Recall info for SSVS AES

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I see. I can't see SNKP making that distinction, but it can't hurt to ask.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Shawn,

It looks like Raz may indeed be able to revive the fatalities!! What are you thoughts on this? Will you be able to offer unfixed SSVS carts still? I would rather go with Raz's fix than sending it back to Playmore.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
SeaWolf69 said:
Shawn,

It looks like Raz may indeed be able to revive the fatalities!! What are you thoughts on this? Will you be able to offer unfixed SSVS carts still? I would rather go with Raz's fix than sending it back to Playmore.

The item is off hold at the Neo store, so buy one while you can.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
ahhhhhh.... now I'm wondering if I should just keep the unfixed SS5S ... I have not shipped my copy yet.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Tiptonium said:
ahhhhhh.... now I'm wondering if I should just keep the unfixed SS5S ... I have not shipped my copy yet.

I'm sure it would be pretty interesting to see what they do with this but just the fact that SNKP formally announced that they would tamper with the original game code offering partial fatalities and or eliminating generic fatalities was enough to scare me away.
I really like SSV but it left alot to be desired in the way of 1player return value due to a poor AI and the lack of fatalities imo.
Well SSVS may have better gameplay but some bright spots were eliminated,that being Sankuro,Yumeji,Poppy,jpn story mode and now to have a pull back and or altering of the lovely original fatalities found on MVS is a non release imo.
It would seem alost like the spin,"Less is More" in regards to SSVS with the elimination and or altering of fatalities.
-BB

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
What the hey! I made my decision... finally. I'm taking Playmore up on their offer to fix the SS5S I purchased. I mailed my US cart back to Neo-Geo.Com this morning. Please take good care of my cart... I look forward to having it returned to me some day soon.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Tiptonium said:
What the hey! I made my decision... finally. I'm taking Playmore up on their offer to fix the SS5S I purchased. I mailed my US cart back to Neo-Geo.Com this morning. Please take good care of my cart... I look forward to having it returned to me some day soon.

This is a bit of a surprise... I didn't think anyone would send it back.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
I really like SSV but it left alot to be desired in the way of 1player return value due to a poor AI and the lack of fatalities imo.

I'd like to know how the AI in SSV is so piss poor because it hands me my ass damn near everytime I play.

BIG BEAR said:
Well SSVS may have better gameplay but some bright spots were eliminated,that being Sankuro,Yumeji,Poppy,jpn story mode and now to have a pull back and or altering of the lovely original fatalities found on MVS is a non release imo.

You're probably the only person I know who actually misses that Original Zero reject. Fatalities were in SSV, but since no vids were ever shown of them I guess no one flew off about their abscence as much as they did in SSVS.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
finngamer said:

The fewer the better. ;)

I think this is the best way to go, at leat for me since none of my systems have the unibios. I could easily convert one of them since JMKURTZ used a socket for the last system I had modded! But the others...

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
YeldellGW said:
Fatalities were in SSV, but since no vids were ever shown of them I guess no one flew off about their abscence as much as they did in SSVS.

What are you talking about?

Fatalities weren't in SSV. At least, not in any visible from. That was acceptable. But beacuse the fatalities WERE in the MVS of SSVS, naturally it is a whole different story from the SSV's absent fatalities.

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
finngamer said:

I sent mine back over a week ago. I got my system modded by !Arcade! and it has a debug BIOS in it. I don't want to ship my system to anyone since I paid so much to have mine modded. In fact, I got the !Arcade! Ultra MOD which adds new hardware to the system. It got a new video and sound card in the system as well as a sound AMP. I am worried that my system might get messed up if I try to add something else to it so I have decided to get my game fixed by Playmore. I know it won't be perfect but it is better than nothing.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
What are you talking about?

Fatalities weren't in SSV. At least, not in any visible from. That was acceptable. But beacuse the fatalities WERE in the MVS of SSVS, naturally it is a whole different story from the SSV's absent fatalities.

You already answered your own question.

Fatalities were in SSV but were never revealed until after the game was released (Thoses sheets with the beheaded and split opened characters are from SSV). It's the same situation here, except fatalities were in Special from the start. And many didn't find that acceptable. I won't even start on how many complained about the extras moves that didn't get used in KOF 96.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
YeldellGW said:

Fatalities were in SSV but were never revealed until after the game was released (Thoses sheets with the beheaded and split opened characters are from SSV). It's the same situation here, except fatalities were in Special from the start. And many didn't find that acceptable. I won't even start on how many complained about the extras moves that didn't get used in KOF 96.

I really don't follow you. How can you compare a decision to leave out the fatalities altogether from SSV, and the decision to censor the fatalities off at the last minute, causing bugs, from SSVS. And falsely advertising, I might add.

