pretty sure puzzle bobble boot

squidget

n00b
oh, how i wish I had read threads here before I bought this.
I bought this game on ebay, seller looked legit, no neg feedback blah blah blah. Was playing the game and the graphics got all screwy, bubbles were only half visible, text all garbled. I figured it was dirty so I opened it up for some cleaning. Eeeeww very dirty, but after the dirt was all clear I looked over the boards carefully, there was a hand soldering job on the back of one. Below are the links to the pics of the 2 boards, After reading around a bit here and some other places, I think its a boot, not sure though. Both boards have toshiba chips (EPROMS?) and SNK chips. And since I don't know too much about this, I would like some expert type opinions.
Thanks
-s.

front of 1st board

back of 1st board

front of 2nd board

back of 2nd board

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Definite boot.
Some Puzzle Bobbles had 2 eproms in them from the factory (or SNK authorized repair or whatever), but yours is clearly boot city.

Unless of course SNK had their own special, authentic electrical tape to cover eprom windows. :angry:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Some Puzzle Bobbles had 2 eproms in them from the factory (or SNK authorized repair or whatever), but yours is clearly boot city.

:( I'd correct this to MOST PBs have 2 eproms. I still can't find an all solid rom cart.

squidget

n00b
doh!

*sigh*
thats what I was afraid of. Thanks a bunch for the quick responses.
I'm gonna try to see if I can get my money back from the seller.
In the auction it was listed as original...
will see what happens

Last edited:

boogbutt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Metal Slug 5, a boot or not?

:glee: Hi squidget, sorry to hear that & i hope you get your money back though. :cool:

I wanted to tell you that i bought a Metal Slug 5 MVS from Ebay & what i got was a small mini marquee and the stickers were not at all but the copied paper kind. :(

The cartridge is a clear color case, but still worked on the Phantom-1 convertor
& my Consolized 2-Slot MVS unit i got from Kenny. :cool:

So anyway do you think it is a Boot cartridge. :confused:

Any comments, or does anyone else know. :D

Regards,

Shawn Carr

Boogbutt@yahoo.com

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
boogbutt said:
:glee: Hi squidget, sorry to hear that & i hope you get your money back though. :cool:

I wanted to tell you that i bought a Metal Slug 5 MVS from Ebay & what i got was a small mini marquee and the stickers were not at all but the copied paper kind. :(

The cartridge is a clear color case, but still worked on the Phantom-1 convertor
& my Consolized 2-Slot MVS unit i got from Kenny. :cool:

So anyway do you think it is a Boot cartridge. :confused:

Any comments, or does anyone else know. :D

Regards,

Shawn Carr

Boogbutt@yahoo.com

Its a boot.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
squidget said:
oh, how i wish I had read threads here before I bought this.
I bought this game on ebay, seller looked legit, no neg feedback blah blah blah. Was playing the game and the graphics got all screwy, bubbles were only half visible, text all garbled. I figured it was dirty so I opened it up for some cleaning. Eeeeww very dirty, but after the dirt was all clear I looked over the boards carefully, there was a hand soldering job on the back of one. Below are the links to the pics of the 2 boards, After reading around a bit here and some other places, I think its a boot, not sure though. Both boards have toshiba chips (EPROMS?) and SNK chips. And since I don't know too much about this, I would like some expert type opinions.
Thanks
-s.

front of 1st board

back of 1st board

front of 2nd board

back of 2nd board

Whew... :oh_no: ..I've never seen a PB boot like that..

What color is the case and does it have a remade label..?

Does it look like this..?

dd_1.JPG

squidget

n00b
chris1 said:
Whew... :oh_no: ..I've never seen a PB boot like that..

What color is the case and does it have a remade label..?

Does it look like this..?

dd_1.JPG

The case was black, and yeah the label was remade and looked just like that.
underneath was another label but i don't think that was the original label either.
on the side was a serial # sticker.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
squidget said:
The case was black, and yeah the label was remade and looked just like that.
underneath was another label but i don't think that was the original label either.
on the side was a serial # sticker.

I'm curious if this PB was bought off of that Yaton Ebay seller in Canada.

He sells a ton of the above pictured carts.

squidget

n00b
It wasn't yanton, I read about him and luckily avoided his auction. It was someone else (don't want to post ebay name, probably not a scammer just someone who didnt know)
I sent him an email last night and he replied this morning with:
"the game was never opened and for the 1.5 years I've had it and I've never had garbled graphics for any of that time, second I have no way of knowing that you didn't just open the cart and swap out the boards, I mean I know the game worked flawlessly so this garbled text just sounds like a convient excuse for opening the cart? if that was the main reason for the purchase you should have instructed me how to test authenticity for the item, if I did help you I would not refund the shipping amount or pay you for return shipping and other fees that are non-refundable, inwhich case I don't know how favorable that option is, if you have problems with the game working then that might be the result of delivery handling damage in which case I can put in a claim for you with fedex but that isn't going to work unless there is noticible damage to the packaging and or contents, is there any damage?
sorry if you really are having trouble, I am just trying to be as fair as possible yet not get taken advantage of at the same time"

well, poop. I suppose I'll go for the partial refund. Don't have much choice now do I?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
squidget said:
It wasn't yanton, I read about him and luckily avoided his auction. It was someone else (don't want to post ebay name, probably not a scammer just someone who didnt know)
I sent him an email last night and he replied this morning with:
"the game was never opened and for the 1.5 years I've had it and I've never had garbled graphics for any of that time, second I have no way of knowing that you didn't just open the cart and swap out the boards, I mean I know the game worked flawlessly so this garbled text just sounds like a convient excuse for opening the cart? if that was the main reason for the purchase you should have instructed me how to test authenticity for the item, if I did help you I would not refund the shipping amount or pay you for return shipping and other fees that are non-refundable, inwhich case I don't know how favorable that option is, if you have problems with the game working then that might be the result of delivery handling damage in which case I can put in a claim for you with fedex but that isn't going to work unless there is noticible damage to the packaging and or contents, is there any damage?
sorry if you really are having trouble, I am just trying to be as fair as possible yet not get taken advantage of at the same time"

well, poop. I suppose I'll go for the partial refund. Don't have much choice now do I?

Just by reading what the seller said I'd not deal with him..Ever or Again.
Please PM me this sellers name so I can stay FAR away from him..
What's written by that seller looks very close to what a Bootleg seller wrote to me upon I asking for a refund.
It's a boot..no matter how well it worked for him..it's a Freaken boot..

I'd shove it down his throat or mail it back to him filled with dog shit!!!!!!! :blow_top:

How much did you pay for this cart..?

Did you give the connections a real good cleaning..though it's a boot that I think is Shot,it's still worth trying to get going since your losing money on this..
(Does he want the cart back..?

I'm not to big on sending carts back because now I'm out of both items..the money and the cart.
I just don't trust people saying they didn't get anything..and I'm out of cart and money.
This guy seems like trouble..trouble enough to make me keep the cart,take a loss..
I'd then take the boards out,mail him the case filled with SHIT..then Negging his ass on Ebay...
I'd also warn everybody else who bidson his stuff about his selling tactics upon selling MVS games.
Plus I'd notify Ebay that he sold you a Bootleg copy of a game(not like they care)

Just what did this seller write in the description of his auction..?
As to what he's claiming above about the cart..

squidget

n00b
I'm going to test the game tonight, see how it works. I would like my money back but the more I ponder this the more I feel he might screw me again If I send the cart back. I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay before and this is the first time its turned out negative. 1st time for everything I guess.

this is what the auction said:

PUZZLE BOBBLE BUST-A-MOVE Neo Geo MVS Cart + mini marquee + instructions
Works, all original SNK products for MVS Neo geo System
For auction is a PUZZLE BOBBLE / BUST A MOVE Cart and Mini Marquee. TAITO The cart is original SNK and will work on any NEO GEO 1, 2, 4, or 6 slot motherboard, I am selling because my motherboard doesn't work anymore, see my other listings, I'm cleaning house of my neo geo stuff. I have a complete metal slug 3 kit also available and many more, see my other listings

Based on the bios in your motherboard it will either have the title BUST-A-MOVE or PUZZLE BOBBLE, it makes no difference just an odd titbit.

There was a picture included with the auction, looked like the cart above but there was a gold caution sticker on the front.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
As I wrote in a PM..

From his description he says Original..and thus should of sold you a legit cart.
That right there is false information provided by him..
Though I see a lot of Ebay sellers using "Original" in a misleading way...They get away with it.

What's original about it..?What does he call Original..?

If he opened it to see the board said SNK then he had to clearly could see the fked up chips.

Plus..he knows the Neo.
He's got a Cab and other carts (clearly seen in the auction)
If he knows enough about the BIOS then he knows Neo and is full of shit.

I have no thought in my mind that he didn't know he was selling non working boot...and that is was a boot...Not original.

If he didn't know to much about the Neo like a vendor or someone then I'd understand a bit...if it was just a blind no info/no pic auction.

This guy knows what he's doing...He reproduced the Art etc..

I'd ask for FULL refund..
I'd also make a topic about it in Feedback here using his Ebay I D..I'm pretty sure he's a member here..

This way to clear his name here he'd have to Refund you for this boot.

I'd not send him shit back until he sent me a full refund..I'd take the loss for the return shipment at the most ..
But I'd just keep the topic going with all the info of me shipping back with pics and tracking on the package etc.

But that's your choice..

Yea..I get pissed :blow_top:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
squidget said:

Fist fo all, I have never heard of Jian Yao selling a boot and not making the situation right afterwards. -You would proably have been better off if you did not avoid his acution.

