformer GODS'), moreso than any other company. Making Resident Evil didn't make them lose their 'specialness.' Capcom uses the money made from their mainstream titles to also produce Street Fighter and Mega Man games. Even SNK had more variety in its product than SNKP does now. SNK used to always come up with new ideas and continuously push the envelope and people loved them for it. Why can’t SNKP do the same?

Bottom line: this is about sustainability. SNKP's current model (and sadly, the original SNK's model in the last years of its life) isn't sustainable.

We’re already going down the same route again. Look at what this Ryo Mizufune douchebag wants to do. Do we really want to see that happen (twice)?

I see what you are saying, but survival fucking horror? Please. Why don't they just make a WWII fps while they're at it?

Fucking hell...

fran mentioned in another thread some titles I had always hoped to see...like Nam 1976.

I don't know how they would've done it back then/do it now tho...the sad fact of the manner is, TASTES HAVE CHANGED.

Hyper64 kit has some of the most robust sprite pushing power, period...and not a single 2D game for it. Why?

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say even back when HNG64 was new, the pendleum was already swinging the other way.

I don't see how SNKP 'doing it like Capcom' would net many of us what we would *really* like. Capcom of today is not the Capcom that made the 2D classics of old.

SNKP 'doing it like Capcom' would net a bunch of middleware powered 3D...I'll pass, thanks.

As cool as it would be to be able to walk into a DeLorean dealership this very day, and have 2 dozen models to choose from, it is not possible.

The days of having a multitude of varied 2D choices to choose from are long gone, and not coming back. The days of having any sprite based games at all are numbered...the two biggest opportunities to bring back sprites in a meaningful, mainstream way were SFIV & MvC3.

And look what we got.

Might as well be Sid the Science Kid:The Fighting.

They don’t even have to make the same type of games Capcom makes, or any other developers. Just stuff that will keep them relevant or at least relevant enough. This, so that their niche and hardcore titles can also find more success. Why can’t SNKP create their own new genres or put their own twist on current ones? Look at Nintendo and Pokemon.

Would SNKP really ‘sell out’ by making a Crystalis sequel?

You’re right that the Capcom of today isn’t the Capcom of old. They evolved and grew (and they’ve still kept their identity while doing so). Now they’re a gaming giant, even though SNK has been around for a lot longer. Capcom still remains a widely-loved game developer, and people still have respect and reverence for its history and contributions to the gaming industry. Meanwhile, people are either saying crap like ‘WTF is an SNK?’ or so-called gaming fans are taking a dump on SNK’s history and contributions because they think SNK still isn’t relevant. On the flipside, SNK fans are complaining about SNKP ‘raping’ SNK’s IP and shitting on SNK’s corpse. On top of that, SNKP is commanding even less of the market than SNK did. Why is that? Whereas Capcom and Atlus’ share has grown, SNKP is commanding even less than SNK’s. Why? That’s the problem. Even SNK fans don’t appreciate SNKP. People are thinking SNKP had tarnished the SNK legacy. Yes, a lot of the games have been shit (and that’s why they need to generate revenue to acquire better resources for better quality control), but the well-received games haven’t helped all that much much either. Like it’s been said, SNKP is already losing their hardcore market.

Who says they will have to stop making 2d games? There’s nothing stopping them from making 2d KOF’s and Metal Slugs. One doesn’t preclude the other. This could even help them continue doing such. Like I said earlier… ‘I'm not saying they saying SNKP should abandon their bread-and-butter (fighters and shooters/shumps), just that that fighters and shooters/shumps shouldn't be their ONLY bread-and-butter.’

Successful games need a big budget these days.

It´s very difficult for a company like today´s SNK to produce a top quality video game. They simply don´t have the necessary time, staff and equipment. Their IPs just don´t appeal to the mass market today. Even if they did, SNK does not have the money to give their titles a decent amount of marketing to create the hype.

The reason the current IP’s such as KOF, SamSho and MS don’t generate enough hype nowadays and have lost their luster is either because SNKP has been spamming them non-stop, or their lack of 'relevancy' prevents them from generating enough hype for whatever they want to do. As OrochiEddie put it:

Robots aside I'd be fine with SNKP being succesful making new IPs and occasionally gracing us with the presence of an older one. Thing is their IPs don't cary the excitement or clout to create a lot of buzz on word alone. SFIV worked because we all know the world warriors and just having them was all you needed to get hype for the game. SNK goes out and says

"Last Blade 3 guys!" and most of the gaming community would go "Hey, haven't I seen that guy on a silk button down shirt before?"

Like I said, they can farm out development of new IP’s to someone else if need be, especially someone (someone who is a quality developer and not necessarily ‘big’) who can handle those projects better than SNKP can, while SNKP handles the publishing. Nintendo doesn’t develop Pokemon games. Game Freak does. Yet, that franchise has continuously printed money hand-over-fist for the Big N. The key would be for SNKP to at least publish these new IP’s as long as they own the IP’s of whatever they publish. They also need to make sure that whatever games they publish, the general public recognizes them as ‘SNK/SNKP games.’ They can use the earnings they make from those IP’s to bolster their games development arm and produce better quality games. First things first, they need revenue. With revenue, they can bring forth new ideas and produce better quality games with better quality control. Maybe then, SNKP’s leadership will realize that their games division may be useful in actually PRODUCING GAMES instead of dismantling it to concentrate on pachinko crap. Second, they need relevancy. That alone would provide a lot of marketing in-of-itself. The current problem is that SNK P is unable to do squat because what they’re doing now is unable to generate enough revenue and resources for them to do anything. The thing is they need to begin doing something. That scare we got this month was too close to comfort (it still might not even end up being just a ‘scare’).

They really should do some arcade style stuff for the current consoles to keep the IPs alive and make at least a little money.

They’ve been doing this already, and people hate them for it, or at best, are apathetic towards their efforts.

There's a lot of potential for ideas to branch out the SNK franchises. However, seeing the reputation that SNK-P has built up is a reality that we as gamers have to deal with. Their updated idea of Metal Slug would probably be a gun version of the game with driving or flying added (picking up the prisoners, manning the Metal Slug, etc). It would keep the franchise but it wouldn't feel like Metal Slug. A P.O.W/Nam 1975 game would've been awesome for an XBLA/PSN game to continue on for the fans but how much can you make out it?

The problem is that when you look at the mainstream and then this niche group, you don't see earnings and profits on the horizon. Making a RTS or Survival Horror game doesn't quite fit well and may be perceived as a bad idea. I say keep it simple. Make a new arcade Twinkle Star Sprite game with a motion controller, large screen and at least a 200 watt sound amp. Casual gamers flock to puzzle games and this may help rebuild SNK-P again slowly. Again, their reputation will probably follow them with a shitty production ethic. The lackluster attempt with Skystage left much to be desired and can easily be beaten (gameplay wise) by the Sonic Wings 2-3, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Viewpoint, and Last Resort.

Tastes have definitely changed and the company does need to meet up to current expectations in order to survive. As much as I'd like to see the older stuff make a comeback..I'm being realistic. It won't. If they insist on keeping the same formula, they might as well make newer versions of the big red, keep production costs down, and market to family fun centers (most arcade traffic nowadays). Their profit margins still wouldn't match that of the Pacman/Galaga machine in the corner or the bar/resturant.

Good ideas = Great games.
SNKP needs someone new that thinks outside the box. Sometimes the simplest game can be the most addictive.

Agreed. Originality or new twists on current ideas are needed.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Agree completely with Spaceknight on all counts because he's right.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Capcom and SNK is and always have been ENTIRELY different core entities. Capcom made one critical change AT THE PERFECT TIME and that was Biohazard/RE. They also had megaman and other series that filled a void. Heck, they were in charge of breath of fire and took the project over completely when Square walked away from assisting production after the first game. I love that series. The first game was a masterpiece. The difference? Capcom is truly versatile enough to keep their core audience and build upon their mainstream audience. SNK never was this way. They were for arcades and their small central neo geo supporters as a main base. We were always run off to coin op titles and those are entirely arcade games.

SNK is not Capcom, so comparing the two because they make fighters and shooters is sort of pointless. There isn't and probably never will be a market for SNK's shitty creative games because those days and the money to fund that are done. Hell, they can't even release a flagship title lately without fucking up. Look at SS Sen..

They are incapable of making good games like that in present, nor do they have the muscle to make a game that will be hugely popular that isn't KOF/ss/ms. After the neo-geo, SNK is barely gonna make it off the same typical releases because that's all people want to play and I feel that interest is waning there also. As was said before, there is no market for other stuff and nobody cares about Koudelka or samurai rpg.

Seriously. Its utter fanboy mentality expecting SNK to even do stuff like this ever. Like they are just as powerful as Nintendo and have tons of money to take risks. There is no risks. . They can't survive off the same three IP's forever, and its not like anyone will play a new garou enough to make the release a real seller. All people care about is SFIV SUPER IMPACT NOTCH INFINITE and others bullshit. There is no competition for Capcom. They completely own and control the entire fighting game scene now because they gave stubborn arrogant people a feeling of being special by playing IV with its basic fundamentals. We live in the age of sell outs. Be glad SNK isn't making a bunch of quirky KOF mi retarded shit now. Hell, what does KOF XIII matter anymore. We all know KOF XIV will be coming, and the problem with XIII was the god damn corner juggling was so broken, EVERYONE in the game has a probable 100% combo. That's not gonna mean crap when the entire scene already revolves around SFIV.

I'm in the same boat as fran, and have been there for years. All you need to do to have fun and enjoy great games is buy the old shit. That's all that matters and its what I've been doing for months now. Screw worrying about tomorrow and fire on the neo and play your favorite games..

Ontop of all the stuff I've said for years, SNKP has remained one of the dumbest most stubborn companies in history. Every year it gets worse. Critiquing what they should do next to fix the situation has become its own sub culture. It is that hopeless.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
LWK's post needs to be framed and hung on a wall. He said exactly what I was thinking, but was too lazy to type. 100% spot on.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
LWK's post needs to be framed and hung on a wall. He said exactly what I was thinking, but was too lazy to type. 100% spot on.

At least yer not too lazy to read it. When I see an LWK post that long, I just assume it's an instant QFT and press on...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Anything can be salvaged to a workable state with the right attention in the right places. I'm not so cynical, even given how disappointed I am in their current state, that I've stamped out hope for some kind of revival. Maybe never to the same degree they once enjoyed, but it can happen.

Will it? Probably not. But it can.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Anything can be salvaged to a workable state with the right attention in the right places. I'm not so cynical, even given how disappointed I am in their current state, that I've stamped out hope for some kind of revival. Maybe never to the same degree they once enjoyed, but it can happen.

Will it? Probably not. But it can.

Anything can happen. Most things won't. SNK falls into the latter category. It's sad. The company is like my father, in the sense that at some point, he just stopped progressing with the times. You go to his house and it's filled with Men at Work and Tears for Fears records, and he still boils his water in the same JC Penny microwave of that era, too.