Console specific "I finished today" thread

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Probably the same as mmmonkey's schematic then, I take it. I may just do it that way.

Where are the connections going on the modem?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Probably the same as mmmonkey's schematic then, I take it. I may just do it that way.

Where are the connections going on the modem?

Internally they go to the points you need so you are sacrificing the modem for the mod if you choose to do it that way.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
which doesn't work anyway, unless you do the cable/dsl to land line hack, which is a little extreme lol. If you still have a land line that allows dialing out, there's only a few games that still work... QA3, etc.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I might just remove that modem anyway and place the VGA connector there...maybe on a Goodwill find.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'll keep this thread alive.

In the process of doing an internal VGA mod for my Dreamcast. I was about to wrap it up today, but when I use it on my monitor, it works for a short 10 seconds. Power cycling doesn't bring it back. Removing the plug, draining the power by clicking the power button a few times, and replugging it back in gets it to work, but again, only for 10 second.

The only thing I know that MIGHT be causing the problem is the VSync off the board. While soldering the wire to the point, I accidentally pulled the point off, too! :eek: I managed to find a small point just below the VSync spot that I soldered it to. Think that might be the cause?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Figured out the shutdown thing. Seems that I didn't have the ribbon cable for the controller board plugged in all the way. Fixed and got it working!

IMAG0315.jpg

I effed up the cut for the VGA socket, thus the ghetto look.

IMAG0317.jpg

I also underestimated how much wire to cut, hence the patch up. Thanks to Shadows for the VGA board! Made it easier to get the circuit done.

IMAG0316.jpg

YAY!

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
FWIW, you don't really need to add a phono jack on the DC for sound. Using the stock A/V cable will still give you sound just fine in VGA mode.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I see your tools are radioshack specials.. solder... helping hands, etc. :)

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yup. Well, the helping hands are from Fry's Electronics, but I'm sure they're from the same manufacturer as the Rat Shack one. I even have a shitty RS soldering iron that I'm gonna just toss since I may be getting the same soldering station that broken has.

Well, I have 2 RS irons, but I'm keeping one of them since it was the first iron I ever got and it got me through all my electronics classes and console mods...but this isn't about equipment. It's about the mods. Show them off if you got them!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I recently bought a Sparkfun 937b. It's a hakko 936 clone and even uses the hakko tips. It's badass. $40 from Microcenter.

It heats up crazy fast, holds the temp well and well built.

IMG_0788%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That's the one. I saw the thread at PCEngineFX. Insane price on it, too!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Back again.

Received a Super CDRom2 unit yesterday for my PCEngine and of course it needed some RGB lovin'

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

Replaced the stock 5 pin din with an 8 pin din and added an RGB amp.

Works great.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Back again.

Received a Super CDRom2 unit yesterday for my PCEngine and of course it needed some RGB lovin'

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

Replaced the stock 5 pin din with an 8 pin din and added an RGB amp.

Works great.

sexy :D

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Back again.

IMG_0819.JPG

That's just the standard RGB amp for a PCE, right? I'm still thinking about doing my PCE Duo.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
This is a nice thread, I hope to contribute to it in the future, but I have been slacking for the last couple of years.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'll contribute what I have. I'll post pics later
I socketed my Aes bios chip
Modded my atari 2600 that had rf issues to composite so no.more problems.
Sega saturn with a region switch
A snes controller for my aes
Fixed a couple game gears.
I seem to mod more Xbox controllers and repairs on them and also repairs on Nintendo Ds.
My next project is putting a cxa1645 in my gen1 genesis, front lit screen on a neo geo pocket, and possibly fixing a Nintendo virtual boy screen.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
you did some nice work there heavy with the jamma/mvs switches and leds, but we need to get you a proper box. But definitely "A" for effort.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The box works fine. It's just the right size for a supergun with an external JAMMA cable.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Received a PC Engine Duo-R a couple days ago and I just finished RGB modding it.

My amp (floppy for size comparison):

IMG_0937.JPG

Installed:

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

To complete the mod I removed the stock 5 pin Din and replaced it with a 8 pin din and build a RGB Scart cable for it.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Ahh, forgot about this thread. Thanks, Broken. Since I got my soldering station, I've been getting more mods done.

Not really a mod, but just a grim reminder of gaming past.
IMAG0420_zps46d7f3fb.jpg

RF Boxes removed from various consoles.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Received a PC Engine Duo-R a couple days ago and I just finished RGB modding it.

My amp (floppy for size comparison):

IMG_0937.JPG

Installed:

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

To complete the mod I removed the stock 5 pin Din and replaced it with a 8 pin din and build a RGB Scart cable for it.

That's CLEAN! Nice, man!