Second of all, it sounds like the guy is really jerking you around. Acting like a jerk and whatnot. Why sell a cart as "authentic" when you haven't opened it up for 1.5 years? Then he admits in your email that he does not know how to check if it's authentic.
if that was the main reason for the purchase you should have instructed me how to test authenticity for the item

Summary: This guy is either an idiot or knowingly sold you a boot. He's jerking you around. Please let us know his name so we don't get screwed by the same seller.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
norton9478 said:
Fist fo all, I have never heard of Jian Yao selling a boot and not making the situation right afterwards. -You would proably have been better off if you did not avoid his acution.

Second of all, it sounds like the guy is really jerking you around. Acting like a jerk and whatnot. Why sell a cart as "authentic" when you haven't opened it up for 1.5 years? Then he admits in your email that he does not know how to check if it's authentic.

Summary: This guy is either an idiot or knowingly sold you a boot. He's jerking you around. Please let us know his name so we don't get screwed by the same seller.

I agree with norton9478..

I have to admit all my purchases from Jian Yao have been great.
He's never sent me a boot...and is great with communication..

Otherwise..
I personaly would not buy one of these PBs below from Jian without asking him if they were boots first..
He just has way too many of these/the same for sale..A highly Booted game.
dd_1.JPG

The last two carts I bought from Jian were Neo Drift Out and Neo Bomberman.
Both Original copies.. :buttrock:

Dirty inside but cleanable with a little patience(now they shine ;) )

squidget

n00b
chris1 said:
I agree with norton9478..

I have to admit all my purchases from Jian Yao have been great.
He's never sent me a boot...and is great with communication..

Otherwise..
I personaly would not buy one of these PBs below from Jian without asking him if they were boots first..
He just has way too many of these/the same for sale..A highly Booted game.
dd_1.JPG

The last two carts I bought from Jian were Neo Drift Out and Neo Bomberman.
Both Original copies.. :buttrock:

Dirty inside but cleanable with a little patience(now they shine ;) )

The feedback about him goes both ways, and since my neo knowledge is still a bit low, I was keeping away. I'll probably stay off of ebay for a bit. Least until I learn a bit more and know how to ask the right questions up front.

squidget

n00b
D-Lite said:
Definite boot.

Unless of course SNK had their own special, authentic electrical tape to cover eprom windows. :angry:

I put the tape there. When I was taking pictures I didn't want the flash to mess anything up!

I hope thats not the only reason why you think its a boot, (it was the hand soldering on the back that caught my eye) otherwise I will delete all threads and go hide in a corner :crying:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
souzamerica???

I always thought he sounded fisshy..... I have been staying away from his auctions for the most part... I almost placed a substantial bid on a MV1-B with no bios then realized "Why would someone go to the trouble of removing a Surface mount bios and not bother to put one on??????".

Well at least we all know that besides his boots, he is a frickn ass....

As for yaoton....
I have bought one boot from him:
Slugboot2.jpg

Slugboot1.jpg

A METAL SLVG [SIC]
I thought it had a replaced label but found out it had replaced chips and crap as well..... Ever seen an uglier boot??????

Jian not only sent me a legit copy via air but also refunded return shipping and sent me a bonus item. So I wouldn't worry.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
norton9478 said:
souzamerica???

I always thought he sounded fisshy..... I have been staying away from his auctions for the most part... I almost placed a substantial bid on a MV1-B with no bios then realized "Why would someone go to the trouble of removing a Surface mount bios and not bother to put one on??????".

Well at least we all know that besides his boots, he is a frickn ass....

As for yaoton....
I have bought one boot from him:
Slugboot2.jpg

Slugboot1.jpg

A METAL SLVG [SIC]
I thought it had a replaced label but found out it had replaced chips and crap as well..... Ever seen an uglier boot??????

Jian not only sent me a legit copy via air but also refunded return shipping and sent me a bonus item. So I wouldn't worry.

Wow!!..Man,the work it took to make that game..whew, :oh_no:
How did it work..?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Wow!!..Man,the work it took to make that game..whew, :oh_no:
How did it work..?

100% What you can't see in the photo is the many places where the SMD's had to have traces rewired.... It was a real mess... Those smd's are actualy on an adaptor board, raised from the actual pcb. Hand soldered as well.

I would have kept it but I was afraid that all of the soldering would give everyone in my house lead poisining.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
norton9478 said:
100% What you can't see in the photo is the many places where the SMD's had to have traces rewired.... It was a real mess... Those smd's are actualy on an adaptor board, raised from the actual pcb. Hand soldered as well.

I would have kept it but I was afraid that all of the soldering would give everyone in my house lead poisining.

:tickled:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
norton9478 said:
A METAL SLVG [SIC]

No never
:oh_no: