Console specific "I finished today" thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There is already one of these threads in the Arcade sub forum and is suppose to be Arcade cab related (oops). So I thought it would be nice to see something more game console specific.

So, post up whatever console projects you have finished up lately.

Region mod your Megadrive? Component video mod a SNES or built your own Dreamcast VGA cable?

Lets see it!!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So I will kick this off.

Built a couple Atari Jaguar specific cables in the last couple days.

RGB Scart:

IMG_0762%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Svideo/Stereo/Composite:

IMG_0764%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Finished this 6 months ago or so, JPN Dreamcast stick modified with Sanwa stick and buttons plus a Saturn PCB for some twin modded action!
539525_10151250318011609_1959096254_n.jpg

10484_10151250318391609_1651102823_n.jpg

It's a pity, only a few months after I made it I got a cab so... yeah it's pretty much a wasted effort.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Finished the faux stereo mod on a spare toaster NES I had.

IMAG0277.jpg

Also, did an A/V Mod to a Atari 7800.

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

I was trying for all audio channels on the back, but I messed up lining the holes up. Hence, video out on the back, shared audio on the side.

Working on doing an NES to Atari 7800 controller hack and in the near future a multi console joystick using a dead Xbox 360 phat shell.

Last edited:

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Fixed a broken gamegear an did an led mod on it... Batteries now last 8hrs+ (bit better than the stock 2). (No photo though, sorry) Also put an led backlight in a gameboy.

31012012123.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Great stuff so far guys.

Did this one last weekend.

RGB modded my TurboGrafx 16 with stereo audio and composite video as sync. Used a mini 8 pin din and installed it where the useless RF output was at keeping a stock external appearance. Borrowed this idea from Mmmonkey. The RGB amp design came from GameSX

IMG_0757%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0758%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0759%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

System looks more or less stock from the outside.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Nice work, broken! I gotta go back in my TG16 and clean up the mod I did in there. Just added S-Video, composite, an audio amp, and backlit the logo. Left it a mess because I got sidetracked with another mod.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
an audio amp

Audio amp?

Did you grab it from the expansion bus or from elsewhere? Did use an inline 10uF cap on each audio channel or something more involved?

Reason I ask is because I have found grabbing the audio right off the expansion bus to be perfectly loud and clean.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Great stuff so far guys.

Did this one last weekend.

RGB modded my TurboGrafx 16 with stereo audio and composite video as sync. Used a mini 8 pin din and installed it where the useless RF output was at keeping a stock external appearance. Borrowed this idea from Mmmonkey. The RGB amp design came from GameSX

IMG_0757%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0758%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0759%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

System looks more or less stock from the outside.

That's nice. Someone should do that with the Neo. Maybe a 13pin din or something.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Audio amp?

Did you grab it from the expansion bus or from elsewhere? Did use an inline 10uF cap on each audio channel or something more involved?

Reason I ask is because I have found grabbing the audio right off the expansion bus to be perfectly loud and clean.

That's weird. For me, grabbing it from the EXP made it soft on my TV. I just did a simple preamp for each channel to boost it just enough...unneeded in most cases (since I was pretty much chastised for making such a thing), but it works for me, and that all that matters. Maybe I just need to recap the thing, maybe that's just how it is, I don't know. But making the preamp worked just fine for me.

Anyway...

I made it a new habit that all the mods for older consoles that I do, I'm removing the RF module when I can. I end up using the new hole for my video out connector. Here's the Top Loader NES I did earlier this month. Used the channel selector switch hole for a headphone jack. No faux stereo, though. Just the one audio channel shared for left and right.

IMAG0276.jpg

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Picked up a White PC Engine yesterday. RGB modded it this evening.

IMG_0776%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0779%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

AlecRob

Banned
Finished this 6 months ago or so, JPN Dreamcast stick modified with Sanwa stick and buttons plus a Saturn PCB for some twin modded action!

It's a pity, only a few months after I made it I got a cab so... yeah it's pretty much a wasted effort.

Since it's wasted effort... would you be interested in selling it?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I've modded three Sega Nomad's with new TFT LCD screens.

Modded two Gameboys with similar white and green lcd panels (DMG and lite).

Finished one more CMVS.

Currently working on a a dreamcast built into a arcade controller, usding Dream SD as the iso loader.

Thanks

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Finished one more CMVS.

Currently working on a a dreamcast built into a arcade controller, usding Dream SD as the iso loader.

Thanks

Lets see some pictures, hombre.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member

(I've sold all of these)

Finished one more CMVS.

photovwb.jpg

Screenshot of the lcd screen, looks really good.

photo6zf.jpg

(Above is awaiting the arcade stick, I'm bidding on one now, that holds the VMU as well). I'm really hoping it will be a cool mod. If I can get the vga mod done, I might end that too.
Thanks

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm trying to see what else I've done.... I'm trying to work right now using a Famicom Sharp Twin and a Snes Mini and GameDoctor SF7 and combining them inside the Famicom Sharp (see pic for what the sharp looks like, I have a spare case). I thought it would be pretty cool, but I'm having a hard time developing a cage for the disk drive that won't move.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
You guys are slacking.

I'm waiting on a piece before I start working the RGB mods in most of my consoles.

Add to that, my tendinitis. Holding a soldering iron, even for 5 seconds, makes my right hand hurt like hell. The last mod I did (the Atari 7800 A/V out), what normally would take ~30 mins to get the mod at least set up for testing, took almost over an hour to get done...not my finest achievement.

Anyway, planning on getting a Model 1 Saturn, at least, S-video modded before trying to sell it off...just so the buyer doesn't have to do the elusive hunt for an S-video cable for the Saturn.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Working on a Dreamcast internal VGA mod with the shadows VGA board. It's 99% done, all I have to do is just wire the VGA socket and add a ground to the headphone jack. Would have done it today but I was reconfiguring my entertainment center which involved me using a hole saw, vacuum, duster and zip ties. Just got a 46" LCD TV, thank god I didn't go with a 49" as the 46" fit just right with barely any room to spare. You'd figure the packing would allow a customer to bolt on the stand while the TV is still in the box so you don't need a third person to set up the TV.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is that a special board you have to order or can you get components to build one?

Shadows did a small run of I think 10 boards. They are about 1" x 0.75" in size.

And what does it do? Does it allow non-VGA compatible games to be used with VGA? Perhaps higher resolutions?

It's just a small board that has the VGA circuit so you don't need a VGA box. So you can install the mod internally with less clutter because of it's small size.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I followed the vga mod guide on another site, I had to build the board, it's not huge, but probably not as small as Xi's.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is the Shadow VGA board:

P8294799.jpg

And this is how he installs it in the DC, I did the same.

DCJamma_04.jpg