You honestly wonder why people "flew off about their absence" more in the case of SSVS? Isn't it obvious?

setsuna.lee

World Soccer '96
here is a mod run of SSZSP back from snkp

detail

detail

thx to kurisutohu for the msg onf nfg forums (fr) http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=220870#post220870

as you can see snkp use an old sticker to " mark" mod on the AES

about the censor issue they simply take out all member cruality like cut heads etc ..

and yes suija got his blood rain

Last edited:

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I'm glad they re-instated Suija's "blood rain" fatality (that one and Hanzo's are two of the coolest, IMO), but I still think I'd prefer Raz's cheat codes which enable all of the overkills.

motoslave

n00b
I hope this means we'll be getting our carts back by the end of the month...
:multi_co:

setsuna.lee can you please clarify your post a little? You mention that all cruelty was removed like beheading, but the photo albums you linked up to in the French Neo forum clearly show Basara's fatality untouched. I would assume that would have been taken out?

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
I really don't follow you. How can you compare a decision to leave out the fatalities altogether from SSV, and the decision to censor the fatalities off at the last minute, causing bugs, from SSVS. And falsely advertising, I might add.

You honestly wonder why people "flew off about their absence" more in the case of SSVS? Isn't it obvious?

You're kidding right? One of the reasons SSV has been dubbed the worst game by purists is because fatalities were never used. And who said I was wondering why people got pissed about SSVS. I've read the topics and all. I've played plenty of SS games where fatalities weren't present and still got the same amount of enjoyment out of them. This isn't exactly the first time a game was censored for a home release. While the circumstances may have been different this time (Sure there were vids of the kill moves, and I'm sure those were of the arcade version.). Yeah, stuff got cut at the last minute, but it's not like this is the first time such things happened (Maybe for the Neo.).

While it's great that a recall's being done, I don't see myself getting excited just for some fixed bugs and kill moves I rarely used just for killing bosses. If I need the full arcade experience, I'll get the thing modded otherwise, it's just another game that isn't 100% accurate to it's arcade counterpart (Sure as hell not the 1st time that's happened, doubt it'll be the last.).

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
YeldellGW said:
You're kidding right? One of the reasons SSV has been dubbed the worst game by purists is because fatalities were never used. And who said I was wondering why people got pissed about SSVS. I've read the topics and all. I've played plenty of SS games where fatalities weren't present and still got the same amount of enjoyment out of them. This isn't exactly the first time a game was censored for a home release. While the circumstances may have been different this time (Sure there were vids of the kill moves, and I'm sure those were of the arcade version.). Yeah, stuff got cut at the last minute, but it's not like this is the first time such things happened (Maybe for the Neo.).

What are we talking about here? I think this thing basically started when you said that the the issue of removing the fatalities was the SAME on both SSV and SSVS. Naturally, this kind of claim is just wrong. As far as everyone is concerned (especially the purists you talk about), SSV doesn't have, or never had, fatalities.

Also, it can't be compared to some blood lock-out of an AES cart, because the owners of unmodded US AES's knew their game would be without blood. But pop that same cart on a JAP system, and it's fixed. So no censoring there.

YeldellGW said:
While it's great that a recall's being done, I don't see myself getting excited just for some fixed bugs and kill moves I rarely used just for killing bosses. If I need the full arcade experience, I'll get the thing modded otherwise, it's just another game that isn't 100% accurate to it's arcade counterpart (Sure as hell not the 1st time that's happened, doubt it'll be the last.).

Nobody should get excited about the half-fix. Uni BIOS is the only way to go.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
motoslave said:
but the photo albums you linked up to in the French Neo forum clearly show Basara's fatality untouched. I would assume that would have been taken out?

at which page did you find this pic. I can't find any in game pics. (unless you're referring to the page that has the original fatalities)

motoslave

n00b
k'_127 said:
at which page did you find this pic. I can't find any in game pics. (unless you're referring to the page that has the original fatalities)

setsuna had posted on the NGF board some fatalities. I'm assuming he posted the original ones then, not the modded ones? Babelfish didn't work for me this time ;).

So I emailed NCS on Friday asking when the modded carts will be returned to us. The email was read but not replied to. I'm starting to get worried, esp w/ Shawn not replying to this thread. I don't think we'll know until after they're shipped to Japan. Seeing them already coming back to Japanese hands is a promising sign, though.

Anyway I can't believe I shipped out a $350 cart not knowing a) what's going to be done to it and b) when the hell I'm getting it back. Was I smoking somethin' when I was packing my cart up or what? :oh_no:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Maybe it's just me, and since everybody is sending back their carts....

Isn't the SSVS fatalities edited cart going to become a collectors item in the future. I mean it's going to be an extremely rare item.....

I was just thinking about this. Sorry if this comment is in the wrong thread, it just came to my mind as I was reading this....

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I believe the unedited one will be the rarer, unless of course Shawn holds a lot of stock back from the recall. In light of this, he just may. Only the pre-order customers got the 'flawed' cart remember. :eye:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
YeldellGW said:

Man, the shame is a NeoGeo home release being butchered in regards of its REGULAR ARCADE VERSION.

This is against the NeoGeo philosophy and reason to be.

gware

n00b
I heard a rumur that only the preorder carts were effected by the recall is this true? and is there any way to tell if the cart has been fixed or not