So the Wii U........What exactly is Nintendo playing at?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
There's nothing about this whole Amiibos thing that seems mishandled, quite the contrary, it seems to be build up to create maximum demand and hype for each wave, potential variants, etc.

Knowing that the character you like or want could be a limited printing? Holy hell, I need to run out and order it before it's on the shelves! And given what I'd suspect is the margin on these things, we need that DS gift of it printing money, except with Amiibos shitting gold coins, cuz Nintendo is going to make a mint off of these.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Yeah, I glossed over an online financial forcast that talked about the amiibos being a potential 1 billion to 1.5 billion gain for Nintendo.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm really glad I put my foot down ahead of time and refused to commit to this.

Too bad my brother is collecting this shit, so I've got to help him find them all. :oh_no:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
got wii u, mk8 and wind wanker for christmas. I´ll get to racing vs some of you fuckers sometime soon!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
There's nothing about this whole Amiibos thing that seems mishandled, quite the contrary, it seems to be build up to create maximum demand and hype for each wave, potential variants, etc.

Knowing that the character you like or want could be a limited printing? Holy hell, I need to run out and order it before it's on the shelves! And given what I'd suspect is the margin on these things, we need that DS gift of it printing money, except with Amiibos shitting gold coins, cuz Nintendo is going to make a mint off of these.

Yeah, I glossed over an online financial forcast that talked about the amiibos being a potential 1 billion to 1.5 billion gain for Nintendo.

I guess I agree, but they are doing this at the expense of some long time Nintendo fans...which I guess is also not surprising.

One bright spot in all this amiibo stupidity is that perhaps it will make 3rd parties who initially wrote off the Wii U take another look at the system...if the console sales start lifting off as well. Ya never know...

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I guess I agree, but they are doing this at the expense of some long time Nintendo fans...which I guess is also not surprising.

One bright spot in all this amiibo stupidity is that perhaps it will make 3rd parties who initially wrote off the Wii U take another look at the system...if the console sales start lifting off as well. Ya never know...

Don't think this does anything but bolster Nintendo's position to keep doing business how they choose to.

Everything from around that late 2012-first half 2013 seemed to point towards the 3rd parties being more unhappy over a)having to develop games separately for WiiU due to power limits and b) Nintendo not setting up their online system for maximum dlc/subscription service consumer wallet rapeage.

Big emphasis on that second point. I think Nintendo didn't want to play ball the way most of these larger companies want to in the gaming market now and are essentially blacklisting Nintendo, though they would never publicly come out and say it that way.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
If longterm fans were going to abandon Nintendo, they would have done it by now.

They're like someone in an abusive relationship. They know they should get out, but they keep coming back.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My brother got me a Link amiibo and hyrule warriors. The plunge for amiibos has begun.

Gonna try to not freak for a complete set but I'll buy them if I see them.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
If longterm fans were going to abandon Nintendo, they would have done it by now.

They're like someone in an abusive relationship. They know they should get out, but they keep coming back.

The sex is great, nawmean?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
My brother got me a Link amiibo and hyrule warriors. The plunge for amiibos has begun.

Gonna try to not freak for a complete set but I'll buy them if I see them.

I'm in the same boat. I am not going to go for a full set but just based on how impressed I've been with the one I have (Samus) I plan on getting more here and there as time goes on.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Heads up homies gamestop online just got more stock of pit and little Mac, so order before gone! :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah, im back in the Amiibo game. GF ended up tracking down the discontinued ones, so now I feel obligated to dive back into it. I dont think Little Mac or Pit are discontinued, so i'm still going to try to only buy the ones I like. Toon Link and Luigi on pre order.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ha welcome to the club man ;)
Luigi is definitely out now, I've actually seen quite a few of him around.

FYI TRU is doing a buy 1 get 1 40% off deal right now.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Has anyone tried Duck Hunt on the VC with a gun accessory? I know you can disable the crosshairs, but I'd like to know if aim down sights (in real life, aiming down the sights of the gun accessory that's physically in your hand) works. Without a calibration option, I don't see it working well, and I haven't heard about a calibration option.

I typically avoid VC stuff because I don't want to pay for teh romz, but classic light gun games on new TVs don't usually work out.

I don't even like Duck Hunt that much. I much prefer the Vs. Duck Hunt version. I even have that old RetroZone reproduction cartridge. The way the game switches between the two modes and adds in that bonus round is simply awesome. However, I'll take what Duck Hunt I can get.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Has anyone tried Duck Hunt on the VC with a gun accessory? I know you can disable the crosshairs, but I'd like to know if aim down sights (in real life, aiming down the sights of the gun accessory that's physically in your hand) works. Without a calibration option, I don't see it working well, and I haven't heard about a calibration option.

I typically avoid VC stuff because I don't want to pay for teh romz, but classic light gun games on new TVs don't usually work out.

I don't even like Duck Hunt that much. I much prefer the Vs. Duck Hunt version. I even have that old RetroZone reproduction cartridge. The way the game switches between the two modes and adds in that bonus round is simply awesome. However, I'll take what Duck Hunt I can get.

I've been playing Link's Crossbow training a ton this week, and the gun works pretty well. However, you really need to calibrate it properly to play without crosshairs. It's not 1:1 like the old school Zapper.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I've been playing Link's Crossbow training a ton this week, and the gun works pretty well. However, you really need to calibrate it properly to play without crosshairs. It's not 1:1 like the old school Zapper.

Does Duck Hunt support calibration like Link's Crossbow Training does?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Got the mario deluxe set for my daughter plus mk8, dktf, bayo2....so I'll be playing the heck out if her gift. I wanna get my race on.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Mario Kart 8 is a given. I've had a bitch of a time finding the right combo of wheels, wings, and carts, but I think I've hit on it and finally got 1st place on 150cc.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Mario Kart 8 is a given. I've had a bitch of a time finding the right combo of wheels, wings, and carts, but I think I've hit on it and finally got 1st place on 150cc.

What is your combo? I got the DLC last night and tried using link in the fzero blue falcon cart and did horribly :-) I switched over to Koopa troopa and did much better. Which the new tracks are great btw!

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I now have an addendum question to my question about the new VC Duck Hunt's calibration.

Does VC Duck Hunt have input lag?

I was just playing the demos of the NES games on the Smash Bros. disc, and the input lag is preposterous. I googled around and found some reports of actual downloaded games having this kind of lag. It seems there are a lot of teenyboppers who wouldn't know better clogging up the information on what kind of lag there may or may not be, but it seems there are a few people out there that have grown up with these games and notice that something is terribly wrong.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I now have an addendum question to my question about the new VC Duck Hunt's calibration.

Does VC Duck Hunt have input lag?

I was just playing the demos of the NES games on the Smash Bros. disc, and the input lag is preposterous. I googled around and found some reports of actual downloaded games having this kind of lag. It seems there are a lot of teenyboppers who wouldn't know better clogging up the information on what kind of lag there may or may not be, but it seems there are a few people out there that have grown up with these games and notice that something is terribly wrong.

Unfortunately I can't help you with questions regarding lag or calibration for Duck Hunt on the VC... I have no intention of buying that title. However, I can speak for Virtual Console games in general - I have not noticed lag in the NES & SNES games I have purchased, personally. The emulation/controls seem near perfect to me. My only gripe with the VC is inability to change button configuration per game. I sort of worked around this by buying many different types of controllers...

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Unfortunately I can't help you with questions regarding lag or calibration for Duck Hunt on the VC... I have no intention of buying that title. However, I can speak for Virtual Console games in general - I have not noticed lag in the NES & SNES games I have purchased, personally. The emulation/controls seem near perfect to me. My only gripe with the VC is inability to change button configuration per game. I sort of worked around this by buying many different types of controllers...

That's interesting. The SNES games did seem to have much less lag. Playing SMB1, though, holy crap. It felt like I was playing on an underpowered PC at too high a resolution...

Which gets me thinking. I'm running my Wii at 1080p. I wonder if it would change if I downed it to 720p. Well, it's getting late. Maybe tomorrow.

I was playing some Sonic: Lost World earlier. That game's amazing. Perhaps it's not perfect, perhaps it's far from perfect, but it's something different. It's colorful and exciting. The level of imagination is off the charts. I highly recommend tracking down a new copy of the Deadly Six Bonus Edition, too, because that exclusive Nights level is pretty sweet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've tried Punch Out at various resolutions and it lags like a bitch no matter what, I can't beat it even though I can cruise through the game on a real system. Funny thing, nes emulation on the Wii side is better imo.

The snes lag is almost non-existent. If I can play through all three Megaman X games, I consider it non issue.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I've tried Punch Out at various resolutions and it lags like a bitch no matter what, I can't beat it even though I can cruise through the game on a real system. Funny thing, nes emulation on the Wii side is better imo.

The snes lag is almost non-existent. If I can play through all three Megaman X games, I consider it non issue.

Mo' info.

I also changed my mind. It's not too late. I downgraded my Wii U to 720p, and the lag was maybe reduced a bit, but not by much.

I was actually really worried about my TV (for no good reason), so I switched over to my PC. I have my PC set up for Steam Big Picture Mode, but it's a PC. I can boot up an NES emulator no problem. I was able to hit on every nuance I put into World 1-1 of SMB1 after playing it for over 20 years without fail with the free PC emulator. Joy to the world, and screw paying for teh romz.

I haven't paid for teh romz on the original Wii side, but I found playing original Wii games on the Wii U to work very, very well.

Also, all those kiddies who couldn't tell that all of those 720p Wii U games are 720p should really try some PC gaming and get an eye for true 1080p resolutions. While I was doing the NES emulation lag test, I also tried out regular Smash Bros. gameplay at 720p and 1080p. I could easily see how my TV was upscaling the lower resolution image while the higher resolution image had extra definition. I was looking at the jaggies on the wings of the Arwings. It's easy to see how jaggy games like Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 can be even after going through the Wii U's own upscaling. That's not to say those games don't look good, but I have to laugh at the controversy and blind assumptions surrounding those games, especially Mario Kart 8.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

That's interesting. The SNES games did seem to have much less lag.

Now that you guys mention these points, I realize I only have 1 NES game on the Wii U that I hardly play - I have more NES games on my original Wii console, which I have left connected to a SD CRT TV via component. On my Wii U - I mostly play F-Zero, Demon's Crest, Final Fight 3, & Megaman X, which, as GohanX mentioned, requires *delicate* controls haha.

Last edited: